• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Your Favorite European Country of the 1600s (Take 2)

What is your Favorite European Naval Power Country of the 1600s?

• England

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • France

• Spain

• The Netherlands

• Holland

• Denmark

• Sweden

• Russia

• Pronvinces of Italy

• Portugal

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain_Python

Rogue Scholar
This thread will eventually have a poll, when it is decided what countries fit and or qualify for the following three qualifications:
-Must exist during the 17th Centuries
-Must have at least a small, noticeable navy that fought in wars in Europe and over colonies.
-Must be a European Country

I think that Russia should not really be in the poll. How often do you hear about Russia during the 1600s with a major navy?

The Russian navy was formed in the 1690s under Peter Romanov , previously it had been a case of using whatever ships could be hired or purchased , apart from one example of a ship ordered from Denmark which had the task of capturing or plundering any ship sailing that wasn't Russian .

You said it was formed in the 1690s. How big was this navy? How long did it take to get to a descent size and organization? I think that this navy might have been just a little bit late for the 1600s.

Russia was landlocked except for the very northern Atlantic and Artic Oceans. I doubt that many people could sail through there.

Diomed ; you forget the Baltic and Black seas . Python ;First building program was 4 ships , 120 galleys and 4 fire ships , 2 of the 4 initial ships foundered due to poor design , maybe they should have `sub-contracted` the work to the Danes . The ideas behind forming the Navy were to open up the Baltic from Swedish dominance , to control Polish piracy and to gain control of the northern fur trade from the atlantic to the pacific . They were not very successful .

I still don't think Russia is big enough to count for during the 1600s. Also, about half those ship probably went to the Baltic and Black Sea, not the Atlantic and Caribbean. I should have noted that we are trying to concentrait on the Mediteranian, Atlantic, and Caribbean.

Seems Fred Bob be readin' somewhars dat de Baltic states such as Latvia, Estonia, an' Lithuania were known fer shipbuildin', Riga bein' an example port whar good spars an' cordage an' pitch were available. :b:

I have a great article about russian pirates on the black sea. I believe they raided turkish ships and colonies. I will have to dig it out for you guys.

<!--`QuoteBegin-Captain_Python`+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Captain_Python)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I think that Russia should not really be in the poll. How often do you hear about Russia during the 1600s with a major navy?[/quote]

russia had a very large fleet, you most likley don't know much about history, do you?, they had the baltic and pacific, russia was doing alot of trading at that time with england and many of the asian nations, and there were many pirates all about those regions, you know how far down russia goes? down to korea china and japan, all the way to finland and norway, know who were in that area? vikings, they are considered pirates, lets see, russia had very large ships also, from small 10 gun boats to 100+ gun ships, lets see there were russian colonization of california in late 1500's, and at that time there were `spainish-russian` fights at San Francisco, that lasted till mid 1800's and there are still preservation and restoration of the forts that russia made there.

Hmm... good info thar, Mihail. Please tellin' more details about de `spainish-russian` fights at San Francisco! There is a Russian River in northern California, Fred Bob be knowin'! :b:

Be tellin' us about Sitka also. :d:

Aye, Oregon an' Washington were claimed at one point by England, Russia, and Spain at de same time! None o' them really controlled it, except the Indians. :d:

Wasn't thar a major naval war between Russia an' Japan around 1900? :?

I don't know much about the fights there, but they were mainly naval fights, that river is called atleast here, Slavyanka, and yes there was a `russian-japanese` war in the early 1900's, that only lasted a year or so

<!--`QuoteBegin-Tribesman`+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tribesman)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->The Russian navy was formed in the 1690s under Peter Romanov , previously it had been a case of using whatever ships could be hired or purchased , apart from one example of a ship ordered  from Denmark which had the task of capturing or plundering any ship sailing that wasn't Russian .[/quote]

peter the great

Damm, I missed this OTHER thread... well, make it short:

What are you asking for, Python? What's your aim? (And NO, ITALY doesn't existed until 1800s! A bit o'respect for Venice who fought ALONE against the Ottomans, aye)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back