• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Your Style of Play

shovelmonkey

Landlubber
Howdy all, first post:

How do you find yourself playing the game? I'm not into the quests, personally. My typical game is: Start as a merchant, start building a fleet. I usually try to stick with officers that are good natured, as it seems quite abit easier to maintain their loyalty by just running some Fed Ex missions for the store merchants. As my fleet and skills grow I start taking down some pirates and the occasional enemy merchant convoy. I also like to jump into existing fights to "help" my side out, usually trying to board an easy target for a quick buck.

So far my favorite early ship is the schooner, seems like things really start coming together for me combat wise once I get one. Good alround ship.

I am looking to broaden my scope of play, however. Outside of quests (as I mentioned, I'm not into them) what else is fun? Are doing dungeons / caves entertaining or worthwile? I've also pondered going full pirate but I'm concerned about bein able to stay supplied with men, food and rum if I'm limited to only pirate ports.

So, back to the question: How do you play?

me playing Peter Blood as a pirate, i do the French national quest for its 2 Soleyru. Smuggle, and smuggle a lot. Make millions of piasters then i start to do all the main quests. I also attack cites. I docked 5 manowars for this purposes. Some i loot, some i keep, some i transfer to France. Especially cities that belong to England and Spain.

My favourite is to sail with 4 ships, Seawolf, Wardog, Bluebird and BrigQueen. Then prey on merchants (Spainish and English), either ask them for ransom or board them, loot and let them go.
I also like the <b>pirate's proposition</b> and e<b>asy pickings</b> quests.

Obviously i also attack pirates, since they are a nuisance -- i throw them all overboard.

I don't like the quests, they are often a bunch of garbled barely coherent text anyway. I just do the missions for governors because they are pretty straight forward, and smuggle slaves or wood(!) here and there for a quick million.

Brigantine is my favorite ship early on, then corvette when I'm able. A corvette with 32 pounders is pretty mean. I got the bluebird, but I hate it for it's flimsy sails.

Try smuggling. The first sailing perk I always take is the spanish flag(playing as an Englishman)that way I can start smuggling right away. Wait till nightfall at a Spanish port, run up the Spanish flag, get close to the port and work on stealth. I've found that ships can see through the ruse more than forts can, no problem, it builds up skill every time your made out. When I go to enemy ports for the first time I always bring alot of food since it may take a while for ships to leave port and allow you to moor. This is just a scouting mission anyway, no need to worry about hold space for swag. Once in town I go to tavern, get a room till morn. or play cards till dawn if a rummy is willing. At dawn head to shop, browse their goods and see what the contraband list is. Buy food, planks, and canvas to repair the sails that will be shot to hell upon my flight from port. Back to tavern, gamble till midnight, then head back to ship. Move on to next spanish port. Get a bunch of scallywag officers and make your fortune. I like outmaneuvering and fighting my way through the coast guard ships. Its a change of pace from the war. And with any mod that includes the "smuggler" mod you can have the coast guard ships taken care of for a price. Nice addition IMO.

1. I get a fast vessel, rape some trading ships, sell the stuff to smugglers.
2. Get a mother ship, rape more, sell more stuff to smugglers.
3. Occasionally buy tons of silver real cheap n sell it somewhere on the way.

I guess thats some Pirate/Blooded Trader play style :onya

My playing style is to take a few merchant jobs on from stores, when i get bored i stock my ship up and look for sea battles between friendly nations and pirates, i then enter battle to help build my skill levels up faster, i use chainshots followed by grapeshots when the masts have been destroyed. I then loot the ship and if i have a captain on board i will capture the ship if not i will let it sink in less the captain surrendered in which case i let him go. After a while my skills are good enough to hold my own in battles and i actually hit things, not alway's ships but its better than it was. I then start hunting down pirates and building my skills up further. I alway's let any captured captains go i never hand them over to any nation. When i get bored of that and have enough piaster's to afford to run a nice fleet i buy a few galleons and start trading for mega piaster's, when i get bored i start looting enemy ships till i get a few man o wars at which point i loot enemy ports, i do a few quests as and when i feel like it but generally i don't do many quests, i can play the game for 5 hours a day for the whole week and still not do any quests.

I'm more into quests, money is quite easy to reach in this game so trading is kinda boring to me. Atm doing Ascold and Enchanted City quest and at the same time trying to capture some cities for fun. Have 2 MOW in fleet and a Bluebeard in port control wich almost completly satisfy all my needs. The only real problem is food and inability to keep the city i captured for a long time.

I like sailing a single small, fast ship. Brigantine, Bluebird, or Dog of War. Taking down pirates, later on preying on gold convoys. Quests are fun, they liven up the monotony. I also like collecting quest officers and the free captains with unique models.

I started with nationality as Merchant spain at some point (to steal the plane of the frigate in the shipyard) turned and pursued the enemy my friends, so I became a pirate and in retaliation I attack Spanish ships :keith . I am currently a 'bloodthirsty pirate' with officers of equal standing (hero do not go into my ship ... hehehe) I have some ships in Dutch ports (only ones that do not address that and accept me in your port ...) and gold as a prize on my head, the other 3 countries ... it filled the prisons of Holland with enemies captains trapped sailors and the sea ... I do not like slaves, virt todfos shark food ... uses an American frigate (constitution) and a standard frigate... names SHADOWS and DARKNESS ( Remember the movie the lion killers ) :rolleyes:

Back