• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

A fan of 18th C. sail: which game to mod?

Enjoy mate! Let us know if you run in to any issues.

OH QUICK QUESTION!!!:
-I know one should NOT INSTALL TO DEFAULT "Program Files". But though i have windows on my C: drive, I keep most of my games under a "D: Program Files" folder. So i have a secondary Program Files folder that has the exact same folder name as most default installs use, except on my D drive.

Should that be okay for PotC?
And does the same restriction on install folder apply to AoP:CoAS?!
As long as it's not the "official Windows Program Files", I don't expect a problem. So your D-Drive version should work fine.
As PotC, AoP and CoAS use virtually the same game engine, what applies to the one, applies to the others as well for the most part. So for CoAS, I also recommend not installing to C:\Program Files or C:\Program Files (x86) .

Allrighty, then! So I installed PotC to D: as discussed. The game would get to the Disney Interactive and Akella credit screens, then to the screen wherein one selects "New Game"...
... then would go to desktop.
Consulted the faq, and tried the compatibility tool. If I was using it properly, in its extensive library of legacy games, it should have had a fix associated with ENGINE.exe (without me installing anything). Same outcome however, whether I ran ENGINE.exe through the Microsoft Compatiblity tool or standalone.
ffdshow's codecs ARE on my new lappy, but the video configuration menu had ENGINE.exe already listed as an exception.
I had read somewhere of changing desktop resolution before loading to a nonHD resolution, but that did not help.
Finally, I installed SwiftShader to the PotC folder (to anyone reading this: put the downloaded installation file directly into that folder, click the installer, and that should be all you need to do).
Weird thing was, AT FIRST IT DID NOT WORK. But perhaps I just hadn't let the SwiftShader update all the system settings(?). Anyhow, with SwiftShader, I was able to get past the New Game screen. The game ran choppily.

But it ran.

Using AMD's Catalyst drivers, I've tried to convince the 7970 graphics card to take over graphic responsibilities from the onboard Intel graphics for ENGINE.exe, but apparently to no avail, given the requirement of SwiftShader. Which is a shame because I think it could run SO much smoother if I didn't have to resort to SwiftShader. But it certainly runs well enough. Hopefully, as AMD gets its drivers in better shape (specifically the ENDURO component, which, when trying to keep power consumption down on the GPU, overaggressively shoves graphics responsibilities onto the Intel onboard graphics rather than simply letting the AMD GPU Radeon 7970 do everything... and PotC doesn't like that without SwiftShader), SwiftShader won't be necessary. But no sweat. So I tried base PotC for a few minutes.

Then I installed the build 14 beta2.1 full (I don't want to get the newest until I've had some time with the more stable full install...). Did the installation and did not interfere with the batch file process afterwards. Started it up, clicked New Game (after being impressed by the great opening screens!)...
...and crashed to desktop!

Hmmm...

So I uninstalled SwiftShader. Put an exception on Data Execution Prevention for ENGINE.exe.

And still crashed to desktop.

So i REINSTALLED SwiftShader.

BINGO!

Things are up and running.

Just wanted to write this post in case it offered new information for anyone struggling with PotC and Win7 while my sequence to success was fresh in my mind.

Even with just a few minutes of play, it's mind blowing what an improvement Build 14 is over stock PotC. I kind of felt like PotC stock was the "demo/beta" for a proposed game that the developers were trying to sell to investors, so that they could make Build 14. Which just feels SO much more polished.

Okay, off for more fun. Hopefully added to the collective knowledge pool by a wee tiny bit with this entry!

Thanks!

Curses! I have a vague memory of laptops with Nvidia graphics having that problem that was solved in the BIOS by disabling the Intel graphics.

Curses! I have a vague memory of laptops with Nvidia graphics having that problem that was solved in the BIOS by disabling the Intel graphics.

Yes, the problem here is that with the Clevo/Sager laptops, the AMD Radeon 7970 GPU actually has to go THROUGH the Intel onboard graphics. As a matter of hardware, one cannot simply remove the Intel portion out of the graphics equation.

One could hope that Enduro (the command set that AMD uses, similar to NVidia's Optimus, that, as a means of conserving energy, directs graphics responsibilities to the Intel onboard graphics when it can) would be software directable to simply NOT use the Intel graphics whenever I access ENGINE.exe, but alas, Enduro at this stage is very very very stupid. And it is misdirecting graphics calculations onto the Intel architecture not just for ENGINE.exe, but even graphics intensive fps. It is the source of GREAT frustration on the Sager/Clevo laptop forums. Note Alienware laptops aren't nearly as hostage to Enduro's stupidity as the designers built a hardware Mux, a gatekeeper, that one can control to simply bypass the Intel onboard graphics, even if Enduro, given the choice, would (mis)utilize the Intel graphics, given the opportunity. So if I had an Alienware, I wouldn't have this issue: I could simply direct the laptop to, regardless of Enduro, bypass the Intel.

But not with Sager/Clevos. There is no hardware bypass, so no BIOS control, and so it has to go through the Intel, so I have to rely on the AMD Enduro drivers to give much better control than they do now to not use the Intel when accessing ENGINE.exe. And that control simply isn't there right now. And there is some concern that it might not EVER arise.

Which kind of cheeses me off given this is a brand new laptop. And otherwise, is great!

Sigh.

But like I said, it runs adequately. It just seems a little nuts to have a Ferrari but have to run it like a Pacer.

That's tech for you!

:)

Stupid computer thing! I hope you can figure out something to make the game use your REAL GFX card; it is quite a shame that you have to use SwiftShader.
Good news that it runs at all though. Even with SwiftShader, on most computers that makes the game incredibly unstable.

Glad you at least got it working mate, choppy POTC is MUCH better than no POTC! :onya

Over the years Intel Integrated Graphics have been one of the biggest problem that we have had to deal with on these forums. Intel has finally made some strides with their Ivy Bridge design, but I personally wouldn't trust Intel graphics for anything more intensive than a spreadsheet.

CoAS seems to handle Intel graphics quite a bit better than the original Storm engine in POTC, but some have required Swiftshader as well. Perhaps that one will play a bit smoother for you.

Back