• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Need Help Updating the Russian Translation

Looking at the code, I can see that Lizarraga is not the only missing person. Where is Chico Cois? The same piece of quest code which puts Pelagius Lizarraga into the dungeon should also make Chico Cois your officer.

There is a time limit on this mission. If you take too long to get to Speightstown and back, the story ends and you have a new questbook entry, "Failure". Do you have this questbook entry?

Otherwise, can you show a screenshot of your questbook "The Apprenticeship"?

I realized what was the matter, because of the crash of the game in the residence, the quest simply did not continue for me, although I persisted after the conversation. This failure stably occurs either when you hand over a task, or when you leave the residence...

Attachments

• 1686238713982.png
    1686238713982.png
    634.5 KB · Views: 52
When you returned from Cayman, you returned to the residence. What happened when you talked to Vice Admiral Benavides?

The game sometimes crashes for me when I try to leave the residence. It's never crashed while I'm in the residence talking to the vice admiral. So I'll talk to the vice admiral, walk as far as the door, then save game immediately before leaving. If the game crashes while I try to leave, I can just reload and try to leave again.

If the game crashes for you when you talk to the vice admiral to complete a task, can you post "compile.log", "system.log", and "error.log" if it is there?

When you returned from Cayman, you returned to the residence. What happened when you talked to Vice Admiral Benavides?

The game sometimes crashes for me when I try to leave the residence. It's never crashed while I'm in the residence talking to the vice admiral. So I'll talk to the vice admiral, walk as far as the door, then save game immediately before leaving. If the game crashes while I try to leave, I can just reload and try to leave again.

If the game crashes for you when you talk to the vice admiral to complete a task, can you post "compile.log", "system.log", and "error.log" if it is there?
With several attempts, she flew out when talking with the governor. But mostly it crashes after leaving the residence.

Attachments

• error.log
    90 bytes · Views: 35
  • compile.log
    6.3 KB · Views: 39
  • system.log
    3 KB · Views: 36
According to "compile.log", quest case "spyoxbay" has now run. That is where Chico Cois should be assigned to you as an officer and Pelagius Lizarraga should be placed in the dungeon. Is Chico Cois now your officer?

According to "compile.log", quest case "spyoxbay" has now run. That is where Chico Cois should be assigned to you as an officer and Pelagius Lizarraga should be placed in the dungeon. Is Chico Cois now your officer?
Yes, I found it and continued, the only problem is that the game crashes sometimes in the residence and leaving it

In interface.c, I added a few lines so that the video closes only on the "Esc" button. (1525 line)

bool bBreakVideoDisable = false;
void IVideoBreak()
{
string ControlName = GetEventData();
// NK enable break all videos
if (ControlName=="ICancel")
{
DelEventHandler("Control Activation","IVideoBreak");
Event("ievntEndVideo");
}
// NK <--
}

Attachments

• interface.c
    62.6 KB · Views: 35
Adjusted the files for the patch, added several files to PROGRAM\DIALOGS, translated new dialogues for Devlins (original version, not tested in the game) to PROGRAM\Storyline , as well as several other files. Also added common.ini, shipslog_strings. In RESOURCE\INI\TEXTS\RUSSIAN\Storyline -
Translated questbooks for new storylines for Jack with the Dead Man's Chest and for the Devlins.

1) There was a problem, the code writes the name and surname of the character together and the word sir is not translated either.
2) The phrase from the 4th line is repeated 2 times, for the first time we answer it with a phrase from the 5th line, after that there is the same dialogue as in the picture. You can check this by starting the Hornblower plot and approaching Major Dunnitt.
3) For some reason, the volume of the audio files of the characters depends on the volume of the effects, and not on the volume of the dialogues.
4)Some parts not translated.

