• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Additional Ship Balancing

A Reinit (F11) should be enough for the changes to take effect.
The ships you already have keep their stats.

I've just noticed another strange classification... the Cursed Pearl is class 5, whereas all the other variants (classed as English Heavy War Galleons) are class 3, which is higher than the Dutchman variants, which are class 4.
I noticed Oberleutnant classed the EHWG as a 'balanced' ship, for trade and military use, so that's probably why.

Here's a suggestion:
Would it be possible to group the ships in the shipyard interface into their 'subgroups' according to Oberleutnant's changes (i.e. Military, Merchant and Balanced)?
That way the classes would make more sense. Just an idea. :cheeky

The classes are based on the real class system, by the ammount of cannons on each ship :yes

The Pearls should ALL be 5

As per the opening post, Oberleutnant changed the class system for merchant ships so there's also class 1 merchant ships.
These are, of course, not equal to class 1 navy ships. But indeed all Pearls should get the same classification.
I already renamed the Black Pearls from being "Heavy war galleons" to "Fast galleons; let's fix their class also. :yes

I agree, 'Fast Galleon' makes more sense. But how do you change what the ship type is displayed as in the shipyard interface?
I'll change them all to class 5 too (makes more sense; the Pearl is NOT in the same league as a 3rd Rate!)

Still wondering though, WOULD it be possible to create subgroups for the shipyards, to make it clearer which type of ship you are buying?

I made the type name change and class change in my Patch 2 file:
http://forum.piratesahoy.net//topic/16164-build-14-beta-1-patch-2/

The refShip.Sname refers to the type name in RESOURCE\INI\TEXTS\ENGLISH\common.ini.
These texts are supposed to also indicate the type of ship that you're buying.
The exact model (colour scheme) is not really indicated anywhere,
though you should be able to select your preferred one afterwards in the Shipyard Repaint interface.

The refShip.Sname refers to the type name in RESOURCE\INI\TEXTS\ENGLISH\common.ini.
These texts are supposed to also indicate the type of ship that you're buying.
The exact model (colour scheme) is not really indicated anywhere,
though you should be able to select your preferred one afterwards in the Shipyard Repaint interface.
OK, perhaps I haven't been quite clear enough. :modding

My suggestion is that we could potentially group all the ships into their classifications as per the 'new' (Oberleutnant's) system.
By this I mean you would have three choices in the shipyard interface, in the 'Repair' menu:

'Military' (or 'Navy'), 'Merchant' and 'Balanced' (or another word to represent both Navy and Merchant capabilities)

I'm trying to say that this would make the new class system MUCH clearer for most users.
For example, it would explain why a Heavy East Indiaman, a Manila Galleon, and a 100-gun 1st Rate are all class 1 ships.
In the same menu, they would look confusing, as at the moment there is no easy way to distinguish between Navy and Merchant ships unless you KNOW the ships!
Anyone else have a similar view? :shrug

P.S. I'll download Patch 2 ASAP (damn, another new game needed!) Thanks for the credit, by the way! :cheers )

I understand what you mean with your idea, but I'm not quite sure how to handle that in a simple way... :?

I understand what you mean with your idea,
OK, I was just checking, since nobody had commented on it :onya

but I'm not quite sure how to handle that in a simple way... :?
Yes, that's what I was worried about. But IS it something worth considering? And if so, would ANYONE be capable of finding a way to do it?
I'm not exactly an expert programmer meself! (but I am trying to pick up C++)

Anyway, if not, no worries, it was only an idea. ;)

I reckon it IS possible; it's probably not too easy to do though.
Although I'm better at coding than I was, I'm still learning in many ways.
Especially interfaces is something that I'm not at all comfortable with;
Pirate_KK is the only currently active Modder who is, but he's got a lot on his plate as it is. :eek:ops2

Ah, I see. Well, I wouldn't want to overload the guy- perhaps this should be added to a 'To do' list for another day, then (IF it seems worth it). :shrug

perhaps this should be added to a 'To do' list for another day, then (IF it seems worth it). :shrug
Perhaps not; I have a better (i.e. SIMPLER) idea! ;)
What if, instead of changing the shipyard interface, we just added a tag to the end of the ships' in-game names, which determines its class?
For example, if M= Merchant, N= Navy, and B= Balanced, the following examples would be displayed as:

Trade Brig (M), Naval Brig (N) and Light Brig (B)

I know some of these are fairly obviously in specific classes anyway, but that's not the case for all the ships.
However, most of the navy ships are VERY obvious, so perhaps they don't even need this 'tag'- only merchant and balanced do?

Either way, since this should only require editing the ships' in-game names, it's much easier than changing the interface! :cheeky
Although I guess we would need to mention this in the manual, to make sure the player knows what the 'tags' mean.

I was thinking we could put it as a note like the "Cannot buy" ones we've already got.
That would be do-able.

I noticed that the "FR_BattleFrigate" became a class 1 ship, which strikes me as really weird. :wacko:

I was thinking we could put it as a note like the "Cannot buy" ones we've already got.
That would be do-able.
That's good to know- the easier, the better! xD:

I noticed that the "FR_BattleFrigate" became a class 1 ship, which strikes me as really weird. :wacko:
Yes, I've been thinking about that.
In fact, I have been looking at the Navy ships in Oberleutnant's excel file, and have been making some 'slight' adjustments to fit the REAL rating system used in the Napoleonic Wars by the Royal Navy.
I found the system here, which clearly groups the ships based on guns.
If you like, I can upload it once I have finished so you can have a look at it (to me, it makes a lot more sense ;) )

Note that I haven't YET made any changes to the game code- I'm only brainstorming, here! :hmm

OK I've pretty much finished changes to the excel file-
I made a copy of the original table and inserted it into the second sheet, which I then edited.
This way you can easily switch between versions to see the differences.

I will upload the finished ships_init file once completed, although a couple of things still look out-of-place:
- Changes to the Wicked Wench now make it look odd in Oberleutnant's class system
- The HMS Interceptor is called a 'Sloop of war' in the original file, which looks silly in the new Navy rating system, as 'Sloop-of-war' is a group name (which DOESN'T contain the Interceptor), and I'm pretty sure she shouldn't be called that anyway. Any better in-game name suggestions?
- I'm unsure about the previously named '40/44-Gun 4th Rates (which I have categorised as '5th Rates')- does the name fit, or is there a better one?

If anyone notices anything else out-of-place, please let me know. :keith

(EDIT: outdated file removed)

Here's the new ships_init file which contains the class adjustments mentioned in the excel file:

(EDIT: outdated file removed)

I won't include the common.ini file until the names I mentioned earlier are sorted out.

The Wicked Wench is technically a trading vessel, but the Black Pearls are warships; that's what you mean, right?
I'm not quite sure how to tackle that in a sensible way; the stats of either should be pretty much the same,
but the Black Pearl can't be a trade vessel, can it?

Technically, the Flying Dutchman was designed after the Dutch fleut, which ALSO is a merchant ship.
Therefore technically, her type name should be "Cursed/Ghost Fleut". But that doesn't sound very imposing. :facepalm

The Interceptor should be something brig-like, I reckon...

Back