• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Released 20 gun privateer schooner

Hmm fair enough, is it all that complicated to learn how to do the work required to get her ready for craiggo? I wouldn't mind giving it a shot, but I would need to find a good tutorial or at least have a basic explanation of what to do. It would be good to know for my other ships too :keith I have windows 7 and i think I remember hearing that can make a esporting to .gm impossible, should it be a problem?

Well I can try to talk you through it if that helps. It's not actually that complicated, and I learned almost entirely from my own experiments.
I'm yet to make a full tutorial, and really must do that some time.
I'm hugely keen to give others the ability to export ships correctly in Maya, because that would help lighten the load any one person would have at a time.

Win7 shouldn't be a problem; I have Vista, and Maya 5.0 seems to work properly.

I think it would be best if you start by gathering together your model components in Maya, and let me know how far you can get with preparing for exporting.
In other words, you tell me what you know, and I'll fill in the gaps. Does that sound like a good idea? :shrug

Yeah sure, so I pretty much know what you have told me in the past, but I can go into detail;

“Each model needs splitting up into components like the outer hull, inner hull, deck, broadside guns, and chase guns”-done, but my file doesn’t want to open, so I may have to redo this part, not difficult though.

“The masts need to have the yards removed and made into separate model files.”-done, but again, the files might not work, but even if they don’t, this part was very easy

“Each model then needs to be UV mapped. This unusual, since UVs are normally automatically generated as you make the model, but I'm assuming they were lost when exporting from Gmax.” -no clue how to do this part.

“Each model must have materials assigned, which are what relate to textures.”- I know how to do this in Gmax, but not Maya.

“A path model needs to be made to allow first person walking on deck at sea.”- Again, I have no idea. Is a seperate program need for this?

Another thing I don’t know about is locators, which I assume are to tell the game where to put all the components, fire cannons etc, but beyond that I haven’t a clue. :shrug

So for combining the model components, I assume you exported them as separate OBJ files and opened one in Maya to import the rest into?
You need to save as a .mb file, because OBJ files can't be saved in Maya.

For the masts and yards, remember that every mast and yard must be a separate model file.
The only exception is for yards which don't have a sail attached below (e.g. a lower mizzen sail).
In this case, combine the lower yard with the one above it as one whole model file.

The UV mapping might turn out to be a pain, because I've always seen them automatically generated when I've added parts to ships in Maya.
I'll have to talk you through this when we get to that point, but for now it's getting the model files and normals sorted first.

Assigning materials is pretty easy, you'll be glad to know. Open your model, and then go to "Window > Rendering Editors > Hypershade".
There you'll see some standard materials/shaders which are auto-generated. Don't modify those, because things might go wrong eventually.
Instead, click "Create > Materials > Blinn". I always encourage people to use the Blinn material, because that tends to give the best results.
A new sphere named 'blinn1' should appear. Select it, and some information should appear in the Attribute Editor on the right hand side of the main window.
In that pane, under "Common Material Attributes", select the small chequered box next to the 'Colour' slider.
Another window should appear. Click the picture named "File", and the sphere 'blinn1' should now turn black. You'll also see a different pane in the Attribute Editor.
In that pane, under "File Attributes", click the folder icon next to "Image Name", and browse to a TGA file you want to use for this material.
This can be a blank image up to 2048x2048 pixels in size, depending on what the texture will end up being once Craiggo makes it.
2048x2048 gives the best quality, but also causes parts of your model to 'disappear' in Maya. That's normal, and doesn't physically affect your model in any way.
Finally, in the main window, select the component you want to assign this material to.
Then, in the Hypershade window, hold the right mouse button over the material, and select "Assign material to selection". That's all there is to it. :)

Anyway, the path model is nothing complicated, and can be done in Maya too.
It is a simplified copy of the ship's deck, but with gaps where you don't want the player to be able to walk.
These are just gaps in the mesh, and you normally need them in place of the cannons, masts and other obstacles on deck.
Once finished, the normals are usually reversed so the path is not visible in-game.

When it comes to locators, that's where I'm slightly confused in Maya. I can't get a model to export to GM with locators. :modding
That's where Craiggo comes in, and uses TOOL to add them, so you can ignore them for now.
The only locator you'll need is the waterline one at (0,0,0), which is required for the export to work. More on that when you get there.

