• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

A Family' Story

Yes that will be the case. So if nothing more is done that special flag will be visible in Turks too. Maybe it's possible to set/reset
things so not wanted flags will be raised.

The special flag should not be visible on Turks Island as I'd expect the fort to show the governor's national flag, which will be British in 1812 when "A Family Story" is set.

But if you capture Turks Island for yourself, presumably the fort shows your personal flag. And possibly so will this location.

Why not make it a character? You could either put an invisible figure there, or a French soldier - someone has to guard the regimental colours!

I finished the location and chose the FR_Razee for the French :D
This week-end, I'll test the flag.

Attachments

• FR_Razee.jpg
    FR_Razee.jpg
    197.6 KB · Views: 383
'Flags.Personal.texture' is the row, and it starts at 0, but flag texture files start at 1. So a value of 1 there means the flag is in "perflg2.tga.tx". If you're going to add a new one, it will either need to replace one of the three remaining empty slots on the last row or it will replace an existing flag. Assuming it's taking one of the empty slots in row 7, that means you'll want 'Flags.Personal.texture' to be 6.
So, I should add my flag in "perflg7.tga.tx", right?
I did that but unfortunately it seems this file doesn't work. I've had to add my flag in "perflg6.tga.tx". I use an old version of the mod and the "perflg7.tga.tx" was modified the last time in 2017. So, I suppose you have a more recent version of this file.
Well, next week, I need to update my new horizons mod.
Otherwise, I tested the flag but it has a mirrored side.(Sorry, I forgot to take a screenshot to show you this side...)

Attachments

• flag.jpg
    flag.jpg
    373.5 KB · Views: 407
Ok, I updated my New Horizons mod. I have now the last version :)

For testing purposes, I added the following code in the console.c:
Code:
ref cmdr = CharacterFromID("Fernando Suarez");
CaptureTownForNation("Quebradas Costillas", PERSONAL_NATION);
cmdr.nation = PERSONAL_NATION;
cmdr.Flags.Personal = 4;
cmdr.Flags.Personal.texture = 6;
Towns[GetTownIndex("Quebradas Costillas")].gov = "Fernando Suarez";

And this one in the location I want to use the Napoleonic flag:
Code:
Locations[n].townsack = "Quebradas Costillas"; // KK

I noted the only value working is 5 for the Flags.Personal.texture (for the other values, no flag will appear in the location).
But, this value 5 uses the perflg6.tga.tx file and in my case I must add the flag in perflg7.tga.tx.:(

Anyone knows why the game only accept the perflg6.tga.tx file?

Does it not show after a location reload?

Alternatively, it could be this feature doesn't fully work yet.
Does it happen to be the same flag texture that your own player flag is on?

Does it not show after a location reload?
Of course, I always do a location reload.
Alternatively, it could be this feature doesn't fully work yet.
Does it happen to be the same flag texture that your own player flag is on?
The most weird is if I rename my custom perflg7.tga.tx to perflg6.tga.tx, the flag will show up.
I did that this afternoon to take a screenshot of the flag.

Last edited:
Small engine bug, it seems. :(
It's not a bug, it's a feature or engine limitation. It's the necessary result of texture files which only show one side of each flag, and its fine for almost all flags including all natonal flags. For example, the French tricolour has the blue bar to the left, near the mast; the reverse side is its mirror with blue to the right, again near the mast.
I noted the only value working is 5 for the Flags.Personal.texture (for the other values, no flag will appear in the location).
But, this value 5 uses the perflg6.tga.tx file and in my case I must add the flag in perflg7.tga.tx.:(

Anyone knows why the game only accept the perflg6.tga.tx file?
@Jack Rackham: perhaps this is the same problem you had with the pirate flag on the fort or flagpole, which only appears if it is in one particular file, tied to the period? "A Family Story" is set in the "Napoleonic" period which, if it is the same problem, would correspond to "flags.personal.texture" needing to be 5.

It's not a bug, it's a feature or engine limitation. It's the necessary result of texture files which only show one side of each flag, and its fine for almost all flags including all natonal flags. For example, the French tricolour has the blue bar to the left, near the mast; the reverse side is its mirror with blue to the right, again near the mast.
Pretty much what I meant.
It's possible to do the UV mapping so it shows right from both sides, but the game engine developers didn't do that.
Probably thought it would never be necessary.

Maybe it was like that with Blackbeard's flag which is placed in pirflg3.tga
But I 'm also using the personal swedish and irish flags and placed in perflg5.tga should have been 3 as I'm in Golden Age of Piracy?

