• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Released USS Constitution upgrade

Sorry, I've been distracted with other things recently. :oops: I still need to sort out the locator files for the masts and yards to test in-game, before making any changes to the rigging.

That sounds like what Craiggo and I have been doing. Have you considered delegating?

Well I didn't want to give you guys more work than you already have, especially with the Centurion and Captain Armstrong's ships.
However, if you're offering, I could pass the ship over to you or Craiggo once I've got her working in-game, for you to modify the rigging as suggested.
In any case, I've got some time today to spend preparing the ship. :dance

Finally some progress! The ship now works in-game without any problems. :dance
The locators, however, still need some major refinement. I did a straight conversion by rescaling the existing ones and made some critical changes (mast/yard positions etc), but some ropes need to be repositioned or removed. Then come the modifications discussed earlier, for changing stays'ls and renaming the top yards to furl for Battle Sails. The flags should also be changed to meet our more accurate system in Beta 2.2.

Also note that the crew walk file is now redundant and needs to be updated due to the ship's size increase.

Anyway, I'd like to pass the files on to whoever is willing to tidy up the locators. You can download them here: Constitution_upgrade_2012_WIP.7z (includes a modified dcUS.tga)
This is in the hope that I can get on with porting the Trinity 2nd Rate and work on the Rossiya afterwards.

Good to see you've managed to clean up the loose ends. :onya
One question though, are there still excess ropes on the jib in place of the new modelled ropes? I can't quite tell from your screenie.

For the stays'ls, see Post Captain's recommendations here.

Excess ropes? Dunno. I've been working on the square sails and spanker. It sounds like I should move to the jib next.

Yeah, they're ropes whose role has been taken by the modelled ropes (mast1_ropes.gm), so they are no longer needed.

Well if they are taken out when the mast goes down it might be better to adjust their locators to fit the modeled ones and remove the modeled ones.

LOL! It would look strange having just those heavy ropes hanging way out there. Ships losing their jibs is quite common too.

EDIT: Still waking up but it is obvious that the modeled ropes have to go and regular ropes put in their place.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/76702168/POTC screenies/Connie-3.jpg

PS: The modeled ropes are attached to mast1 so they will go down with the jib. The only issue is that they do not fit the mast.

That's definitely an improvement. There shouldn't be any lines run to the boomkin. (see parts of a ship.) Those that are should end somewhere on the hull.

EDIT: Still waking up but it is obvious that the modeled ropes have to go and regular ropes put in their place.
Eh? Last time I checked, those ropes fit the mast perfectly. :rumgone Never mind, it does look better without them anyway.
The only reason they were a separate model was that mast1 couldn't be read in TOOL with them combined in one model.
Funny thing is, the opposite applies to all other masts, which couldn't be read by themselves. o_O

P.S. It would be nice to change the flags to have just one pennant on the mainmast and one ensign on the spanker, same as many other frigates, IMO.

Boomkins? Are those the antennae? I could not find a reference to them in your thread, but do vaguely remember something about them from the HMS_Victory thread.

Sheesh. Everyone is complaining about the flags when there is so much more important things to do. Ugh. me fixemup.

Boomkins? Are those the antennae? I could not find a reference to them in your thread, but do vaguely remember something about them from the HMS_Victory thread.

Sheesh. Everyone is complaining about the flags when there is so much more important things to do. Ugh. me fixemup.

Oops. They are the antennae. I'll have to fix that later. Their purpose it to provide a fair lead for the fores'l tack, and they aren't strong enough to support standing rigging. They are even retractable on some vessels for the purpose of creating more room when docking.

Are they really called antenae? I just called them that because they look like bugs antennas. I have seen a picture where one line goes to it, but I don't know where it goes from there.
Flags fixed. Should the Connie get a ribbon there? http://dl.dropbox.com/u/76702168/POTC screenies/Connie-5.jpg I can not get those jibs to shape up properly. They always have that big arc on the bottom.

EDIT: Been doing some searching and found some pics, even some from our MODB.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/76702168/POTC screenies/Ship-USS-Constitution.jpg

Attachments

• constitution-2.jpg
    constitution-2.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 139
  • USS_Constitution_1997.jpg
    USS_Constitution_1997.jpg
    303.9 KB · Views: 157
Back