Sorry this is so text-heavy at the moment. I'm short on upload quota for images and need to sort that out some time.
I will eventually release a full tutorial complete with screenshots, which should be much easier to understand. ;)

So for combining the model components, I assume you exported them as separate OBJ files and opened one in Maya to import the rest into?
You need to save as a .mb file, because OBJ files can't be saved in Maya.
Oh well I knew that, otherwise I could never have sent you or craiggo .mb files! ;) No the problem is that every time I try to open the latest .mb file for the Prince like I sent you maya will stop responding. :modding Other files, including the next latest one with the symetrical hull and all, still work, so I will have to re-organize the peices again. but thats not a big deal, i did it in less than an hour last time

For the masts and yards, remember that every mast and yard must be a separate model file.
The only exception is for yards which don't have a sail attached below (e.g. a lower mizzen sail).
In this case, combine the lower yard with the one above it as one whole model file.
Good to know that detail, :onya I had all the yards for each mast in seperate files, so there were only 2 files

The UV mapping might turn out to be a pain, because I've always seen them automatically generated when I've added parts to ships in Maya.
I'll have to talk you through this when we get to that point, but for now it's getting the model files and normals sorted first.
ok, ughh I hope its not too tedious :urgh

Assigning materials is pretty easy, you'll be glad to know. Open your model, and then go to "Window > Rendering Editors > Hypershade".
There you'll see some standard materials/shaders which are auto-generated. Don't modify those, because things might go wrong eventually.
Instead, click "Create > Materials > Blinn". I always encourage people to use the Blinn material, because that tends to give the best results.
A new sphere named 'blinn1' should appear. Select it, and some information should appear in the Attribute Editor on the right hand side of the main window.
In that pane, under "Common Material Attributes", select the small chequered box next to the 'Colour' slider.
Another window should appear. Click the picture named "File", and the sphere 'blinn1' should now turn black. You'll also see a different pane in the Attribute Editor.
In that pane, under "File Attributes", click the folder icon next to "Image Name", and browse to a TGA file you want to use for this material.
This can be a blank image up to 2048x2048 pixels in size, depending on what the texture will end up being once Craiggo makes it.
2048x2048 gives the best quality, but also causes parts of your model to 'disappear' in Maya. That's normal, and doesn't physically affect your model in any way.
Finally, in the main window, select the component you want to assign this material to.
Then, in the Hypershade window, hold the right mouse button over the material, and select "Assign material to selection". That's all there is to it. :)
I haven't tried this yet so im not 100% sure what you are talking about, but it is a super detailed explination so I should have very few problems. :onya

Anyway, the path model is nothing complicated, and can be done in Maya too.
It is a simplified copy of the ship's deck, but with gaps where you don't want the player to be able to walk.
These are just gaps in the mesh, and you normally need them in place of the cannons, masts and other obstacles on deck.
Once finished, the normals are usually reversed so the path is not visible in-game.

When it comes to locators, that's where I'm slightly confused in Maya. I can't get a model to export to GM with locators. :modding
That's where Craiggo comes in, and uses TOOL to add them, so you can ignore them for now.
The only locator you'll need is the waterline one at (0,0,0), which is required for the export to work. More on that when you get there.

Sorry this is so text-heavy at the moment. I'm short on upload quota for images and need to sort that out some time.
I will eventually release a full tutorial complete with screenshots, which should be much easier to understand. ;)

ok, these are all things I will likely need explained a little more once I finish the other steps, but not yet. :yes I do understand them alot better now, thanks for the detailed explination! :doff

Captain Armstrong is added to the Modders group; welcome to the club, mate! :doff

Thanks Pieter and Hylie! Glad to be a part of it. :dance Hmm, ill have to get my two ships into POTC already so I can build some more. ;)

Ok so I seperated the yards each into their own files (except the two on the mizzen, the two for the mizzen gaff, and the bottom two on the foremast, because there are no sails below the bottom yards for these) I also fixed up the gratings which were sloppily and inneficiently built, and re organized the hull into inner and outer hull, deck & fittings, broadside guns, bow chasers, and stern chasers. But... there is a problem, I saved 11 versions at various stages of doing these changes so I wouldnt have to worry about the files corrupting again. But.... I have tried to open about half of them and none of them have yet! :modding I dont know why maya is doing this, I will click on the file name to open it, the little blue bar on the bottom left of the screen will show it loading at normal speed, but then it doesnt. It will say its 100% loaded but my curser will still show its waiting (swirly circle thing for windows 7, usually an hourglass or something) and this will go on, and on, and on. I once left it open for 30 minutes as I went to do something. came back and it was still the same. eventually I have to close it because its not responding. Has anyone else had this problem with maya? I want to wait to try opening my other saves untill I have some Idea of what is causing this :shrug

That doesn't sound too good. Maybe if you upload the files to the FTP, I can check them myself and see if the same problem occurs?

