• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Included in Build Additional Custom Character Portraits

John Paul Jones portraits don't look at all like USA_adm_18 and
Jean Lafitte's not like Buccaneer1.

IMHO much less than de Graff.

I think we should abandon this idea Pieter.

I don't care if they look alike or not.
There are a whole bunch of other portraits that don't quite match their character models either.
Several of the Hornblower ones spring to mind.
In a few spots, we even made identical copies of existing skins just to give them a unique portrait.
Lady Barbara springs to mind.

Of course ideally those models should be adapted to match their portraits.
But that is a lot of work, so that is why I'm not asking for it.
Having the portraits already helps making them feel like the characters they're meant to be.
Not ideal, no. But better than nothing.

So please don't abandon this. I'm only asking for a few minutes' work.

I'll do it - no problem. But we have to remember this a thing to upgrade in the future.

When is next deadline for upoloading files? I've got a lot again.

I'll do it - no problem. But we have to remember this a thing to upgrade in the future.
I certainly wouldn't mind to further model enhancements in the future. There are a whole bunch of them that I'd like to see worked on.
But as far as I'm aware, you are the only one around who is gifted at doing them. And you already have still one of them on your To-Do list.
So for now, I don't really want to add to it. ;)

When is next deadline for upoloading files? I've got a lot again.
I want to make a new installer before I go to my parents' for the Christmas holidays.
So depending on how it goes, I may try to do this on Sunday evening. Does that work for you?

Just to be sure: is John Paul Jones using USA_adm_18 and USA_lut_18 and maybe even USA_cpt_18?
And these models are for common USA officers too?

I have to double the models...

Maybe I should upload tonight then.

Just to be sure: is John Paul Jones using USA_adm_18 and USA_lut_18 and maybe even USA_cpt_18?
And these models are for common USA officers too?
Yes, they are. That is the main reason I'd want a new portrait: A player character with the "generic US soldier" portrait doesn't look very awesome.
My original thought was to ONLY copy the "USA_lut_18" as that is the one in Select Storyline.

But "USA_adm_18" is actually used for the modder character in the Devlin Opera, so maybe that one would be needed too.
And then I suppose the third one may as well be copied as well. In that case, there could be three different portraits for variety's sake.
Maybe some images from the "John Paul Jones" film could be used as well?
Searching for "john paul jones navy" on Google Images seems to give the best results.

Anyway, as I said before, I don't want to cause too much work you. So please do only as much as you feel like doing.... :oops:

And Buccaneer1 is used for others than Lafitte too?
Yes, it is. Most importantly it was originally meant for @Bartolomeu o Portugues' "Chico Cois" character.

Now it is also being used as:
- "Jean Lafitte" starting character
- "John Smith", a ransom pirate in the Jack Sparrow storyline (custom Lucas sidequest, if I recall)
- "Plantation Guard" AND "Jean Lafitte" in The Gold-Bug
- "Mutineer" in Woodes Rogers

So indeed only the "Jean Lafitte" ones should get the painting as portrait.

Thanks.
I used it too! Hrmpff...ehhr... yes.

I'll upload what I've got tonight but leave the portraits until the next upload.

3 J P Jones and Lafitte portaits done.

Attachments

• Jean Lafitte.jpg
    Jean Lafitte.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 189
  • JP_Jones_captain.jpg
    JP_Jones_captain.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 343
  • JP_Jones_admiral.jpg
    JP_Jones_admiral.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 288
  • JP_Jones_lieutenant.jpg
    JP_Jones_lieutenant.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 210
3 J P Jones and Lafitte portaits done.
Thanks a lot! I added them to my game now.
Also made sure to get the correct models used for story purposes.
And John Paul Jones also gets his new models upon promotion now. That all seems to be working now. :woot

If you want a bit of a challenge, take a look at what I did to Sharpe. As well as giving him new portraits, I copied some features of his face from pictures of Sean Bean onto Sharpe's model texture. It doesn't look exactly like the original because of the way the texture maps onto the model, but if you do something similar then at least John Paul Jones will look more distinctive than Just Another Captain.

The trick is to find a picture of the character looking close to straight ahead. Bits of that portrait of Admiral Jones could perhaps be transplanted onto his model, for example.

Yeah I know. Have also done that a few times. It would also be nice to make a completely new Lafitte one day.
But now I don't have more time for those guys.

If you want a bit of a challenge, take a look at what I did to Sharpe. As well as giving him new portraits, I copied some features of his face from pictures of Sean Bean onto Sharpe's model texture. It doesn't look exactly like the original because of the way the texture maps onto the model, but if you do something similar then at least John Paul Jones will look more distinctive than Just Another Captain.
I'd definitely welcome any and all of that. But you hardly ever see the face of any player characters. :eek:

One of the free-play choices is currently titled "War of the League of Augsburg". I'd never heard of that and didn't take much interest, and at the moment it has no distinct portrait, just the standard for Jack Sparrow as a French officer, otherwise known as "9JdFra".

But the thread Select Storyline Interface Update? caused me to look at "initModels.c", where I found the entry for that one. It refers to Jean-Baptiste du Casse. So I looked him up on Wikipedia. His portrait there looks like this:
391px-Jean_Baptiste_du_Casse.JPG

Time for a bit of Photoshopping...

One of the free-play choices is currently titled "War of the League of Augsburg". I'd never heard of that and didn't take much interest, and at the moment it has no distinct portrait, just the standard for Jack Sparrow as a French officer, otherwise known as "9JdFra".

But the thread Select Storyline Interface Update? caused me to look at "initModels.c", where I found the entry for that one. It refers to Jean-Baptiste du Casse. So I looked him up on Wikipedia. His portrait there looks like this:
391px-Jean_Baptiste_du_Casse.JPG

I definitely welcome a custom portrait for him too! :cheers

... done.

baptiste_64.jpg
baptiste_128.jpg
baptiste_256.jpg

The zip file contains the .tga.tx versions. They'll need to be renamed to "face_**.tga.tx", copied to their respective folders, and if necessary "pictures.ini" updated for the 128x128 version.

Attachments

• baptiste.zip
    143.8 KB · Views: 196
The zip file contains the .tga.tx versions. They'll need to be renamed to "face_**.tga.tx", copied to their respective folders, and if necessary "pictures.ini" updated for the 128x128 version.
That is just the portraits themselves, right? So the model file and the code all still needs to be copied to support the custom portrait?

Back