• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Additional Ship Balancing

Pieter Boelen

Navigation Officer
Administrator
Storm Modder
Hearts of Oak Donator
Oberleutnant wrote:
I've been play-testing all my changes and making improvements for awhile after I mentioned it, and never got around to posting it on the forums because of real life distractions. The goal in mind was to make things a little more balanced and to fix all the things that didn't make sense based on actual research that I did. There was also the annoyance of certain ships having radically different stats, but were the same ship etc. All ships of the same type have the same stats and the only difference between them will be the random stat generator based on nationality that is already built in. So stats *will* be different in-game depending on your nation.

Each ships stats will be based on where it sits in the list of ships, the top of the list are the weaker ships of a specific class and the bottom are the best (you will see that with the change in required ship class). I divided every ship into a "class" like "Frigate" or "Brigs" and you will see that on the far left side. Further, ships are seperated into 3 categories: military, merchant, and balanced (which is based on trade/war being true/false in the Ships_init.c file.

Once everything was categorized I started building the stats of each ship from scratch using a few formulas that I came up with myself and also using some that other member's came up with in the forums. While doing this I followed a general guideline that I came up with to make things more balanced in-game. The guideline that I used is at the very bottom.

Once all the stats were made (which, believe it or not, took me almost 2 months to do) I classed each ship. Each ship of the same class, and across categories, should follow the guideline I made to the letter. For instance, if you look at the stats of a class 5 military ship, it should have more hull strength, gun caliber, crew, and cost than class 5 ships in the balanced or merchant category. You will also notice now that in each category is a nice flow of ships from class 8 to class 1. Now if your purpose in the game is to be a merchant, and thats all you want to do, you can feel motivated and rewarded for going up in class all the way to class 1 which has the best merchant ships (which were classed based on cargo size). It was a real bummer to play a merchant in the game and have no logical progression of ships you could go through, let alone the best merchant ships were no higher than class 4 and there was no reason to try and get your skills any higher after that.

The next major undertaking that I did was to change all the names of the ships in the game. There are only a few ships that did not undergo a name change. The new names are to show the differences in stats or categories now. Basicly every different model and every ship with differing stats has a different name. It allows for a better understanding of what your looking at in the shipyard, but also allows you to shop for a new ship based on the name and using this excel file. One good example is the Light Brig, which can be found in both the balanced and military categories. They are different ships because of this and so the military one has "Naval" as a prefix.
See attached for the relevant files, including the code files and an Excel file explaining the work
These code files are slightly modified by me to include Captain Maggee's Vanderdecken buyable steamships fix,
as well as some fixes related to the Unique Ship Cannons not Firing problem.
The first few posts in this thread are also a continuation of discussion from that issue.

ships_init.c goes in PROGRAM\Ships
common.ini goes in RESOURCE\INI\TEXTS\ENGLISH

Right- all new files used, and it looks hopeful now:
I've tried several ships (including the Cursed pearl) from Vanderdecken, and they ALL work... :onya

However, there seem to be less ships in his shipyard now... most notably, the Dauntless and Endeavour aren't there any more...
Is this supposed to happen?

Are you sure they're actually not there?
It could be that their type names changed with the new ships_init.c and common.ini files.
Actually, I'm pretty sure they did...

Are you sure they're actually not there?
Positive. The list of ships is slightly smaller, with the two I mentioned and a couple of others missing. :shrug

EDIT:
Seems they're not 'unique'- were they before?

No, they weren't. But that doesn't trigger their appearance.
HOWEVER, the might've been set to CanBuy = true or CanEncounter = true.
I noticed Oberleutnant did that to the Wicked Wench as well, but I restored that one.
The others I didn't check just yet...

HOWEVER, the might've been set to CanBuy = true or CanEncounter = true.
I noticed Oberleutnant did that to the Wicked Wench as well, but I restored that one.
The others I didn't check just yet...
Yes, that seems to be the case. Do they need changing back to 'false' for both instances, then?

Yep; they'll show up again then. :yes

Edit: Reinit or new game required though. Try reinit first.

Yes, they've returned, (after a reinit) along with the Indefatigable (which I also had to change as it wasn't there either)
There are a few others still missing, but I can't remember which ones...

EDIT:
Ah, I've remembered a couple:
- Dolphin Xebec
- Pirate Fast Galleon

I'll add these back too.

Thanks; please do! If you don't mind, once you're done, could you upload your version of the file?
Then I don't have to do the work again as well. (o)
(I know... Lazy, lazy! :razz )

Will do- once I can confirm it works;
just tried the other two I mentioned- they didn't reappear... :modding

And just WHOSE idea was it to make the 'Indy' a 1st class ship??

Oberleutnant wrote:
Each ship of the same class, and across categories, should follow the guideline I made to the letter. For instance, if you look at the stats of a class 5 military ship, it should have more hull strength, gun caliber, crew, and cost than class 5 ships in the balanced or merchant category. You will also notice now that in each category is a nice flow of ships from class 8 to class 1. Now if your purpose in the game is to be a merchant, and thats all you want to do, you can feel motivated and rewarded for going up in class all the way to class 1 which has the best merchant ships (which were classed based on cargo size). It was a real bummer to play a merchant in the game and have no logical progression of ships you could go through, let alone the best merchant ships were no higher than class 4 and there was no reason to try and get your skills any higher after that.
I see, though, that the Indefatigable became both a war AND merchant vessel with the new ships_init.c file.
So probably Oberleutnant considered her to be a class 1 trading vessel, while she should be a class 3(?) warship.
I do think there's a lot of value to Oberleutnant's work, but it needs some checking and further work still.
So all your comments on this would be most welcome! :woot

Class 3 sounds about right- I'll change it to that for now.
I'll keep an eye out for anything else which looks out of place, bearing in mind the new system Oberleutnant has used.

Thanks very much. If you don't agree with the classification of a ship,
it's probably best to restore it to whatever it was in the Build 14 Beta 1 Full copy of the file.
See attached.

No problem! Anything to help in the development of this incredible build mod! :woot

Thanks very much. You'll be promoted to "Modder" in no-time this way! :woot

Note that this discussion is now split off into it's own new thread.
The opening post was amended with the code files, the Excel file and an explanation from Oberleutnant on his work.

Right, here's the latest ships_init file, with the correct ships appearing for Vanderdecken...

Or it WOULD be if I could upload more than 500K total (ships_init is 700K) :modding

Right, here's the latest ships_init file, with the correct ships appearing for Vanderdecken...
Or it WOULD be if I could upload more than 500K total (ships_init is 700K) :modding
I just promoted you to "Modder", which gives you a lot more attachment space (10 MB, if I recall).
If you try again, it should now work. :doff

Right, HERE'S the new ships_init file!

(EDIT: file outdated; removed to save upload quota)

PS: A promotion?! I feel honoured! :bow

Can I try these new ship stats with a savegame or do I have to start a new game?
But what happens with the ships, which I already have?

Back