• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Adding new Sail-Down and Sail-Up steps

KillPhil

Corsair
Storm Modder
Hi
I wondered if it would be possible to add some new steps for the sails?
for example Full, 3/4, half and 1/4 and of course 0

Or even better, the upwind and downwind sails respectably, where available.
That's be even more useful.

That question comes up periodically, and so far there is no way to implement that. I would like to see storm sails implemented.

but isn't it possible to stop the animation for the sails at a specific point and add a new step there?

I think we're limited by the game engine in this case. I have a feeling the sail states are hard-coded, but I'm not 100% sure.
All I know is, you can't stop a sail's furl/unfurl animation half-way through, except when you start the opposite action to the one currently happening.

What we CAN control is which sails are furled in the 'Battle Sails' state, and some of the new ships in the works will make more use of that capability.

too bad :( it would be very nice to adjust sails for each situation.. there would be much more to train for sailing ships quite good
I just remember of another idea I had:
Is it possible to add a "hard turn", for example with shift + a/d to make the ship turn faster when you need it in battles and a "moderate turn" with strg + a/d when you have the feeling just to cruise over the waves?

In your characters "abilites" section there is one called "quick turn around". It will enable your ship to turn unrealistically fast.

Other than that, the longer you hold down the A or D key the faster your ship will turn until it reaches its maximum turn rate.

yes, I know the ability, but it turns your ship 180° around, but I thought about a possibility to make the turnrate more precise? Because if you you have a ship with a quite strong turnrate it moves unrealistic fast left/right and if I have a ship with a quite weak turnrate it takes a little long to get the maximum turnrate

Here's a thought for the faster turning: why not modify the 'quick turn around' ability so that the ship turns only 90 degrees instead of 180?
The point of this would be to make the manoeuvre more like 'club hauling', whereby the ship drops an anchor on one side to rapidly turn to face a different direction, usually to get a better firing angle (same as what happened in The Curse of the Black Pearl, when the Interceptor was being chased by the Pearl).

I'm pretty sure that would be easy to do, and at least get some use out of an otherwise-unrealistic ability.

yes that sound pretty good.. But I noticed that the ability turns the ship false if turnrate is modified.. for example my turn-rates are all +2.00 and when I use the ability I have a turndirection of ~300°.. that could be a problem.

Well I went ahead and made a test version of the club hauling ability anyway. :)
I've made the turn angle 60 degrees, so that it compensates for the ship's continued turning speed and makes and overall turn angle of around 90 degrees.
I also changed the ability's name and description (see screenshot here), as well as the requirements to get it (no longer needs Speed Increase). As a result, I changed the Sense Fairway requirements to Speed Increase and Manoeuvreability, instead of the former Quick Turn-around ability.

The mod is available here (ClubHauling_mod.7z).
Extract the files to your main game folder (back up first!), and you'll need to start a new game for the changes to take effect.
Let me know what you think.

Game engine limitations, I'm afraid. Would love to be proven wrong though.

I feel as though I should dispell some common misconceptions here...
Square rigged vessels never never ever never ever furled their squares'ls to sail closer to the wind. That would result in a loss of most of the vessel's sail area.
Stopping the animatoin of a sail being set to creat a reduced area would not be accurate at all. Doing it properly would be impossible in this game, so I'll have to skip that explanation. (I'm a little pressed for time at the moment)

I agree, I'll try to explain as well as I know how, post captain you may have to correct me later though. ships can take in reefs in there sails, which essentially has the effect of furling the sail partway. however, the postion of the yard changes when this happens. compare these two pictures of the suprise for an example. the top is without any reefs taken in. the bottom one is with the topsails reefed (noticed the yards are positioned differently or there would be a gap between the sail and the lower yard) http://factualimagin...commander-2003/

Going this properly sounds to me like it'd require an interface allowing you set sails individually.
Seems a bit much for a simple game. Not to mention hard to do even if it IS possible.

Well I went ahead and made a test version of the club hauling ability anyway. :)
I've made the turn angle 60 degrees, so that it compensates for the ship's continued turning speed and makes and overall turn angle of around 90 degrees.
I also changed the ability's name and description (see screenshot here), as well as the requirements to get it (no longer needs Speed Increase). As a result, I changed the Sense Fairway requirements to Speed Increase and Manoeuvreability, instead of the former Quick Turn-around ability.

The mod is available here (ClubHauling_mod.7z).
Extract the files to your main game folder (back up first!), and you'll need to start a new game for the changes to take effect.
Let me know what you think.
Armada, I tried your club hauling mod last night. (forgot to backup lol) And you need to increase the turn rate. It only turns about 45 degrees instead of 90. However, I didn't start a new game or even hit F11. I'll try that out now, but that's what happened with my first test. :facepalm

Ah, I don't know how to increase the turn rate as such. I set the turn angle to 45 degrees (or was it 60, I can't remember) to compensate for the time the ship takes to stop turning.
The idea was that, overall, a turn of 90 degrees was achieved, but that seems only to work on smaller ships.
A better angle compromise is needed either way, so I'll see what I can do.
Thanks for testing the mod, by the way! Seems it was forgotten about. :doff

Clubhauling mod? I indeed never even noticed that. Thanks for pointing it out, Legendary Spider!

The Willemstad Builders' Trials made a lot of changes to ship handling which involve the turning of ships.
This is mainly done by massively increasing the ships' inertia, which makes them handle more realistic, but also requires you to control them differently.
If you find that your ship turns faster than you want them to, just "use less rudder" by not keeping the "turn" button pressed as long as you'd usually do.
If your ship doesn't turn fast enough, you're pretty much stuck with the situation.

I think the increased momentum could give weird effects with the 180 degree/90 degree turn ability though that result in the ship turning more than she should.
You could balance it out to be 90 degrees on one ship, but I'm not certain if that would make it 90 degrees on all ships; would need to be tested.
Take a small and manoeuvrable ship and see what happens.

I think we theoretically could code in buttons for additional turning momentum in similar fashion to the steamship power control buttons.
I'm not sure how to make this sensible and realistic though; ships don't generally have two turning speeds.
If a ship doesn't turn fast, she doesn't turn fast.

Back