• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Released 20 gun privateer schooner

What is a .mb file? The only model file I know how to work with is a .gm file.
dunno.gif

Can you convert them to a .gm file because my version of windows wont allow me to add textures in Maya?

It's a Maya Binary file. I think Capt Armstrong was hoping you knew how to export the ship to GM format yourself... :?

Which version of Windows do you have? Maya 5 works in Vista, I can say from experience, so it should work in Win7 (and definitely XP) too.

My bad craiggo, :facepalm I thought you knew how to export from maya. I don't know how to myself, but im sure I can find a tutorial somewhere. I have a really busy schedule right now, so it might take a few days for me to get them to you in .gm format :keith

If you want, I can export the model for you pretty quickly. I just need the model and textures, and the rest is straightforward.
While I'm at it, I can also make some UV guidelines which will help Craiggo with the texturing, if he wants them.
The only downside is that Craiggo will have to add the locators from scratch (or probably copy-and-paste from a similar ship, and adjust them to fit).

I'm aiming to get a full tutorial done sometime soon, because we need more people with proper knowledge of exporting with Maya. :dance
Current tutorials only tell you about different stages, and not all the stages in one go.
Plus, none of them really explain why you're doing each step, so hopefully I can give people an insight into that, rather than blind step-by-step instructions.

@ Armada Yes, thank you Armada. I do need to figure out how to export becasue, as you know, I have attempted in Win 7 and i am ether missing a step or doing something wrong. So yes I would love your help and will do the locators and all that jazz.
icon_wink.gif

@ Cpt. Armstrong No worries mate. We'll turn to and with Armada baring a hand we'll have her close hulled on the larboard tack faster then a rain squall in the east.
keith.gif

Thanks Guys! good to know she is in good hands :onya
@Armada, the .mb files are on my ftp under ship models->Prince de neufchatel->pdn scaled

Capt. Armstrong, I've had a look at your model, and there's a couple of things I'd like to mention before going any further.
The screenie below shows four views of the hull:

PDN_1.jpg

The top left and bottom right show how the stern is slightly uneven, similar to the bottom left image of the bow.
So what happened there? Did you make both halves individually, rather than one half reflected to make the other?
These parts should really be aligned properly before exporting, otherwise the model could have lighting issues in-game (especially noticeable in CoAS).

The top right section shows the capstan you made. This is something you could look into optimising for a reduced tri count.
The cylindrical parts seem to be made up of five times more triangles than necessary, as they have five 'rows' (technically 'subdivisions') making up the sides.
These cylinders can be made with just one large row, and achieve the same appearance.
You should be able to control the number of subdivisions when creating a basic cylinder (or any shape, for that matter), but it's up to you to figure out how in Gmax.
It can be easily redone in Maya if you prefer not to have to export from Gmax again.

One other thing I noticed was that the whole model is facing the wrong direction. It should be pointing in the positive Z direction, unless you want to sail backwards of course. :cheeky

For your first model, I wouldn't expect you to be aware of the above points, so don't worry about it too much. ;)
What I'm really doing is giving you tips on how to more efficiently make models in future.
I might even recommend using Maya 5, because not only is it fairly easy to find modelling tutorials for, but also you don't have to bother with the hassle of exporting from Gmax.

Anyway, there's a few other things that I need to do before I can start to export it all.
  1. Each model (the hull in particular) needs splitting up into components (i.e. hull, cannons, deck/masts etc), so that they can be textured separately.
  2. The masts need to have the yards removed and made into separate model files.
  3. Each model then needs to be UV mapped. This unusual, since UVs are normally automatically generated as you make the model, but I'm assuming they were lost when exporting from Gmax.
  4. Each model must have materials assigned, which are what relate to textures.
  5. A path model needs to be made to allow first person walking on deck at sea.
After that, I can finally start the process of exporting to GM format. It seems a lot, but it shouldn't take too long, hopefully.

