• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Need Help You can get this from a captain of an enemy ship if you are civilized towards him

IllyrianKiller

Landlubber
I have fought both pirates and the french and taken ships. Both times when I have boarded the only option has been the fight the captain. Is this something that requires a certain level of reputation or am I missing something?

Other then the "unlock by getting a book" I am struggling to understand the requirements to unlock some abilities.

Any explanations would be greatly appreciated.

Believe it has to do with the odds of you winning, if the odds really favor you sometimes the enemy crew might not want to fight but the captain will want.

At least, that's how i understand it.

Thank you for the welcome. I only found out about this community last week and I love it.

Does anyone else have more specific information?

Other abilities give you exactly what you need to do to unlock such as : "Gain a governor's trust to enable this Ability. - need to be Commander Rank in Navy - or Knight Rank as Privateer - or Famous Pirate Rank with Pirates"

But 3 or 4 all have that very vague instructions of "You can get this from a captain of an enemy ship if you are civilized towards him" I just don't know how to be civilized I guess :(

I will grab a screenshot of the next time. However both times I have boarded a surrendered ship the captain I talked to I had no other option then to fight. I will get some more specific details soon as I can

Edit: I was also playing without the patch updates so that may have been the issue? I dont know. Will figure that out next time I can board a ship.

So... I just won my first battle on the updated patched game. annnnnd nope. All the enemy captain said after they surrendered was basically "I want to introduce you to my sword" and then fight started. :( So some minimum stats must be required before captains don't fight?

:ahoy@IllyrianKiller Welcome aboard! :pflag

Yes, you might want to update your game for better game experience anyway. Everything you need should be here. If you have the same Part 2 then just run the installer and only choose "updates" then extract @Grey Roger 's files or the Extra Fix Archive to your main game directory where the ENGINE.exe is at and not the PROGRAM folder replacing the previous ones.
Also it would be helpful if you upload the .log files when reporting something odd for future references. log files.png <-----These files. And most of the times when you encounter problems there will also be a file named "error" so include that as well. These files will help other people to further check what's going on with your game. The "compile" file tells us what game version you currently have, etc.
Also here's a trick I always say to new members that is really helpful that I've learned here as well. After you put in a lot of hours into the game, there's a file that can get corrupted options file.png especially if you have been modding other files. Try deleting that then modify your options again at the main menu if you have customized it the first time because it will be set to default. And if that won't solve the issue then report it back here.

Finally, if you want to remove the perks'/abilities' extra prerequisites besides having another ability to unlock it for some,
go to the PROGRAM folder and open the file named InternalSettings.h, you can do it with Notepad then search for this line:
Code:
#define    ALLOW_LOCKED_PERKS                1        // BOOL     - Default = 1, If 1 perks can be locked. If 0 no perks can be locked.
As you can see the extra prerequisites are there as Default so just change the 1 to a 0.
Now you'll only need to have skill/perk points now to unlock abilities besides the other ones that will need another perk/ability to unlock. Although I'm not sure if this would affect your current save but it shouldn't. :beer:

I appreciate the information. I don't want to remove the prerequisites to unlocking any perks/abilities. I just was hoping anyone could explain what this "
You can get this from a captain of an enemy ship if you are civilized towards him" specific requirement means. No ones seems to be able to give me a knowledgeable answer. I reloaded from before the corrupted save and once again captured the french ship. the captain gave me no option again and we fought. I did this after updating to the latest version of the mod. So still no explanations.

The relevant code is either in the Captured or Prisoned dialog files.
Somebody would need to look there to see where the unlocking happens.

The clue is in your dialog. If you are allowed to say "Let's be civilized about this." then the Captain's response will be "???". Then you will have some decisions to make. I will say no more about this.

If an enemy ship surrenders, the first thing that is checked is the sum of "Leadership" and "Melee" skills - if the enemy captain's total is higher then he thinks you're a weakling and will fight. Depending on his reputation, not yours, he will say different things, but the end result is the same, a duel.

If you beat him on skill then it goes to abilities. If he has "Professional Fencer" and "Iron Will", and you do not, then again, he'll fight.

There are exceptions based on ship class. If his ship is at least two classes smaller than yours, e.g. you're in a tier 4 frigate and he's in a tier 6 schooner, he will never duel, regardless of skills and abilities. On the other hand, if his ship is at least two classes bigger than yours, e.g. you're in the schooner and he's in the frigate, then he will always duel regardless of skills and abilities - that's to prevent you from simply helping yourself to a much larger ship, especially if it surrendered because someone else has been pounding it.

If the captain does not duel for any reason then a whole load of new dialog options become available, one of which is "Let's be civilised about this". So if you're trying to unlock an ability which requires you to talk to an enemy captain, try attacking something much smaller than your own ship.

Back