• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

WIP 38 gun frigate Hebe, 1782

I suppose the Centurion can replace the old 'Fearless', despite the latter being what looks like a very poor attempt at the Dauntless on Akella's part.
To be fair, I guess the US are missing one of their typical large 74s, so one of those would be pretty good. They have a repainted Bellona, but it doesn't look like an American design at all.
Either way, it's a big step up from your frigates! :shock

Yeah, well an american design for a 74 from 1799 that was never built but was the basis for the 1812 liners is the candidate for the large 74, good guess;) we shall have to see how I feel about it after building the Endymion.
also the rig of the Hebe is nearly done, just have to size and place the spars.:keith

Ooooh... You put the fore and main t'gallant shrouds too high up again. Otherwise it looks pretty good. The mizzen shrouds are perfect.

Edit: It wasn't really typical for a frigate of that period to fly a mizzen royal.

as far as I can tell it was typical enough to fly a mizzen royal, as long as the other royals were set. I know it was somewhat common to take it down, but probably eaqually as common to leave it up. it was in the sailplan too, which even included skysails. How come you never pointed that out on my other ships?

Looks good to me, mate! :onya
The only thing I'd say is about the number of lines you've modelled again. We've discussed before that it looks pretty odd when a mast falls and the one behind it has several lines hanging in mid-air.
I would suggest removing most of the lines that can be added using rope locators. See the third screenshot of my mast rigging on the Rossiya in this post. The masts are modified from the HMS Greyhound model, which looks very accurate in-game with most of the lines added using rope locators.

Before removing any lines though, you might want to add a locator in Maya to the beginning and end of each one, labelling them 'ropeb#' and 'ropee#' respectively. That would help immensely for when you start to create the locator files for the ship.

exactly what I was thinking of doing, I just wanted to have the ropes there first for reference. I should probably do that for my other ships too.

Ah OK. I guess it looks nice for show at this stage, anyway. :)

as far as I can tell it was typical enough to fly a mizzen royal, as long as the other royals were set. I know it was somewhat common to take it down, but probably eaqually as common to leave it up. it was in the sailplan too, which even included skysails. How come you never pointed that out on my other ships?

It was mainly due to the type and time period of the vessels. Mizzen royals were used exceedingly rarely (everyone had them, but no one used them often) until the war of 1812. It's actually very hard to find contemporary illustrations of them being flown, and they were generally not considered plain sail. They would also only be truly useful with the breeze off the quarter.
It should also be noted that the mizzen t'gallantmast is much thinner in diameter than the rest of the masts, making it considerably weaker. American vessels are well know for flying mizzen royals, so I agree with the sail's inclusion on the Essex. The only reason I commented now was that I felt that we are starting to reach an unrealistic proportion of vessels that use such rare sails.I also felt that they were a bit out of place on a frigate of that earlier style.

Edit: Sail plans tend to show every possible sail. I have seen a few plans that do not include mizzen royals. The sails became much more popular after the Napoleonic period.

I forgot that this ship is considered earlier than the rev and essex:p there are a few features that make her appear more as she wouldve in the 1790s or early 1800s, such as the round bow, and I am not strictly trying to portray her 'as built'.
I think it wouldve been up to the captain wether to set it or not, and this painting shows a french ship as early as 1794 with the mizzen royal rigged. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Capture_of_Engageante_Babet_and_Pomone_131144.JPG
If its really such a big deal I guess I could remove it for the sake of variety

It definitely would have been up to the captain, but it still would have been pretty unusual. I can see where it would come in handy in the context of the painting.

EDIT: Just another thought that recently occurred to me: The bowsprit is at a high angle typical of earlier frigates that does not match the mizzen royal.

I'll omit the mizzen royal for the sake of a variety of rigs.:)
a quick question about doing stays with locators; when I seperate the mast into different files, should I put the locators with one mast, or should they be in a seperate file of their own that gets attached to both masts?

Ropes attached between two masts will have one locator on both masts. For example, a rope between mast1 and mast2 might have locator Ropeb1 on mast1 and corresponding Ropee1 on mast2.
However, when it comes to staysails, the entire sail is attached to just one of the two masts it lies between.

Back