• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Released USS Constitution upgrade

That puts an end to that one then; so much for wishful thinking... :(

"Gents, our hope is restored!"
Baste has kindly opened the files and extracted the locators, being one of the few that can open corrupted files in TOOL, so now I can continue with the locator work! :bow

Thanks! yes it is, except for most of the stays which I believe will be done with locators. they needed to be modeled first for reference though.

Why does the coolest stuff always happen when I'm gone? :cheeky
I think I might even show this one to some of the guys on Pilgrim who might be interested. It looks just like what little I remember of the Constitution when last I visited at ten years of age.

Ah, that reminds me, what changes did you have in mind for the sailplan? I'll have the ship in-game soon so I can start modifying the rigging to be a bit less cluttered.

I'm glad you like it so much!:) there is something cool about working on the constitution, not just because it was so famous and powerful, but also as you said having been aboard the real ship! that should really add something to the experience of sailing her ingame.
Changes to the rig I can think of are:
  • renaming the royal yards so the royal sails are taken in for battle sails.
  • reducing the number of staysails (post captain can probably elaborate on this)
  • also keep in mind that the president has a different angle to her bowsprit, I forget the difference but I posted it earlier in the thread.

I got about two hours of sleep last night due to a red-eye from Kaua'i. (Departed 9:45 pm HAST, arrived 5:50 am PST. Wonderful.) I think I'll have to elaborate on the fore-and-aft sails tomorrow, but I do have one or two configurations in mind.

Alright. Now that I can think properly, I might as well go ahead.
First, this will be useful for determining the cut of several sails.
386_USS_Constitution.jpg

I would recommend:
Fore topmast stays'l, Inner Jib, Outer Jib, Fore topmast stays'l, Mizzen topmast stays'l, possibly main t'gallant stays'l. If it looks a little bare after that, we might want to add more, but the sails I included would have been the only ones commonly set.
Try not to work off of models, most are not accurate at all.There are several sail plans online.

I am aware of the difference, but I think that the 1803 sails are still shaped well.

ok, its just more likely that the 1817 plan has more similar stays considering that the 1803 rig is substatially shorter (i know this because I have the book that that plan was made for) and the yards are placed differently and are different lengths than the current constituion, as are the various topmasts and t'gallantmasts.

I guess either would do, since they're fairly similar. I was also considering the slightly more cluttered appearance of the 1817 plans. They are a bit harder to decipher, I think.

yeah, i think that niether of them exactly match the cirrent constitution, just that the 1817 one is probably closer. you are right about the 1803 one being easier to decipher, I ahdn't thought of that. As long as there are no more alterations to the modeled part of the rig, I'll be happy!:p

Back