• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

2010 FIFA World Cup

Captain Maggee

Aussie Pirate
Storm Modder
Pirate Legend
So here it is, I am really excited about the world cup starting on June 11....

Thought I would make a topic where we can have some friendly discussion over the teams, winners and games/groups.

Ill start us off then: after 32 years of not being in the world cup for Australia to qualify in 2006 was absolutly magical and then to be the first team into South Africa (except of course the hosts) was a truely excellent feeling for the nation.
The group we have pulled is Germany, Serbia and Ghana and unfortunatly for Germany and Ghana both teams are missing big players (Ballack and Essin) which I hope will help Australia to at least make it to the round of 16 :)

PS. Congrats on our neighbours New Zealand making it as well and there win over Serbia in a friendly

FIXTURE
Code:
Group A                             Group B                              Group C                              Group D  
- Uruguay                          - Argentina                           - America                            - Germany
- Mexico                           - South Korea                         - England                            - Ghana
// South Africa                    // Greece                             // Slovenia                          // Australia 
// France                          // Nigeria                            // Algeria                           // Serbia 

Group E                            Group F                               Group G                              Group H
- Netherlands                      - Paraguay                            - Brazil                             - Spain
- Japan                            - Slovakia                            - Portugal                           - Chile
// Denmark                         // New Zealand                        // Ivory Coast                       // Switzerland 
// Cameroon                        // Italy                              // North Korea                       // Honduras

Round of 16       Quater Finals       Semi Finals       Finals       Semi Finals       Quater Finals       Round of 16
- Uruguay 2-1 South Korea                                                                                  - Argentina 3-1 Mexico
Uruaguay 1(4)-1(2) Ghana                                             Argentina 0-4 Germany
- America 1-2(et) Ghana                                                                                    - Germany 4-1 England
Netherlands 0-1(et) Spain
Netherlands 3-2 Uruaguay           Germany 0-1 Spain
Uruaguay 2-3 Germany
Netherlands 2-1 Slovakia                                                                                   - Paraguay 0(5)- 0(3) Japan       
Netherlands 2-1 Brazil                                               Paraguay 0-1 Spain
Brazil 3-0 Chile                                                                                           - Spain 1-0 Portugal

1st: Spain

2nd: Netherlands
3rd: Germany
4th: Uruaguay

Congratulations mate, and good luck to you Aussies!

I don't know a whole lot about Soccer, although I am a bit familiar with it. I played goalie for my school team when I was a kid, not so much because of my athletic prowess, as it was for the fact I was almost half as wide as the goal! xD:

It really has never caught on here in the states as a major sport, although that has started to change a bit in the past 20 years or so. I really did enjoy playing it, but it's not an easy game to watch for us fussy Americans. Although, I have no problem at all watching womens soccer matches! :woot

It looks like the US team is gonna have a tough go at it right off playing England on the 12'th, and it looks like Algeria and Slovenia won't exactly be a cake walk either. There should definitely be some games very worth watching in this World Cup!

Yeah we have the states in a friendly match before the world cup, should be an interesting game for sure

Here is a funny video that talks about Australia and Ballack's injury from Hitler's point of view :rofl

"I'm not drinking that crappy-gassy, light American beer. Cause it make my tummy... Bloated! You know I can't work my magic with the ladies when I'm bloated!"
24.gif

"I'm not drinking that crappy-gassy, light American beer. Cause it make my tummy... Bloated! You know I can't work my magic with the ladies when I'm bloated!"
24.gif

Canadian Beer is the way to go my friend. Now if only the Canadians would pick up their game and make it to the world cup

Australia beat Denmark in a friendly match last night 1-0... Who do you think Tasmanian born Princess Mary was going for? :rofl

I have wondered why it seems every world cup they keep changing the balls! Seems to me it would be tough to get consistent results when the ball your using is in a constant state of change. Once you get used to how one handled, it's time to try and figure out how the next one does! :shrug

Engineers defend World Cup football amid criticism

The engineers who have designed the official football for the 2010 World Cup have hit back at criticism of their ball by some players.

Fabio Capello said his players gave the new ball bad reviews, with some players saying it moves too quickly.

And goalkeepers have claimed the new Jabulani ball is difficult to handle.

