• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

About the crew and officers

Tryton

Landlubber
Hi all,

I've been playing PotC New Horizons for a few days now and it sure is a mayor improvement. But there are a few things I dont completely understand.

1. U can put weapons in the weapons locker so that your crew will use them during a boaring. What happens if it's empty, does there has to be minimum number of weapons inside? And how about putting different weapons in it. Will the crew pick weapons randomly just or the best ones? And does the crew also use armor and pistols if you put them in the locker?

2. I have a few officers at the moment but I like to keep them alive. So I just keep them at the top of the screen at "passengers" instead of really assigning them. Will I still get the bonus they provide to my skills? And wich officers are the most important?

3. During a boarding vs pirates I have a hard time keeping track of who are my own men and who are the enemies. Is there some way to change the looks of your crew so that you can spot them easily?

4. I also found out that in New Horizon you need to increase your sailing skill to use higher class ships. What's the best way to do that because I'm lvl 11 at the moment but my sailing skill is only at 3.

Welcome Aboard :cheers

Answers to some of your questions:-

1) - If weapons Locker empty ( or not enough weapons ) game will give boarders default weapons. - Max no. of boarders is 18 I think - game automatically selects best swords in weapons locker to equip boarders. - Not sure about armour - I think pistols are supposed to be given if available ( never managed to get this to work myself.)

2) The only officers that come with you are the 3 in the slots at the bottom of the passenger screen - you can tell an officer not to come with you by talking to them ( there is an option in the dialog ) - all officers that hold posts ( navigator, first mate, surgeon etc ) contribute their skills in the summary. Most important officers depends on how you want to play the game ( be a pirate,- merchant, - fight a lot, - sail big ships, ) - of course the best officers are the ones with the highest skills :rofl

3) You can change the appearance of your boarders ( boarder model in Options on main Screen ) WARNING - this is bugged at the moment and can cause boarding to crash the game :shock :(
If you are not sure who is your crew - let them do the fighting - and only fight the people who attack you -- Actually it does not matter if you hit one of your crew in a fight because they won't be hurt ( you can't kill them )

4) Sail a lot --- Sail in Storms ( risky ) -- find or buy items that increase your sailing skills -- Hire a navigator with high sailing Skills ( don't let him be killed )

Hope this helps

:trio

1. If there's nothing in the weaponslocker, the crew will use ordinary cutlasses.
I think they select the best of what's in there, but I don't think they use armor.

2. The officers now contribute their skills regardless of whether they follow you ashore or not.
That allows you to select only the best fighters to accompany you.

3. There's code for that in place, but I don't think it works very well.
There IS a difference between your crewmembers and the pirates' ones though...

4. Sailing around in 3D sailing mode gives you some sailing experience every hour.
Try sailing around a bit in DirectSail mode (eg. don't use worldmap but just keep going) and see what you get.
I think storms give sailing experience too.

You are at level 11 and captain level 3? I'm jealous. I'm at level 14 and captain level 4. :bow Btw, the game is bugged and you can't rise above level 3. So the only way to get a bigger ship is to capture it. :piratesahoy! Or get it from Vanderdecken. :wp

Thanks guys this really helped me out. BTW Pieter, today I've tried sailing in a storm. And guess what, it gives you a huge bones to your sailing skill. In the upper left corner of the screens it says that it's only going up with 1 percent. But it actuallt raises about 5 or 6 percent. So with every storm my skill raises with 40 tot 60 percent.

So my sailing skill is at 5 right now and I can sails ships of class 5. I was thinking about buying one in the shipyard but there where a lot of ships that i could not get because they where navy ships. What does this mean and what can I do about it?

Normally you can only get Navy ships by capturing them at sea ( same with Class 1 & 2 I think ) - that is you can't buy them.

However, I think Navy Ships can also be given to you by Governors if you do a lot of missions for them and get a high enough military rank from them for doing the missions ( the military rank might also make Navy Ships buyable - I don't know as have never played that part of the game )

:keith

Sowee. I mis-understood you. I do that a lot. :eek:ops2

The way to get navy ships is to buy a letter of marque from a (every) governor. Then go out and sink a lot of ships. :whipa Then go back to that governor and get your rank. The better your rank, the better ships you can buy in the shipyard. Plus it is possible to get special ships from a governor if you are worthy. :shoot:

So today I got my first class 5 ship. The nice thing is that it's cargohold is huge. It should make smuggling a lot more lucrative.

So I got myself some contraband, sailed to the right island and set up a deal with the smuggler in the tavern. I went to the location (and yes they where there so thats not my problem) but for some reason I can't talk with them. Now I must say that the last time I made a deal the guards showed up and I talked myself out of it. But they killed the smugglers. Does that has anything to do with it?

I can answer a little bit about the locker - they most certainly DO use armor, I know because i loot the bodies of my crew when they die in a boarding, and i regularly pick up the cheap armor and boarding axes i have given them :cheeky

However, i cannot recall if they use my guns :(

Hello I'm new here, its been years that i've been looking for this kind of game and its just now that i got it, installed mod 13 too cause i like to play it open ended. My problem is that most of the time im clueless about what to do, especially about the officers when i hired them they are with me but a couple of days past after going to shore and see they do not follow me anymore, and about the crew also i got recruits that follow me but when i go to the crew deck they are all lvl 1 while the ones i recruited are lvl 11? any link about this thanks :D

[quote name='Capt'n Rapier' timestamp='1298174462' post='387246']
especially about the officers when i hired them they are with me but a couple of days past after going to shore and see they do not follow me anymore,
[/quote]

Welcome to the forum - :cheers

You can only have 3 officers follow you arround on Land - they must be in the 3 slots at the bottom of the passenger screen. ( quests can sometimes give you extra people ). Select who you want from the scrolling list at the top of the screen

Back