• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Fixed Leveling: Quest Officers Do Not Level-Up Like Normal Officers

Grey Roger

Sea Dog
Staff member
Administrator
Storm Modder
Here are Artois Voysey's skills from his entry in "PROGRAM\Characters\init\officers.c":
Code:
   ch.skill.Leadership = "3";
   ch.skill.Fencing = "1";
   ch.skill.Sailing = "5";
   ch.skill.Accuracy = "1";
   ch.skill.Cannons = "1";
   ch.skill.Grappling = "1";
   ch.skill.Repair = "1";
   ch.skill.Defence = "1";
   ch.skill.Commerce = "3";
   ch.skill.Sneak = "1";

And here's how he appeared when I hired him at Nevis Pirate Settlement:
artois.jpg

It's as if his skills, instead of being exactly as defined, are converted into a fraction of a point by being multiplied by 60%.

Even if character skills would be completely newly generated based on officer type, he should still have some skills assigned being a level 3 character.
That is indeed definitely wrong.
Uhm.... @Levis.....?

If a character doesn't has the questchar attribute he will be generated according to the new rules. There's checked if he has a level set and which level he should be if you count 2 skillpoints being 1 level.
The highest one should be assigned to him and he should get xp accordingly. It seems something is going wrong there cause he should be at least 4.

If a character doesn't has the questchar attribute he will be generated according to the new rules.
Is that something like this?
Code:
ch.quest.officertype = OFFIC_TYPE_NAVIGATOR; // added by MAXIMUS
That's also in Artois Voysey's entry in "officers.c".

In the game I started yesterday I have Mr. Gibbs, Baldewyn Coffier, and Artois Voisey and they all started at level 1 with all points at 1-1. I am now at level 9 and Voisey has moved to level2.

Also, there is something odd going on with their perk points as they show 2 points but when I try to assign them they disappear.

Ah I see the problem here.
This is because Artois is defined in both sidequest and officers.c
@Pieter Boelen could you check which one is the right one? I think the one if officers, this one should be moved to sidequest I think.

If someone wants please check if there are more which are define multiple times.

Joaquin De Masse in the Animist side quest is the same - all skill levels 1-1. He should be a soldier but is generated as a Shop Merchant.

Joaquin De Masse in the Animist side quest is the same - all skill levels 1-1. He should be a soldier but is generated as a Shop Merchant.
The shop merchant could be possible. I have a fix in place already but its not quite done yet.
Does he still has all level 1 now? He should be round level 8 ...
Else could you provide me with a savegame before you encounter him?

I haven't got to that part of the game yet - I play it as though I was a newbie so that I find any issues that might not be found by skipping with the cheat codes etc.
Should know by the weekend.

@Levis about the "shop merchant" thing: Is that something that can happen for quest officers that don't have a type pre-assigned?
Should we add types for them all? Or can we exclude some types being used at random.

For quest officers, do the skill values from the init files take precedence over the new system you're working on?
If not, we might want to keep that so quest writers have some control over what they're getting with their characters.... :oops:

This is because Artois is defined in both sidequest and officers.c
I only see him in Officers.c where he should be. Sidequest.c does contain a reference to his name, but that is just in a comment.

Never mind see the problem already.
This will be fixed in the update I post tomorrow.

@Levis about the "shop merchant" thing: Is that something that can happen for quest officers that don't have a type pre-assigned?
Should we add types for them all? Or can we exclude some types being used at random.

For quest officers, do the skill values from the init files take precedence over the new system you're working on?
If not, we might want to keep that so quest writers have some control over what they're getting with their characters.... :oops:
If the character is set as a questchar it will keep whatever he or she has. Nothing will be changed. I assume questwriters give that to theire characters if they are important.
The values from the init are taken into account. If someone has certain skills already he will have a higher importance for that skill so he will progress more quickly in that one.

The shop merchant is because they are set on LAI_type_merchant for some reason ....
I forgot to include a test where the shop merchant is set. Now it will only be set if no other officertype is set already. And I'm probably going to move this to 1 large function to handle everything.

I assume questwriters give that to theire characters if they are important.
That attribute was originally meant just as an exception for the "cabin fight" functionality.
I don't think any quest writers have been deliberately adding it to their characters, though most might have it due to copy-pasting of code.

Well, else it can be added when the system causes problems :).

Back