But engineers at Loughbrough University claim that their tests show it is the most "consistent" football ever manufactured.

The football that former England international Geoff Hurst belted into the goal in the 1966 World Cup final was made from 18 pieces of leather, stitched together and fastened with laces.

The new World Cup football is made from just eight pieces of shaped synthetic material glued tightly together.

The result - for the first time in football history, say the manufacturers - is an undistorted, perfectly spherical ball.

But some players say it moves too quickly, and a number of goalkeepers say it is difficult to handle.

The engineers who helped design the ball, called the Jabulani, say it should be the most consistent football ever made.

Dr Andy Harland at Loughborough University used a robot to kick the ball.

His set up is able to reproduce corners, free kicks, passes and shots on goal - even more reliably than David Beckham.

Rest of story and video here:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science_and_environment/10231975.stm

I am sure he got more consistent kicks using a robot, but come on, the game is played by humans! :facepalm

Yes, why not just change the design on the ball, why do they have to have a completely unique ball for every world cup :facepalm

Later on in the article I think it pretty much explains why :

His robot tests, which were supported by the ball's manufacturer Adidas. showed that the Jabulani was better than previous World Cup balls. It flew through the air more smoothly and hit its targets more reliably.

Dr Harland's colleagues used a wind tunnel to aerodynamically design the grooves on its surface, which guide the ball as it flies through the air.

In the past, their positions have been determined by the ball's natural seams but the Jabulani doesn't have any seams so, according to Dr Martin Passmore of Loughborough University, engineers can put the grooves where they like.

"What we've tried to do with the inclusion of grooves," he explained, "is to make sure that the ball looks much more symmetrical in flight, so it flies in a much more controlled way and gives the control back to the player to get it to do what they want to do."

Young boys at the Kingston-Upon-Thames Little League say the new ball is "awesome".

But it's too expensive for their coach and one of the league's organisers, Andrew Standford.

His practice footballs cost £5 and match balls retail for £15. By comparison, the Jabulani costs more than £60.

What I don't get though, is why FIFA continues to just go along with the constant changes. My bet is somebody gets a pretty good share of the kickback booty, which is probably a big reason why the new ones cost £60! In the NFL, the actual ball has been the same for decades. They have changed the way the teams are allowed to prepare the balls, but the actual characteristics of the ball haven't changed. I should have said "Rest of the story" in my original post, fixed that now. :facepalm

Yes me neither, find a good one, and just redesign the actually design on it...

In team news...

The USA National team has beaten the Socceroos 3-1 in their final friendlys before the World Cup
I watched the game and the Americans forwards line has some real class and is good enough to beat any team I reckon, however they could work on defense more with Australia just not able to convert... Overall a good performance from both teams but I do think the Americans deserved the win :yes

Ahh, thanks for the update mate, I was planning on trying to watch this, but I missed it! :facepalm

Good luck to your Aussies the rest of the way!

For anyone who is interested here are the groups for the World Cup:

Code:
Group A                    Group B                     Group C                     Group D  
- South Africa             - Argentina                 - England                   - Germany
- Mexico                   - Nigeria                   - America                   - Australia
- Uruguay                  - South Korea               - Algeria                   - Serbia
- France                   - Greece                    - Slovenia                  - Ghana

Group E                    Group F                     Group G                     Group H
- Netherlands              - Italy                     - Brazil                    - Spain
- Denmark                  - Paraguay                  - North Korea               - Switzerland
- Japan                    - New Zealand               - Ivory Coast               - Honduras
- Cameroon                 - Slovakia                  - Portugal                  - Chile

Just thought I would put this up:

PORTUGAL 7-0 DPR KOREA

(DPR Korea had a go at Australia for loosing to Germany so in reply)
:rofl

Oh yes, I forgot to mention that one, and I dont think the penalty Italy got was really a penalty either... Congrats to New Zealand!

Uruguay, Mexico, Argentina, South Korea, USA, England are already through to the round of 16

Well done guys :onya

Oh and here is a song that is on the Aussie broadcast station for the World Cup

NOTE: About New Zealand... they have a total of 25 professional footballers to choose their squad from compared to Italy's THOUSANDS

Back