Capt. Armstrong, I've had a look at your model, and there's a couple of things I'd like to mention before going any further.
The screenie below shows four views of the hull:

[attachment=7311:pDN_1.jpg]

The top left and bottom right show how the stern is slightly uneven, similar to the bottom left image of the bow.
So what happened there? Did you make both halves individually, rather than one half reflected to make the other?
These parts should really be aligned properly before exporting, otherwise the model could have lighting issues in-game (especially noticeable in CoAS).
yea, this is a beginner mistake, I didn't know about the ability to mirror parts yet, so I made both sides of the hull through copying, rotating and modifying various parts. It took way longer than it needed to :modding I will pick one side and try to fix it in maya
The top right section shows the capstan you made. This is something you could look into optimising for a reduced tri count.
The cylindrical parts seem to be made up of five times more triangles than necessary, as they have five 'rows' (technically 'subdivisions') making up the sides.
These cylinders can be made with just one large row, and achieve the same appearance.
You should be able to control the number of subdivisions when creating a basic cylinder (or any shape, for that matter), but it's up to you to figure out how in Gmax.
It can be easily redone in Maya if you prefer not to have to export from Gmax again.
ughh, I noticed this when I made the Revolutionnaire, so I fixed it for her and in my capstan file. It was really easy in gmax, I just forgot to go back and do it for the Prince. I'll see what I can do with it in maya

One other thing I noticed was that the whole model is facing the wrong direction. It should be pointing in the positive Z direction, unless you want to sail backwards of course. :cheeky

For your first model, I wouldn't expect you to be aware of the above points, so don't worry about it too much. ;)
What I'm really doing is giving you tips on how to more efficiently make models in future.
I might even recommend using Maya 5, because not only is it fairly easy to find modelling tutorials for, but also you don't have to bother with the hassle of exporting from Gmax.
Haha whoops, xD: yea I can fix that. I have considered switching to maya or something else just because exporting from gmax is such a royal pain, but I think ill stick with it for now cause Im starting to get alot faster at modelling in it. :cheeky

Anyway, there's a few other things that I need to do before I can start to export it all.
  1. Each model (the hull in particular) needs splitting up into components (i.e. hull, cannons, deck/masts etc), so that they can be textured separately.
  2. The masts need to have the yards removed and made into separate model files.
  3. Each model then needs to be UV mapped. This unusual, since UVs are normally automatically generated as you make the model, but I'm assuming they were lost when exporting from Gmax.
  4. Each model must have materials assigned, which are what relate to textures.
  5. A path model needs to be made to allow first person walking on deck at sea.
After that, I can finally start the process of exporting to GM format. It seems a lot, but it shouldn't take too long, hopefully.
That sounds like alot of work, thank you Armada! :doff The masts should already have separate files from the hull, and placed correctly too. I uploaded a file for the bowsprit, foremast, and mainmast. They still have yards, but I could easily split them into yard and mast files when I upload the rotated masts with the fixed hull :onya

alright, so I managed to clean up the capstan in maya http://www.flickr.com/photos/64339105@N08/6251030967/in/photostream and the model is now facing the correct direction. Unfortunately, I have had less luck with making one half of the hull that I can mirror, :modding because not everything in the model splits along the centerline.

That schooner has some nice lines. Very fast looking. This'll definitely be one of my favorites.
Based on what I saw of your other work may I suggest something similar to the Pride of Baltimore II? (if you're taking suggestions, that is)
The Sprightly looks similar, but it's hard to tell what size she is...

and just to sell the idea, since nobody can possibly resist this:
PoB II going 15 knots

Thanks for the compliments Post Captain! The sprightly is much smaller than the Prince,(70 ft on deck compared to 110 ft) and would probably mount 10-12 light carronades maximum if I cut gunports into her. The sprightly is on hold for now though because there are ships( like frigates, ship-sloops, and maybe a brig) that I think need making more than another schooner. The Pride of Baltimore II is a very nice ship, and It is impressive that she can go 15 knots! :shock that kind of speed was very rare, even among the baltimore privateers of the war of 1812. unfortunately for the same reason I haven't finished the sprightly I dont think she will be next, maybe further along though! ;) I would need her plans first! :yes

Thanks for the compliments Post Captain! The sprightly is much smaller than the Prince,(70 ft on deck compared to 110 ft) and would probably mount 10-12 light carronades maximum if I cut gunports into her. The sprightly is on hold for now though because there are ships( like frigates, ship-sloops, and maybe a brig) that I think need making more than another schooner. The Pride of Baltimore II is a very nice ship, and It is impressive that she can go 15 knots! :shock that kind of speed was very rare, even among the baltimore privateers of the war of 1812. unfortunately for the same reason I haven't finished the sprightly I don't think she will be next, maybe further along though! ;) I would need her plans first! :yes

I do think that the game is a little short on nice Baltimore clippers, but oh well. I like all the vessels I've seen you making, and I have been wanting to see all of them made for awhile. And I guess the Prince does suit my purposes perfectly well.
Now plans... those are always the problem... I can never seem to find the damn things...

alright, so I managed to clean up the capstan in maya http://www.flickr.co.../in/photostream and the model is now facing the correct direction. Unfortunately, I have had less luck with making one half of the hull that I can mirror, :modding because not everything in the model splits along the centerline.
Nice work on the capstan. :onya
For parts which can't be mirrored properly, just make them as separate parts and merge them later. I'd recommend doing that with the keel, so you don't double up on triangles.

