• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

A Family' Story

Nothing was working except for Flags.Personal.texture=5
And your quest is in last period. P6 T5

Nathaniel Hawk's default flag is in "perflg3.tga.tx" but his storyline is in "Colonial Powers"
P4 T3

My storyline is the third storyline but the personal flag textures that did work were all from Personal.texture = 4. P3 T4

Difficult to see the system here.

Yesterday, I did some tests with other values for the Flags.Personal.Texture and even Flags.Personal. Nothing was working except for Flags.Personal.texture=5. o_O
That pretty well nails it down to the same sort of problem as @Jack Rackham had, with the choice of flag file limited by period.

Add in the fact that one side of the flag is going to be a mirror image of the other side, and I'd suggest just using a basic French tricolour. Use the governor of any French colony, leave his nation as FRANCE, and protect the colony in question:
Code:
DisableTownCapture("Marigot", true);
Replace "Marigot" with the colony you're using. That way the player can't capture the colony, which would replace both the colony's flag and yours.

Otherwise you could try this:
french_regiment.jpg
It's an 1812 style regimental flag with the writing removed, which might not be as accurate, but then the reverse side with a mirror of the writing on the front side is never going to be accurate anyway. The "N" is going to look odd on the reverse side but it won't be as obvious. This would need to go into "perflg6.tga.tx", and one of the flags from there would need to move to "perflg7.tga.tx". (I recommend moving Roxanne Lalliere's flag as that's another of yours. ;))

And failing all else, leave the flag out entirely. You have the eagle on the staff. The regimental flag itself would probably be back at base and only the eagle would be out in the field. So if you have the eagle working, that alone is probably the most realistic option as well as avoiding problems with flag files and mirror images.

Roxanne Lalliere is a major character in the "Bartolomeu" storyline and also puts in an appearance during "Assassin". Her character definition includes her Personal flag. Personally, I probably never saw it because when she's sailing as a companion, she'll use the same flag as you. She might use her Personal flag when you're using yours, but not when you're flying a Portuguese flag. ;)

But I do know that the Personal flag used by the smuggler ship in "Smuggling for Thomas O'Reily" doesn't care about period. I've recently played that quest in "Golden Age of Piracy", which would only work with flags in "perflg3.tga.tx" if it were period dependent. The smuggler ship takes its flag from "perflg2.tga.tx".

You have the eagle on the staff. The regimental flag itself would probably be back at base and only the eagle would be out in the field. So if you have the eagle working, that alone is probably the most realistic option as well as avoiding problems with flag files and mirror images.
For now, I let the staff without flag. But, in the future, it would be great if anyone could make some code that easily "add a flag to a location".
Next week, I'm going to take a few days off. So, I want to finish the extension of the family' story quest.
But I have a question. I want to trigger this new part from a dialog.c file. The idea is a new dialogue option will show up if the following conditions exist:
1)- Grenada island is english
2)- France and England are at war
What's the code for that?

Thanks Pieter, I'll test the code, today :)
Another question:
I need a condition that check if it's night or day like:
Code:
if( currentime>22.00 AND currentime<6.00)
{
// My Stuff
}
else
{
// My Stuff
}
Is there a function I can use for that?

@Bartolomeu o Portugues
I wonder if you could help me tilt this armchair so it's just straight on the floor (looking forward).
View attachment 34205
I suppose you tried to do that with TOOL?
The models I add to POTC are SketchUP models I convert using Maya. Now, converting a gm. model to a SketchUP model, it's much more difficult. I tried in the past but I didn't succeed :(

In the past when I created this quest, for testing purposes, I set the starting location in Grenada instead of Eleuthera. Unfortunately, I don't remember how I did this change.
I'd like to change back to Eleuthera. How can we change that in the Free Play mode?

Attachments

• starting location.jpg
    starting location.jpg
    332.1 KB · Views: 505
That would require some double tweaking, because Portuguese always start on Grenada by default.
There would need to be an override in StartStoryline.c/both_reaction.c but also the select_storyline.c interface file to have it display correctly.

That would require some double tweaking, because Portuguese always start on Grenada by default.
There would need to be an override in StartStoryline.c/both_reaction.c but also the select_storyline.c interface file to have it display correctly.
Ok, forget what I said xD
I thought by default the starting location for the Almeida free play was in Eleuthera.
Otherwise, at his wikipedia page:
José Joaquim Almeida - Wikipedia
I found that:
"He emigrated to the United States in 1796, at 19 years old, settling in Baltimore, Maryland, where he obtained citizenship"
So, even if he was Portuguese, he was also American. Why not set "Nation" to America and thus his starting port would be Eleuthera and could work for the Governor right away.

The starting location for the quest is Eleuthera. The starting point for the character is Grenada. Since the character starts at level 5 and the quest only triggers at level 10, he has plenty of time to make his way to Eleuthera. :D

The reason for moving the quest to Eleuthera is that he starts off with an American LoM, so he'll go to Eleuthera to get promoted, probably several times during his rise from level 5 to level 10.

Changing the model's nation to America would mean the outfit would only be buyable at American tailors, not Portuguese. And during character selection for FreePlay, you'd only find him under America instead of Portugal, which also means you'd only see him if you've already set the year late enough for America to appear. That means even fewer players would find the character and play the quest...

The reason for moving the quest to Eleuthera is that he starts off with an American LoM, so he'll go to Eleuthera to get promoted, probably several times during his rise from level 5 to level 10.
Yes indeed. Since he starts with a US LoM, any player who selected him will end up visiting Eleuthera periodically anyway.
So the start should happen sooner or later. :yes

during character selection for FreePlay, you'd only find him under America instead of Portugal, which also means you'd only see him if you've already set the year late enough for America to appear. That means even fewer players would find the character and play the quest...
Fair point! Indeed that would be quite unfortunate, since clearly @Bartolomeu o Portugues is putting in some effort to make it good.

And during character selection for FreePlay, you'd only find him under America instead of Portugal, which also means you'd only see him if you've already set the year late enough for America to appear. That means even fewer players would find the character and play the quest...
I think it is a non-sense to let the player change the year. Imagine he sets the Almeida free play mode in the 16th Century.
That means the starting ship didn't exist in that time and my quest was about a pirate dead a long time ago but he didn't born o_O

I think it is a non-sense to let the player change the year. Imagine he sets the Almeida free play mode in the 16th Century.
That means the starting ship didn't exist in that time and my quest was about a pirate dead a long time ago but he didn't born o_O
Disabling the choice for player year in the Free Play storyline goes against the concept of the Free Play storyline.
The player would then technically have a predecessor of Almeida; with a futuristic ship obtained through abusing the game settings.
In a similar way, it's quite easy to start the game with the HMS Endeavour for any starting character in any time period without even using the cheats.
It makes no sense, but what could we do? In the end, if we gave players full choice over everything, then this is the consequence.

Might be an idea to upgrade Almeida to his own storyline then.
That'll also give him some extra visibility, so that might be a good idea anyway.

Back