• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

A Family' Story

You can always change the year in FreePlay. That's part of what makes it Free Play. ;) In fact, if you make Almeida American then the player must change the year because by default it starts in 1682, America doesn't exist, and the player will never see Almeida. The 'model.date' lines in the definition for the "Almeida" model in "initModels.c" mean that if the player chooses that character, the date will be set to June 1812, but there's nothing to prevent the player from changing it again after choosing the character.

If you want to lock the time, one option is to make it a full storyline rather than a sidequest, which has the added benefit that it then appears in the storyline selection list so more people will find it. Another would be to only allow the sidequest to trigger if the year is at least 1812. (You can't check for the year being exactly 1812 because by the time the player reaches level 10, it might be 1813 or later.)

Otherwise we'll need to figure out a way to lock the date for models with an active 'model.storytitle' line in their definitions. José Joaquím Almeida isn't the only FreePlay character who will look odd if the player changes the year after selecting the character - imagine playing Francis Drake in the "Golden Age of Piracy" period, doing the "Angelique Moulin" sidequest, and digging up his own sword. xD

Otherwise we'll need to figure out a way to lock the date for models with an active 'model.storytitle' line in their definitions.
That sounds interesting :yes
Otherwise, don't ask me to start a full storyline, in this case with Almeida, I have no time for that xD
I finished the "A Family Story" quest today. Tomorrow, I need to download the last version released by Grey Roger and merge my files.
I have another idea of quest I want to do. But, I need to create a free play mode set during the Seven Years' War.

I tested the extended version of this quest with no shortcut. I've had to start a new play with José Joaquim Almeida and reach level 10. The quest works but I want to improve some few things like adding some officer locators to a location and making a new texture for the Fernando Suarez' outfit (changing some colors)
I hope to release the quest Sunday.

Merging this into my update archive now...

For what is face portrait 583 intended? It looks as though it matches your new "FernandoSuarez" model, but in "initModels.c", he's set to use FaceID 6. Anyway, I've also used 583 for something else, so yours has just become 584 - and if it is indeed intended for "FernandoSuarez", I'll edit "initModels.c" accordingly.

Merging this into my update archive now...

For what is face portrait 583 intended? It looks as though it matches your new "FernandoSuarez" model, but in "initModels.c", he's set to use FaceID 6. Anyway, I've also used 583 for something else, so yours has just become 584 - and if it is indeed intended for "FernandoSuarez", I'll edit "initModels.c" accordingly.
Yes, it seems I forgot to change FaceID for "FernandoSuarez".
Indeed, in "initModels.c", change it to 584 :yes

It's working:
suarez_interface1.jpg suarez_interface2.jpg

Interface pictures usually have a frame around them. For example:
face_584.jpg

If you want frames round the interface pictures, download the attached zip.

If you have Photoshop, or anything else which can read Photoshop files, adding the frames is easy. In each of the sub-folders of "RESOURCE\Textures\INTERFACES\Portraits" is "face_blank.psd", which is a Photoshop file with the frame as a layer. You just copy in your picture as another layer under the frame, save the whole thing back as a .tga, then convert it as usual.

More serious, and something which I can't fix, is a message I found in "system.log":
Code:
LOCATOR: Can't find locator with name: reload_4, geo: Conceicao_locators
You will need to upload a version of "RESOURCE\MODELS\Islands\Conceicao\Conceicao_locators.gm" which has "reload_4" defined; this is the locator for your new beach.

Attachments

• PORTRAITS.zip
    118.7 KB · Views: 376
Last edited:
Well, it seems I forgot to upload the updated version of the Conceicao_locators.gm.
About the frame, I'll do a new version of the Interface pictures.
Tomorrow, I'll upload the stuff here.

Family story quest completed!

There is one question about it-
If Jose fight with French then it says quest is completed.
But if not, like quick travel to ship from Bartolomeu's home (then no need to fight with French), quest is still remain open in quest book(not closed).

If anyone choose the second option then is this quest remain open for farther adventure??

Last edited:
Family story quest completed!

There is one question about it-
If Jose fight with French then it says quest is completed.
But if not, like quick travel to ship from Bartolomeu's home (then no need to fight with French), quest is still remain open in quest book(not closed).

If anyone choose the second option then is this quest remain open for farther adventure??

The quest is only completed when you sink the French ship or board the ship and kill the Captain.
No farther adventure for this quest if you choose the second option.
However, maybe I could add something after the naval battle...

It's a nice side quest :onya
Please change the cross hair color of the rifle like yellow or red...
Black color is very difficult to understand/see specially at night or low light condition.

I've got a vague memory it might've been green before.
But that looks really out of place in a pirate game...

Back