I got it! the hull is now symmetrical! :yes I have uploaded seperate files for the hull, yards, and masts with and wthout yards, with each one made up of its component objects rather than a single large one. I uploaded one that has everything included again, in case you need it for some reason. One thing to be aware of is that the bowsprit has a supporting yard across it, but this should not have a sail on it, which is why i did not put it in a seperate file. Again, go to ship models->Prince de neufchatel->pdn scaled for the files. :doff

I've just realised a problem with the parts you sent me.
When you split the hull (for example) into component objects, did you mean for it to consist of lots of small parts?
That poses a problem, because there's too many parts to work with. What I really need is groups like this, with each as just one mesh:
  • Outer hull
  • Inner hull
  • Deck (incl. details like mast stumps, belfry, capstan etc)
  • All broadside guns
  • Bow/stern chasers
I'll try to sort it out in Maya, but it may take a while, just so you're aware.

I will send you an updated file soon :onya I have already connected the pieces of the outer hull and the peices of the inner hull (the 2 are still seperate though) What do you want me to do with things like anchors, catheads, gunport lids, pinrails, and the headrails? Also will you need something similar done for the masts?

*EDIT*

Ok, check out the Prince de Neufchatel Fixed.mb on my FTP by the other model files, all the parts should be arranged correctly. I decided to put the anchors, catheads, gunport lids, and headrails with the outer hull, and the pinrails with the inner hull. If there is anything not in the right place, it is fairly simple to fix. Just click a part you want to assign to a different peice, click the 'seperate' button on the toolbar, and then press combine for the rest of the selected peice. select the detached part and the main peice you want to attach it to, and click combine again. I doubt you needed the explanation, but I wanted to be sure you knew how. Hopefully this version works :dance

I will send you an updated file soon :onya I have already connected the pieces of the outer hull and the peices of the inner hull (the 2 are still seperate though) What do you want me to do with things like anchors, catheads, gunport lids, pinrails, and the headrails? Also will you need something similar done for the masts?

*EDIT*

Ok, check out the Prince de Neufchatel Fixed.mb on my FTP by the other model files, all the parts should be arranged correctly. I decided to put the anchors, catheads, gunport lids, and headrails with the outer hull, and the pinrails with the inner hull. If there is anything not in the right place, it is fairly simple to fix. Just click a part you want to assign to a different peice, click the 'seperate' button on the toolbar, and then press combine for the rest of the selected peice. select the detached part and the main peice you want to attach it to, and click combine again. I doubt you needed the explanation, but I wanted to be sure you knew how. Hopefully this version works :dance

Hi,

You probably know, new folks wont, but don't forget .....when you combine the parts again to turn off "double sided" in attributes\Render stats, (Maya 5) . onya2

damski.

OK, I'll see what I can do. :doff

You probably know, new folks wont, but don't forget .....when you combine the parts again to turn off "double sided" in attributes\Render stats, (Maya 5) . onya2
Yes, I've noticed that with some of my own experiments. I'm very conscious about render stats and normals, don't worry. :onya

Any news Armada? As long as she gets into Craiggo's hands pretty soon and the carronade thing sorted out its fine, I just wanted to make sure you hadn't forgotten. :doff The main reason I am making such a big fuss about this is because the Revolutionnaire is waiting on the caronnade thing too, so I cant really move any further with her either, not unless i just said screw it and let the tri count reach 120000 or so when It mightve been less. I already finished a third ship (standing rigging and all) while I was waiting but I dont want to make a thread for her until I have at least one of my other ships in POTC so I can focus a reasonable amount of time into getting her ingame as well. :yes Sorry if I'm pestering you too much about this! :urgh

I haven't forgotten, don't worry mate. I've just been busy as hell with helping to sort out and test Patch 7 lately, I haven't had much time for any other projects.
I'll be damned if I can find time to fit this in soon, but I hate to keep you waiting. I honestly don't know how I'm going to manage this. :facepalm

Back