• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

2003 POTC build mods poll

After build mod 14 is finished (which I know will be a while), should we persue a build mod 15 for t

• Total voters

tommy61157

Unofficial Pirate Potato
Staff member
QA Tester
Provisional
Storm Modder
Just curious to see what people think about this, and I know this would still be a good ways away into the future, but may as well ask.

i'm pretty sure this was decided already. build 14 is the last, after which the modders will move on to different things.

Well, still, it wouldn't hurt to have peoples' opinions.:onya

I don't think we will be able to continue after Build 14. The game is getting quite old; sure our modpack is very good, but it is dying down.

True, but at least even if we do stop, we've made some great progress! :sail

It will have to end sometime, even if that is very sad. I agree with Pieter. The game is dying. The only chance is to port the WHOLE game with all the storylines to a newer Storm Engine e.g. 2.8, but as far as I know that would mean hard, long and maybe impossible work. So unfortunately, I think the story will end with the Build 14. But hey,if it will be finished, that would be a victory. For now on lets coninue playing and helping this community :keith .

Oh it's POSSIBLE allright; we just need people with the required coding knowledge, which we don't have. :facepalm

Either way, still a good run considering we've done this all from a 2003 game which was originally considered unplayable by some.:dance

Argh! It is frustrating. We have to find a way to find coders. How are we going to do that?! Has anyone ideas? :will

Trust me, If I knew a solution, I would've presented it by now... :?

Personally, I reckon we'd need to do some serious advertising if we want Build 15 to be more than just a dream.
The trouble is, we'd have to start an appeal asking for coders specifically. While more regular members are always welcome, we can't expect them all to learn how to code from scratch.
Plus, we need to get Build 14 pretty much perfect first. Any bugs in it have the potential to make things worse when porting to Storm 2.8.
In order to do that, we almost certainly need coders to iron out the more complex issues.

So the way I see it, we need more coders whether we're planning a Build 15 or not. :shrug

I agree with armada, though keep in mind, the 2003 POTC game is the only game I play that is featured on this site, so if we stop doing stuff for that game, I won't be checking the forums much on here anymore, I'm not a coder, just a person willing to test any file in the name of advancing the POTC build mod... I do hope that this site starts advertising though, maybe you could have ads on this site to pay for your ad on other sites, I know facebook would be a good medium to use or even twitter.

There have already been a few attempts to get our game noticed by other means. Have a look at this part of the forum.
We do seem to have a Twitter account, but from what I gather, the member running it left us last year. I don't know why, since it was before I joined. :shrug
Of course, if anyone decides to make a dedicated facebook/twitter page for PA!, it will be a big responsibility to maintain it and keep it up-to-date.

Dunno why I have not noticed this thread before...........

I don't have enough hours invested into GOF/COAS to have a valid opinion yet, but it feels very arcade like. On land GOF is great, but at sea.............. So, I am in no hurry to leave POTC. If GOF could get POTC's sailing, what else does it need?

As for getting coders, where would those critters be hanging out? How hard would it be to Shanghai some? Could college kids be talked into upgrading POTC for school credits?

Well the whole idea was just to upgrade PotC to use the engine of CoAS first, and then perhaps merge some of the best work from GOF and the Build Mod together, eventually.

When it comes to finding coders, I've no idea where to start. The trouble is, it's very rare to find someone who a) likes pirate RPGs AND has PotC, and b) has extensive coding knowledge.
If we can generate enough interest, at least we can tell potential coders where the game is still available. So the first step is just to get ourselves noticed more. :hmm

We do seem to have a Twitter account, but from what I gather, the member running it left us last year. I don't know why, since it was before I joined. :shrug

I won't go into details about why this person left, only they know for sure anyway, but if you look around some of the old forum threads you will probably get a good idea. Reading through THIS thread in the section Armada pointed to earlier pretty much sums up our previous discussions about marketing quite nicely.

I don't have enough hours invested into GOF/COAS to have a valid opinion yet, but it feels very arcade like. On land GOF is great, but at sea..............

That's funny because I had just the opposite opinion. I thought POTC's sailing was more arcade like and controls more clunky. That's what drew me to COAS in the first place. LOL xD:

MK

I agree with armada, shoot, only reason I found out about you guys was by pure chance when randomly searching pirates on google once... :wp

Reading through THIS thread [...] pretty much sums up our previous discussions about marketing quite nicely.
Thanks for pointing that one out, Thagarr! It's brought up some interesting points. :mm
Firstly, I couldn't help but notice that thread pretty much came to a standstill at around the same time that the member who started it left.
When you consider that, plus the dormant Twitter account, it's not hard to figure out why our popularity hasn't improved.
The truth of it is, we've been far too quiet over the past year or so, because we haven't pursued any other marketing techniques outside of ModDB and the odd YouTube video.
What we really need to do is pick up where that thread left off, and reach out to other media to get ourselves noticed. Viral marketing is certainly one way to go.

only reason I found out about you guys was by pure chance when randomly searching pirates on google once... :wp
Funny that; I did the same. I randomly dug out my old PotC copy one day and thought "I wonder if there are any updates for this game?"
Needless to say, I was stunned by what I found. :shock

In relation to the question at hand, I would pretty much like build 14 to be stable, and not crash often :urgh Of course it is still a beta 1, but a stable build 14 would pretty much make me happy, since I don't have to save every time I do an interaction in fear of crashing. A bug free Build 15 is only in my distant dreams... :( :eek:k

PoTC: NH B14 is probably the only pirates game I actually play on my computer. I'm trying to find another pirates game I'll enjoy that is like PoTC. If anyone has any suggestions, would be great to know.

:trio

Back