• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Fixed After Town Capture: Frequent CTDs upon plundering store

I have been known to screw things up before.

And unfortunately I am at it again! The "fix" does stop the crashes (I don't know what the images are it was changing English or Polish around) but the ransack screen makes you pay for the goods which is not as advertised. However I can't see I have changed anything in store.c to alter whatever happened before. Do I remember @Pieter Boelen saying there were other instances of the but/sell code for other than store purposes or was that just Autobuy??

Sorry above post should be in the CTD town thread (as should this one but I though best to keep them together) however panic over the 3.4 version with @Grey Roger 's saved game does loot properly - so I guess my homespun "crash" did not set up the other parameters requisite for a free supermarket run in the local store. So still needs testing but hopefully OK now.

Moved your posts to the right topic

And unfortunately I am at it again! The "fix" does stop the crashes (I don't know what the images are it was changing English or Polish around) but the ransack screen makes you pay for the goods which is not as advertised. However I can't see I have changed anything in store.c to alter whatever happened before. Do I remember @Pieter Boelen saying there were other instances of the but/sell code for other than store purposes or was that just Autobuy??
I don't remember saying anything like that, except about the Auto Buy code. So that was probably it.
Not sure if looting the store was ever an intentional feature, but it looks like it was. Not sure if it ever worked right though.

Looting the store certainly used to work, apart from the crashes. It was only for the day of the raid. You could loot the shipyard, too. I went into St. Pierre, grabbed a couple of merchant ships from the shipyard, stuffed them with gold from the store (and grabbed as much as I could into my own ship as well), then went to a house and offered my services as bodyguard for the night. Next day everything was back to normal so I sold the gold back to the store and then sold the ships back to the shipyard. Add all that to the ransom from the governor and this was a very lucrative visit. xD

Looting the store certainly used to work, apart from the crashes. It was only for the day of the raid. You could loot the shipyard, too. I went into St. Pierre, grabbed a couple of merchant ships from the shipyard, stuffed them with gold from the store (and grabbed as much as I could into my own ship as well), then went to a house and offered my services as bodyguard for the night. Next day everything was back to normal so I sold the gold back to the store and then sold the ships back to the shipyard. Add all that to the ransom from the governor and this was a very lucrative visit. xD
YIKES! That does sound potentially not-so-awesome from a gameba;ancing point of view.
Of course I can understand that you can take whatever you want when you're ransacking a town.
But perhaps there should be a disadvantage to doing it? For example, at the very least not being able to resell it in the town you just looted.
I assume this was a hostile town after your actions, so perhaps there should be a check that yes, they DO recognize your false flag after what you did and they don't want to deal with you now.
On the other hand.... perhaps they wouldn't mind getting their stuff back. :facepalm

But how about one helluva reputation drop?

One possible counter would be to have the town only return to normal after you've left the island entirely.

The raid made absolutely no difference to my relations with the town. France already hated me, which is normal for most games. The only reason I was able to sell anything to the store is that I was Hero status, which gets you into any store any time. The only reason I needed a false flag is because the fort also returned to normal and if I'd left under my normal flag, it would have started shooting again, I'd have had to demolish it again, then I'd have had to loot the place again, and it would get boring.

But if the town and fort don't return to normal the next day then you can't sell stuff back to the store and the fort doesn't go from flattened to fully operational overnight. I hit the place, load up as much loot as possible, maybe stay the night to use up some planks and sailcloth repairing damage, then go away still flying a British flag and the fort can't object because it's still wrecked.

The Store Interface should no longer crash the game upon looting as per this update: http://www.piratesahoy.net/threads/build-14-beta-3-5-internal-wip-for-testing.24817/

However, I think the "looting for free" also doesn't work anymore. That is to be fixed at a later stage.
It seemed to work ion thje saved game instance in 3.4 and I think my "homemade" crash in the store interface for 3.5 did not set up the other parameters such as ctown.captured so I am fairly confident it will still work to give free looting as described by @Grey Roger in the current version.

As outlined elsewhere I don't think that stopping up all the lucrative plays is a good way forward for a) player co-operation in reporting real problems b) maintaining perceived "balance" - unless actual complaints about the ease of play reference them. I think I agree the way forward with town capture is to restore the situation on leaving the island - (of course you could still turn round to port again) - shame there is no simple way to mark the goods as stolen so you limit the places they can be offloaded to say - smugglers and pirates (at reduced rates). I'm not sure where the town/store suddenly get money from to buy stuff back because during ransack they have zero money - and obviously the first target of looters is portable wealth = cash + jewels etc.

Back