• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Included in Build Additional Select Storyline Customization Options

okay, will fix that later then.

Pomptidomtidom.

Here you go @Pieter Boelen
To make it look nice I had to remove the box which showed the start location. But customizing this was disabled everywhere already I believe so that's no real problem I guess.

Guys let me know if you can break it, and what should be the max date you can start? Now its the end date of the last period but I guess we want it to be sooner right?
Nice one! Using the end date of the last period is fine enough. The game won't do weird things if you play on after the last date anyway.
It only gets weird if you START past the last date, because there is nothing defined there.

While the starting location indeed did not serve much purpose, I always thought it was a nice indication.
Do you think you could put that back and have only a single set of Left/Right arrows around the original date display?
You only need to change the year really; because what difference does it make if you start in July or December?
Other than the weather, that is.... :razz

Oh, a new feature? ;)
Are you proposing adding a new feature where the date itself DOES matter?
I don't particularly want to make things more complicated. There is a reason we established the periods system instead of having the time progress gradually.

Of course it would be theoretically possible to pre-program wars to start end, at least for the starting relations.
But there are several things to consider there:
- If this is ONLY for the starting relations, then that is a lot of work for something that in Free Play will be changing soon enough anyway.
- If these relation changes are also used during the game, then that goes against our hopes of creating a living game world.
Because instead of being a part of a world that you can influence in all sorts of ways, you are playing through recorded history.

We could enable that for those players who really want it. But I reckon we have a lot of things to tackle first.
Most notably this to begin with: http://www.piratesahoy.net/threads/...d-privateer-gameplay.24511/page-4#post-500057 :wp

Hmm, no I wouldn't want the relations to change correctly during the playthrough, but it would have been nice if they were generally correct whichever start date you choose (which was quite possible for each storyline before this new-found freedom :razz). Other than that, I was actually poking at the prospect of having the weather influenced by what season you're in - but I don't think it's worth the effort to be honest.

Hmm, no I wouldn't want the relations to change correctly during the playthrough, but it would have been nice if they were generally correct whichever start date you choose (which was quite possible for each storyline before this new-found freedom :razz).
For specific storylines, it always remains possible to override the defaults.
We could for example make a generic Navy Free Play storyline with a whole bunch of custom starting relations programmed into its StartStoryline.c file.
Or just program them in for the "default" starting date and if you get into a different period, have it return to default relations.

Other than that, I was actually poking at the prospect of having the weather influenced by what season you're in - but I don't think it's worth the effort to be honest.
I wasn't actually joking when I mentioned that; there IS more rain and chance of storms in the game during the actual Caribbean rain season.
So that is already done. ;)

I know, I know. The settings are already there for that, we just need to use them. Should be easy enough.
Don't worry mates; we'll sort that out soon enough. :yes

@Levis, what do you think about the below?
While the starting location indeed did not serve much purpose, I always thought it was a nice indication.
Do you think you could put that back and have only a single set of Left/Right arrows around the original date display?
Especially on the Standard storyline it is nice when you see that the location changes depending on your selected starting nation.

Well, you got any suggestions where to put it?

My suggestion would be to only have one set of Left/Right arrows around the original date line that only allow you to change the year.
That takes up less space, so the period name can remain on the same line. Right?

I see no reason why you would want to change the starting day and month anyway.
Even if we must at some point figure out a way to have date-correct starting relations, then getting the year right should still be close enough.
How accurate would we need that? :shrug

I think we do want the date to be selectable to. And I don't know for sure if having only 2 arrows will make enough room. "Colonial powers" is a large word.

moved some things down to get room. The location is back and the date is now locked for the storylines who need it.
I dont know for sure but you might wanna lock nelson's startdate to?

Attachments

• CUSTOM_START_DATE_2.zip
    32.9 KB · Views: 121
Ooh, nice one!

I suppose I got a bit confused on the space available because I use a widescreen resolution.

What you did works better though:
upload_2015-1-21_19-41-37.png

Only comments would be that perhaps some stuff can be moved around a bit more to not be so close together?
For example, I think the Difficulty buttons have space left to go further down.

yeah it has the space, but moving things around is a pain in the *** :p.

For now lets keep it this way. We might want to add more customise options to it when we are working on it so before the final release we will make sure its all alligned nice.
I think the first things to do now is to see what breaks by changing the start date.
After that I think we want to place all free play scenario's together and have the player just decide on a main character? Maybe add the different start quest entries to theire proffession? Or maybe even tie the startchar to the profession?

For now lets keep it this way. We might want to add more customise options to it when we are working on it so before the final release we will make sure its all alligned nice.
Too late; I'm tweaking it already.... :cheeky

I think the first things to do now is to see what breaks by changing the start date.
I don't think anything should break, really.
Some story things may not make sense, though. But other than that, it should work.
Will have to double-check how you wrote it (didn't WinMerge it yet), but if it changes things the way it was intended to, then we should be OK. :doff

After that I think we want to place all free play scenario's together and have the player just decide on a main character? Maybe add the different start quest entries to theire proffession? Or maybe even tie the startchar to the profession?
Absolutely. I'm still not entirely sure what we need to keep.

I wonder how possible it might be to throw ALL Free Play options into the Standard storyline.
After all, that one technically allows the best Free Play since your starting location is nation-dependent.
Then we can have different player types use some different opening scenes. So you wouldn't always be forced to go through that tutorial.

Why not keep the standard storyline but use the brave black flag as that one seems to have a tutorial too and all the sidequests, and work our way from there.

Back