Pretty much what I meant.
It's possible to do the UV mapping so it shows right from both sides, but the game engine developers didn't do that.
Probably thought it would never be necessary.
If it showed the same face from both sides, a lot more flags would be wrong, starting with most of the national flags. The only ones which really look wrong due to the reverse being the mirror image of the front are those with writing, such as the EITC flag, or that American flag - which is itself either a bug or an engine limitation. It's the US Navy jack and should only be on the jackstaff of an American warship, but the game doesn't allow different flags on different masts.

@Jack Rackham: how are you using the Swedish and Irish flags? Is it the same way that you're using the Blackbeard flag, or do they go somewhere else? Personal and Pirate flags aren't normally tied to period, otherwise any sidequest which used one wouldn't work in the wrong period and pirate ships would routinely show no flag at all if they randomly picked one from the wrong file. Even on forts, Personal flags aren't normally tied to period because Nathaniel Hawk's default flag is in "perflg3.tga.tx" but his storyline is in "Colonial Powers", yet his flag shows up when you capture Bridgetown.

If it showed the same face from both sides, a lot more flags would be wrong, starting with most of the national flags.
Hmm... That's a fair point. Indeed there would've been no way to get it both right, without independent textures on either sides.

The only ones which really look wrong due to the reverse being the mirror image of the front are those with writing, such as the EITC flag, or that American flag - which is itself either a bug or an engine limitation. It's the US Navy jack and should only be on the jackstaff of an American warship, but the game doesn't allow different flags on different masts.
If someone were creative enough, I'm certain it could be accomplished.
But it's part of the Different Flags mod which is so complicated that I still suspect it to be the cause for weird effects.
So indeed... Not feasible.

@Jack Rackham: how are you using the Swedish and Irish flags? Is it the same way that you're using the Blackbeard flag, or do they go somewhere else? Personal and Pirate flags aren't normally tied to period, otherwise any sidequest which used one wouldn't work in the wrong period and pirate ships would routinely show no flag at all if they randomly picked one from the wrong file. Even on forts, Personal flags aren't normally tied to period because Nathaniel Hawk's default flag is in "perflg3.tga.tx" but his storyline is in "Colonial Powers", yet his flag shows up when you capture Bridgetown.
Difference might be between PERSONAL_NATION and PRIVATEER_NATION. I don't dare guarantee that Privateer works as well as Personal does.

And I don't imagine there should be a period-dependency; but it might be a dependency on the player's chosen flag.

Blackbeard's flag:
CaptureTownForNation("Grand_Turk", PIRATE);
cmdr.nation = PIRATE;
cmdr.Flags.Pirate = 6; cmdr.Flags.Pirate.texture = 2;

Irish:
CaptureTownForNation("Grand Turk", PERSONAL_NATION);
cmdr.Flags.Personal = 2; cmdr.Flags.Personal.texture = 4;

Swedish:
CaptureTownForNation("Grand Turk", PERSONAL_NATION);
cmdr.Flags.Personal = 3; cmdr.Flags.Personal.texture = 4;

"PRIVATEER_NATION" is, as far as I know, only used twice, both times by me. The first is in "Smuggling for Thomas O'Reily", so that Port Royale fort doesn't get confused if you're hostile to Britain, are flying a false flag, and the smuggler ship is flying a Personal flag. The second is in the "Assassin" storyline for the same reason, only it's Sao Jorge fort and the not-French warship is the one with the Personal flag.

It is possible that I missed something when adding the 7th row of Personal flags. Whether that's the problem, rather than the period dependency @Jack Rackham found with the Blackbeard flag, is easily checked. @Bartolomeu o Portugues, could you as an experiment set your flag to be from any file except "perflag6.tga.tx" and "perflag7.tga.tx"? It doesn't need to be the correct flag for your story; just see what happens if, for example, you set "Flags.Personal.Texture" to 3 and "Flags.Personal" to 2. If the problem is matching the flag file to the period then that won't show up either; if it's a problem with row 7 then those numbers should produce an older French style flag.

@Bartolomeu o Portugues, could you as an experiment set your flag to be from any file except "perflag6.tga.tx" and "perflag7.tga.tx"? It doesn't need to be the correct flag for your story; just see what happens if, for example, you set "Flags.Personal.Texture" to 3 and "Flags.Personal" to 2. If the problem is matching the flag file to the period then that won't show up either; if it's a problem with row 7 then those numbers should produce an older French style flag.
Yesterday, I did some tests with other values for the Flags.Personal.Texture and even Flags.Personal. Nothing was working except for Flags.Personal.texture=5. o_O

Back