Attachments

• 1686604372237.png
    1686604372237.png
    752.2 KB · Views: 42
  • 1686604408312.png
    1686604408312.png
    20.9 KB · Views: 39
  • 1686604790767.png
    1686604790767.png
    774.9 KB · Views: 39
  • 24246.png
    24246.png
    925.1 KB · Views: 30
  • 3453534.png
    3453534.png
    707.1 KB · Views: 45
  • 345356.png
    345356.png
    692.7 KB · Views: 39
  • 1686615329989.png
    1686615329989.png
    851.8 KB · Views: 28
Also, one of the Russian players, playing the latest version, encountered such a problem and wrote to the discord, but no one could help him:
Hello everyone, please help me Quest for Nathaniel Hawk, Meet Daniel in San Juan' my sailors met me and said that the ship is intact, we drank in the tavern, and how to pick up your ship it is in the port, but I don’t understand how to pick it up. Goes to sea on an ordinary ship, the old one stands in the port.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    3.6 MB · Views: 24
  • 12414e.png
    12414e.png
    3.8 MB · Views: 35
1) There was a problem, the code writes the name and surname of the character together and the word sir is not translated either.
2) The phrase from the 4th line is repeated 2 times, for the first time we answer it with a phrase from the 5th line, after that there is the same dialogue as in the picture. You can check this by starting the Hornblower plot and approaching Major Dunnitt.
3) For some reason, the volume of the audio files of the characters depends on the volume of the effects, and not on the volume of the dialogues.
4)Some parts not translated.
1: Try the attached version of "PROGRAM\Storyline\Hornblower\dialogs\Major Dunnitt_Dialog.c". The joined names of the player character, and the hard-coded "sir", were caused by this line in case "Continue Chatter Mishipman":
Code:
link.l1 = DLG_TEXT[1] + GetMyName(PChar) + Pchar.lastname + " sir.";
The new version is:
Code:
link.l1 = DLG_TEXT[1] + GetMySimpleName(PChar) + ", " + GetAddressForm(ADDR_POLITE, ENGLAND, false) + ".";
Function 'GetMySimpleName' should produce the character's first and last names, properly spaced; and 'GetAddressForm' should produce the translated version of "sir".
2: Case "Continue Chatter Mishipman2" uses lines 4 and 5, then links to case "Walk_away", which has no "dialog.text" or "link.l1" lines, so the dialog gets confused, repeats the last known "dialog.text" (line 4) and has no "link.l1" for an answer. "Walk_away" is meant to put Major Dunnitt back to "civilian" mode so that he can walk away from you. The attached version moves the commands from "Walk_away" into "Continue Chatter Mishipman2".
3: That is intentional, to make sure you can hear them.
4: Try the attached version of "RESOURCE\INI\TEXTS\RUSSIAN\interface_strings.txt". Line 1182 had the incorrect key "Mystery_House", now changed to "Mystery House" to match the label. New line 979 needs to be translated for "House of Luc Merin". But I still have no idea why targets for "Sail To" fail to translate - "Fort Amsterdam" and "Leviathan Rock" are both in "interface_strings.txt".

Attachments

• Major Dunnitt_Dialog.c
    4 KB · Views: 31
  • interface_strings.txt
    133.4 KB · Views: 28
Also, one of the Russian players, playing the latest version, encountered such a problem and wrote to the discord, but no one could help him:
Hello everyone, please help me Quest for Nathaniel Hawk, Meet Daniel in San Juan' my sailors met me and said that the ship is intact, we drank in the tavern, and how to pick up your ship it is in the port, but I don’t understand how to pick it up. Goes to sea on an ordinary ship, the old one stands in the port.
I've never seen that problem. But what worries me is that this account is missing a step. Your sailors meet you and say the ship is intact. You drink in the tavern.

Then Danielle is supposed to appear and talk to you. You teleport to the tavern room upstairs and talk with Danielle some more. This is where you are supposed to get your original ship back. And then you teleport to the port.

I don't know how this player managed to miss the critical part, which is talking with Danielle in the tavern room upstairs. But that's why he doesn't have his original ship back.