Another thing to note about the yards is that, because of the naming convention, the bottom two yards on the foremasts must be separated like the others.
For one thing, it's because the yards named 'rey_a#' are the ones that are furled when in the 'Battle sails' state, and that's usually* the lowest yards like these.
Also, I'm not sure about having two sails on one yard model. It could possibly cause anomalies with other sails, so best to play it safe with one yard model for each sail.

*Note: that's not to say it won't work for other yards, but it has not been tested on other yards yet.

That doesn't sound too good. Maybe if you upload the files to the FTP, I can check them myself and see if the same problem occurs?
will do :onya
Another thing to note about the yards is that, because of the naming convention, the bottom two yards on the foremasts must be separated like the others.
For one thing, it's because the yards named 'rey_a#' are the ones that are furled when in the 'Battle sails' state, and that's usually* the lowest yards like these.
Also, I'm not sure about having two sails on one yard model. It could possibly cause anomalies with other sails, so best to play it safe with one yard model for each sail.

*Note: that's not to say it won't work for other yards, but it has not been tested on other yards yet.
I think you misunderstood, when I said two for each file, I was talking about yards, not sails. you are right about the foremast yards, I somehow thought there was no sail attached to the bottom of it, but now I looked at the sailplan it looks like there should be. thanks for catching that! :doff

I think you misunderstood, when I said two for each file, I was talking about yards, not sails. you are right about the foremast yards, I somehow thought there was no sail attached to the bottom of it, but now I looked at the sailplan it looks like there should be. thanks for catching that! :doff
Ah, I see. That would make sense if you weren't planning to have two sails on the foremast yards in the first place. :yes
Now I guess you will need to split the yards up to accommodate two sails, though.

split the fore yards, and the files are on the FTP. :onya Oh and hull 11 and hull new fixed should be the same thing, but I put both up just to be sure.

While we're talking about sails, I might as well offer some expertise. This vessel was not actually a schooner (that admittedly had me confused, at first.) It was actually rigged as a hermaphrodite brig, one of those obscure sail plans only used for a few years. You should be careful to include all of the sails on the plan including the main stays'ls and gaff tops'l. You can find a few good paintings of it online. Your'e probably past the confusing stage by now, but if you want I can offer some help with the sail theory.

While we're talking about sails, I might as well offer some expertise. This vessel was not actually a schooner (that admittedly had me confused, at first.) It was actually rigged as a hermaphrodite brig, one of those obscure sail plans only used for a few years. You should be careful to include all of the sails on the plan including the main stays'ls and gaff tops'l. You can find a few good paintings of it online. Your'e probably past the confusing stage by now, but if you want I can offer some help with the sail theory.
well she looks closest to a topsail schooner with raked masts and a gaff on each mast, and thats what most would identify her as, so thats why i call her one. defenately a hemaphradite rig though, I have have followed the sailplan as closely as i can, and intend to continue with that; its alot easier than inventing a different one! I think i posted a few paintings of her i might use as references earlier in this thread. I just refer to her as a schooner cause its easier than saying "hemaphradite brig/schooner rig combination used cheifly by american privateers during the war of 1812" I'm not about to leave out any sails, I even included the lone square sail on the mainmast that is often left out on models of this ship! I may need your advice on ropes or the like later on though, you definately seem to know alot about the more intracate parts of rigging. :doff sail theory should help alot in deciding which sails to take in for battle sails, but im not quite there yet. ;)

@Armada, have you tried to open the Hull files yet? (there are two of them but they are the same thing)

Keep up the good work mates!
me.gif

@Armada, have you tried to open the Hull files yet? (there are two of them but they are the same thing)
I just tried, and Maya seems to give up once the loading bar reaches 100%. I think that's the same problem you had. :facepalm
That hasn't happened to any other Maya files I've worked on before, so I'm not sure what's going on.

:urgh well thanks for trying, ill just make the changes over again from a version that works, which is what I just did, but there doesnt seem to be another way of doing it. I just hope it doesnt do this again :modding

Maybe you could try changing one thing at a time, saving a copy of the file, and checking it still works? :shrug
That way, you might be able to work out what could be causing the problem.

Back