• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Ship Pack Details and Updates

For removing a ship, just remove the code and the files used by it. Don't miss any references and leave any files used by other ships. :shrug

Ah, no that's not what I meant. I mean removing it as part of a patch or ship pack, not just in my game. :facepalm

Well, removing the files from somebody else's game would require making a Batch file, but we shouldn't need to care about removing those files.
After all, if they'll do a new install in the future, it'll end up nice and clean. No need making things more complicated on yourself. :facepalm

Hello,

so how are the *Updated* Ship Pack coming Armada?

any release date? :woot

With best regards
Meyer189 :onya

The preliminary version is already available a couple of pages before this one and requires testing. :doff

While testing out the Revolutions period, I encountered a French Squadron of 6 or 7 ships and all but 2 of them were the USS Constitution model of frigates. Which looked really weird because I was already sailing around in the Constitution. So there were like 5 or 6 Constitutions all running around in a single battle.
user_comment.gif

Were they the actual US version of the Constitution or her French counterpart?

There is ALWAYS a small chance that you will encounter the player ship in random encounters, even if the player ship is unique.
The reason is that if the game cannot find a suitable ship for the encounter quickly enough, it will default to the player ship.
This is why I've occasionally encountered the Black Pearl. :facepalm

I know why the above has been done and it makes sense to a certain extent.
However, I'd prefer a better solution, but can't really think of any.

All of them were the exact same version of the Constitution that I was in. The only difference was they were flying French flags and I was flying American.

I'm pretty much done here. The only other time line that I can check is the Assassin quest.

Did anyone ever look into that phantom collision thing I talked about last week? I've had it happen again.

so how are the *Updated* Ship Pack coming Armada?

any release date? :woot
I don't like working with release dates much, in case I have to keep pushing it back for delays.
The updates are in progress, however, and you can expect the official release of the 'Lite version' within the forum pretty soon. :dance
Then, I'll upload a test version of the 'Full' pack, before going on to officially releasing both on ModDB.
I expect Craiggo will release the CoAS version a short time after I release the PotC ones.

There is ALWAYS a small chance that you will encounter the player ship in random encounters, even if the player ship is unique.
The reason is that if the game cannot find a suitable ship for the encounter quickly enough, it will default to the player ship.
This is why I've occasionally encountered the Black Pearl. :facepalm

I know why the above has been done and it makes sense to a certain extent.
However, I'd prefer a better solution, but can't really think of any.
Would a better solution be to increase ALL encounter chances together? Surely that might make the game revert to the player ship less often. :shrug

I'm pretty much done here. The only other time line that I can check is the Assassin quest.
'Done' as in 'no more issues to report'? :woot

I might've missed that one; what was that again...? :?
The classic collision detection problems. Such weird and not so wonderful anomalies. :modding

Would a better solution be to increase ALL encounter chances together? Surely that might make the game revert to the player ship less often. :shrug
That would work. The more ships we limit, the higher the chance of the player ship being copied. So the higher we make the chances for ships to appear, the less frequently this will happen.
Of course we don't want to limit it TOO much, since we don't want to lose all your fine balancing work. And there ARE other methods.
For one thing, we could just make the game search a bit longer. It'd take a bit more processing time, but decrease the chance of it happening as well.

I'm pretty sure that if we increase the encounter chances for every ship by the same fixed amount (or maybe percentage), no balancing work will be compromised.
However, I'm guessing this would take a LONG time, unless there are any fancy short-cuts we could use in the code?

How easy would it be to make the game search longer? Perhaps we should try that first.

The only other time frame I can do is the Assassin. I played that just a couple of months ago and it was fine. Le Courrone was there. I need to get back to a modern time frame now.

I have been seeing the frigate6 and this monster. :shock

Well if you're happy on the whole, I'll start fixing and compiling the various bits we need to fix the problems, and once tested, I can release this version officially! :drunk

PROGRAM\Ships\Ships.c contains the relevant code:
Code:
	// Screwface
bool finish = false;
int end = 0; // Security to avoid infinite loop
while(!finish && end < 100) // maximum of 100 loop should be enough
{
int iShipType = Fantom_GetShipType(maxclass, minclass, type, nat);
if(iShipType < SHIP_TYPES_QUANTITY && iShipType >= 0)
{
finish = true;
}
else
{
end++;
}
}
if(finish){return iShipType;}
else{return GetCharacterShipType(GetMainCharacter());}
Increasing the "100" will decrease the chance of the final line in the above excerpt being executed.
However, this does mean that the code could take longer to execute and therefore increase loading times.
We could set it VERY high and see what happens, just as an experiment. Try 1000 and see if it drives you nuts yet.

Well, I tested 100, then compared to 200, 500 and 1000. No noticeable difference in loading time! :blink:
(Yes I did do it correctly with F11 etc.)

What I DID notice though was how incredibly frequently the Batavia models show up (testing in M&C storyline, and regardless of the above tests).
In almost every encounter besides French, Spanish and US, one or more of these showed up! I even encountered whole fleets of them. I can't believe no-one has reported this. :facepalm
They can be encountered with a 0.3 chance for Periods 2 to 5 (remember the first is Period 0), and then a 0.2/3 chance per nation, besides those mentioned above.
So as well as lowering these chances, I think some other ships need their chances boosting a little, since 0.3 isn't a huge chance alone.

In the Horatio hornblower storyline, the Constitution has crew running up and down in the air all though the rigging. Not just the rope ladders.
mybad.gif

Back