The Russian streamer had 3 bugs during the broadcast.
1) William Chumley doesn't speak to Hornblower for a long time, but eventually spoke 57:02
2) The character dies several times and several death cutscenes appear (3 times in total) 1:46:09
3) And the last one is the funniest. The incident happened when Hornblower went ashore,to bury people after the capture of the ship by the Spaniards. The streamer wanted to check if it was possible to go to other locations and that's what happened. 2:13:25

Last edited:
For some reason that video is blocked, at least for me.

I do not remember a problem with William Chumley.

There are indeed several ways for Hornblower to die. In particular, during the episode "Attack on Antigua", when you walk out of Antigua port, you need to be careful to stay to the side when you go to Matthews. Later, you go into the jungle with Sharpe and Quelp, find two dead riflemen, and talk to Sharpe. Quelp walks off towards the beach, then Sharpe talks to you again. At this point you have a choice of four things to say to Sharpe:
1: "Just a minute Lieutenant.... I think our Mr. Quelp is in too much of a hurry to get us to go to the beach"
2: "Sharpe! You have been suspicious of Lieutenant Quelp ever since the Larr business. I think it is sour grapes because he saw a knife that Larr had that you missed."
3: "What do you mean Sharpe?"
4: "What on earth are you on about Sharpe?"

Only the third choice allows you to continue the story. The others end with you either being killed or in prison.

In "Mutiny", when you and Sharpe are about to attack the fort, there are two paths up to the bridge. If you choose the wrong one, the attack fails and you die. If you choose the right one, the attack succeeds and you destroy the fort; if you then try to cross the bridge again, you die.

For some reason that video is blocked, at least for me.

I do not remember a problem with William Chumley.

There are indeed several ways for Hornblower to die. In particular, during the episode "Attack on Antigua", when you walk out of Antigua port, you need to be careful to stay to the side when you go to Matthews. Later, you go into the jungle with Sharpe and Quelp, find two dead riflemen, and talk to Sharpe. Quelp walks off towards the beach, then Sharpe talks to you again. At this point you have a choice of four things to say to Sharpe:
1: "Just a minute Lieutenant.... I think our Mr. Quelp is in too much of a hurry to get us to go to the beach"
2: "Sharpe! You have been suspicious of Lieutenant Quelp ever since the Larr business. I think it is sour grapes because he saw a knife that Larr had that you missed."
3: "What do you mean Sharpe?"
4: "What on earth are you on about Sharpe?"

Only the third choice allows you to continue the story. The others end with you either being killed or in prison.

In "Mutiny", when you and Sharpe are about to attack the fort, there are two paths up to the bridge. If you choose the wrong one, the attack fails and you die. If you choose the right one, the attack succeeds and you destroy the fort; if you then try to cross the bridge again, you die.
Try again to go to the video, in theory access has been opened

This is probably because of the yellow icon on the video, because fragments from the movie were played, and YouTube does not like this. As soon as it disappears, I will write ...

The Russian streamer had 3 bugs during the broadcast.
1) William Chumley doesn't speak to Hornblower for a long time, but eventually spoke 57:02
2) The character dies several times and several death cutscenes appear (3 times in total) 1:46:09
3) And the last one is the funniest. The incident happened when Hornblower went ashore,to bury people after the capture of the ship by the Spaniards. The streamer wanted to check if it was possible to go to other locations and that's what happened. 2:13:25
Must earn video

I can see the video now. So:
1: William Chumley follows Hornblower because he's set to be your officer. He does not speak until all his soldiers have moved to their positions. This player does not see that because he is looking out to sea instead of watching what the soldiers are doing. It has to be this way because the dialog with William Chumley triggers the arrival of the French soldiers. Indeed, your answer to William Chumley is that you hear their drums.

The player is not very good at fighting! One of the French soldiers attacks Hornblower and this player gets hit hard and runs away. Not surprisingly, the other British characters don't want to help the cowardly weakling! The player reloads, looks through his inventory, then tries again. He does not have any good swords but still manages to defeat the French soldier easily this time. (Useful hint: in any storyline, the first time you are in Kingston - or Port Royale in most other storylines - go into the dungeon. You can practice fighting against relatively easy enemies and a good sword is hidden in there.)

