• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Included in Build A new buccaneer camp?

Not from my side. But as always the more unique quest things are the better as I see it.

Having two characters with the same ID doesn't seem to cause problems, which is just as well, because in "PROGRAM\Characters\init\SideQuest.c":
If I recall, the storyline version with the same ID simply overwrites the regular one, so you're still left with only one copy of the character.

Not from my side. But as always the more unique quest things are the better as I see it.
Perhaps one of us can play around with it, either to make a different version for the quest or a different version for elsewhere? It should be easy to tweak the texture, at least.

I've changed "PROGRAM\Characters\init\SideQuest.c" to put the three buccaneers into the camp right from the start of the game. (And also made their swords period-dependent. Their guns already are, they get either "pistol1" or "pistol1a" depending on whether it's "Golden Age" and later.) "Buccaneers_Camp" doesn't look quite so deserted now, though their starting locators are all on the low street along from the tavern, so the high street along from the store still looks empty until they move round. (Or unless I move one of the locators to there.)

It would still be nice to have random walkers as well, though. It should be possible - "Smugglers_lair" has them.

About changing a starting locator, you mean in the SideQuest.c, right? Not in the locators file of this location.
I say that because some locators are used by the storyline and it's important not to change their positions.

If I can find a suitable locator on the other street, preferably one not used in any storyline, then I can move one of the buccaneers there. As far as I can see, they're not used by any story or quest, they're just put in place during the "Angelique Moulin" storyline (or by "PROGRAM\Storyline\Bartolomeu\characters\init\Story.c"). And then they're removed at the end of "Angelique Moulin" - I'll have to disable those lines, or the camp is going to look empty again after you've rescued Moulin Senior...

Of course, if random walkers can be made to appear in the new "Buccaneers_Camp" then it won't much matter where the buccaneers are...

I think in that time I made some quick dialogues for them. Maybe, you could improve them or give them the dialogues used by the random walkers.

The buccaneers in the "Bartolomeu" storyline have a short dialog which does not work properly - see Buccaneer dialog error. ;) The ones you meet in any other storyline have an even shorter dialog with no choices - they say "I've got no time to speak to you" and you answer "Never mind".

The pirates at Bonaire Pirate Fort aren't any more talkative unless you're playing "Tales of a Sea Hawk" and have reached one of the points in the quest which involves them. The ones in La Grenade Smugglers' Lair are slightly more vocal, they can conduct a conversation with two lines. xD

These guys aren't really there to stand and talk, they're little more than walking scenery. Using the random walker dialog is a bad idea because one of the outcomes is that you hire the walker, which potentially leaves the place minus all its guards and back to the original problem of looking almost empty. :D Unless the buccaneers are needed for quest purposes, the simple dialog which they have at the moment is as good as you'll find in any other pirate settlement.

In larger, civilised towns, yes. In pirate settlements, no. Partly because they're smaller, so you'll probably take longer asking for directions than if you just search the town for the key buildings yourself. And partly because the locals are less inclined to be helpful. I can see the conversation going something like this:
"Could you tell me how to get to the store?"
"Yeah, first you'll need to go back out of that gate."
"And then?"
"That's about it. Go back out of that gate."
The exception is Tortuga, which is so big that you're likely to get lost even if you do get directions and try to follow them rather than use the fast-travel icon which is now available. As for Buccaneers' Camp, the buccaneers don't even have names, they're just called "Pirate". (There are two characters who have always been there and who do have names - Bryan the Disgruntled and Bloody Norm Kidd. If anyone tells me to write dialogs for them, Bryan is going to suggest that you ask Norm where the store is, Norm is going to suggest that you ask Bryan where the store is, and both of them are going to say that the tavern is just through that big gate. :p)

Why not adding some dialogues that could be an introduction of the Buccaneer Camp? A bit like the dialogues of a random walker explaining the history of his town...

If anyone tells me to write dialogs for them, Bryan is going to suggest that you ask Norm where the store is, Norm is going to suggest that you ask Bryan where the store is, and both of them are going to say that the tavern is just through that big gate. :p)
Why not adding some dialogues that could be an introduction of the Buccaneer Camp? A bit like the dialogues of a random walker explaining the history of his town...
You were warned... xD

Random walkers aren't the ones who explain history, give directions etc. Those are the permanent citizens. Random walkers can sell you things, beg for money, pick your pocket, or occasionally offer to join you as an officer. They always use dialog file "Enc_Walker.c", regardless of where you find them. And I figured out how to put them into "Buccaneers_Camp".
bc_populated.jpg
In the distance are Bryan the Disgruntled and Bloody Norm Kidd. The man in the pirate hat is one of the three buccaneers. The man in the long brown coat is a random walker, and there are a lot more round the corner on the other street. How to do it: in "PROGRAM\Locations\init\Hispaniola.c", specifically in the definition of "Buccaneers_Camp", replace 'locations[n].type = "jungle";' with 'locations[n].type = "town";'.

As for Bryan and Norm, I've got as far as allowing you to ask them about the place, and they'll reply "It's a buccaneers' camp. It's for buccaneers. If you're a buccaneer, you should know this. If not... hey, are you some sort of government spy?" :rpirate More silliness to follow...

As for Bryan and Norm, I've got as far as allowing you to ask them about the place, and they'll reply "It's a buccaneers' camp. It's for buccaneers. If you're a buccaneer, you should know this. If not... hey, are you some sort of government spy?" :rpirate More silliness to follow...
Brilliant!! :rofl

I don't understand. Why only buccaneers can visit the camp? I will read these dialogues this afternoon to understand better :-D

It's "Buccaneers' Camp". This guy, at least, thinks that only buccaneers (or their friends) are supposed to be here. He may be wrong, but the point is, Bryan the Disgruntled and Bloody Norm Kidd are going to be a lot less helpful than the citizens of other towns. xD

You won't be reading the dialogues this afternoon because I haven't uploaded them yet. I've been doing a bit of work on the rest of the dialogue, but have still to test any of it. In any case, the new files will only apply to Bryan and Norm. The other three, who still just call themselves "Pirate", will continue to use the original "Buccaneers_dialog.c/h" files. You're welcome to expand those, either the general ones in "PROGRAM\DIALOGS" or the storyline-specific ones in "PROGRAM\Storyline\Bartolomeu\dialogs".

I wasn't planning on it, no. In any case, starting a fight with the locals is not a good idea. Especially now there are a lot more of them. :D

Back