2: That is what happens at 1:43:43. The player goes up the wrong path, the attack fails, everyone dies. After that, the basic game mechanism tries to resurrect him to the nearest tavern, but the storyline remembers that he's dead, so he dies. Resurrection wouldn't work anyway, you can't walk from the tavern back to this battle, so the story would break. Trying to run away at 1:47 won't help - he went up the wrong path, the Spanish have seen him, and their cannons can still hit him.

3: I can't work out exactly what happened there. He seems to have somehow gone back to shore when he should not have, though even that should not break the shore model the way it did here.

Also:
Loading tips are in English. Now have a look at this:
WIP - Spanish translation
It may be possible to translate them. @Homo eructus has already translated them into Spanish; we're still testing it to make sure it doesn't break the game. You can't just write text, though. Tip files are texture files.

At 53:51, the ship's name "Magicienne" is in Western alphabet. That's easily fixed. Attached are "quests_reaction.c" with ship names made translatable, and "storyline_strings.txt" with ship names waiting to be translated. A couple of ship names are not included because they're already in "RESOURCE\INI\TEXTS\RUSSIAN\Storyline\storyline_strings.txt", where ships assigned to FreePlay characters are translated. Teresa Moreno is a FreePlay character as well as a story character in "Hornblower" and she gets Le Rève. Jean-Baptiste du Casse is nothing to do with "Hornblower" but gets a ship called "Magicienne". The only reason that name is not translated in "Hornblower" is that the line which gives the ship to Hornblower does not have a "TranslateString" command. It does now!

Attachments

• quests_reaction.c
    850.5 KB · Views: 41
  • storyline_strings.txt
    1.2 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
The player is not very good at fighting! One of the French soldiers attacks Hornblower and this player gets hit hard and runs away. Not surprisingly, the other British characters don't want to help the cowardly weakling! The player reloads, looks through his inventory, then tries again. He does not have any good swords but still manages to defeat the French soldier easily this time. (Useful hint: in any storyline, the first time you are in Kingston - or Port Royale in most other storylines - go into the dungeon. You can practice fighting against relatively easy enemies and a good sword is hidden in there.)
Here, initially, for some reason, he did not have a saber and he fought with his fists, so he ran away))
2: That is what happens at 1:43:43. The player goes up the wrong path, the attack fails, everyone dies. After that, the basic game mechanism tries to resurrect him to the nearest tavern, but the storyline remembers that he's dead, so he dies. Resurrection wouldn't work anyway, you can't walk from the tavern back to this battle, so the story would break. Trying to run away at 1:47 won't help - he went up the wrong path, the Spanish have seen him, and their cannons can still hit him.
Yes, I later told him that he needed to go along a distant path.
3: I can't work out exactly what happened there. He seems to have somehow gone back to shore when he should not have, though even that should not break the shore model the way it did here.
He returned to the shore, and then went back and got on the boat, but the location loaded the shore and broke

At 53:51, the ship's name "Magicienne" is in Western alphabet. That's easily fixed. Attached are "quests_reaction.c" with ship names made translatable, and "storyline_strings.txt" with ship names waiting to be translated. A couple of ship names are not included because they're already in "RESOURCE\INI\TEXTS\RUSSIAN\Storyline\storyline_strings.txt", where ships assigned to FreePlay characters are translated. Teresa Moreno is a FreePlay character as well as a story character in "Hornblower" and she gets Le Rève. Jean-Baptiste du Casse is nothing to do with "Hornblower" but gets a ship called "Magicienne". The only reason that name is not translated in "Hornblower" is that the line which gives the ship to Hornblower does not have a "TranslateString" command. It does now!
I also remember that the name of the French ship that was to be sunk was not translated - a volcano like

Back