• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Medium Priority What happens when capturing a town

This applies only to plundering a town, as capturing or giving it to another nation bypasses all this.

At the very least, you'll get the town gold through the governor dialog which can be quite a considerable sum.
Sometimes excessively so.

Other things are the ability to Plunder the store and shipyard after leaving the residence.
Should that be possible at all and how to prevent this becoming too lucrative?

You've just taken on the fort. The result should be lucrative. Otherwise why bother?

You've just taken on the fort. The garrison is in no position to prevent you from doing whatever you like. You can help yourself to anything in the colony, including the colony itself. So yes, you should be able to plunder the store and shipyard, at the very least.

Plundering the store I agree with. But plundering the shipyard I'd say you should have maybe 1 nice ship or so.
I'd say we make it so just the highest ship (present in this shipyard) is avaible when plundering.

Who said anything about nice ships? ;) Most of the time, the shipyard just has small stuff like luggers and barques anyway. I just steal those so I can get more loot out of the store. :rpirate But if there does happen to be something better in stock then you ought to be able to help yourself to that too - it's not as though there's anyone who can stop you. The usual rule about not being able to get a warship unless you're high enough rank in the shipyard's nation ought to prevent you from getting anything too overpowered - the ship's own crew and marines would stop your looters.

So ships above a certain rank shouldn't be able to get looted from the shipyard cause they are more protected etc. I can agree with that.
Same goes for navy ships.
So maybe allow you to only take 1 ship? I should be able to program that fairly easy.

We should also make sure the code distinguishes properly between a town you're looting or one that belongs to you.
At the moment at least I am being confused by that and I think the code might be too.

So the thinking is then that:
- When you're plundering: Store and shipyard can be plunder for free because there is nobody to stop you
- When the town is yours: Maybe a reduction in price, but NOT zero

Town to only return to "normal" state after you went away from the island/onto the worldmap.

So ships above a certain rank shouldn't be able to get looted from the shipyard cause they are more protected etc. I can agree with that.
Same goes for navy ships.
So maybe allow you to only take 1 ship? I should be able to program that fairly easy.
I think @Grey Roger is suggesting that the same limitations apply as are currently the case.
So you can't get navy ships and you can't get too-large ships for your rank, but you can take whatever amount of small size ships you want.

I could relatively easy add a "used" attribute to ships. So if you sell a ship to the shipyard it gets that and some get it at random when generated. If they have it they can have upgrades.
If we do that you could only take those kind of ships cause they are done. Other ships first need to be made. We could even change that when buying. If you buy a new ship it takes more time or you should even wait an X amount of time before you can get it (not that hard to make).

When the town is yours I'd say at least your commerce skills etc shouldn't matter anymore (same as with professional navy in the home town) and you should have an extra X percent of discount.

So the thinking is then that:
- When you're plundering: Store and shipyard can be plunder for free because there is nobody to stop you
- When the town is yours: Maybe a reduction in price, but NOT zero
I'm not even sure that there needs to be a price reduction when the town is yours. (In fact, I don't want a price reduction because that would affect the sale of goods as well, e.g. all the loot I've just brought in on a captured merchant ship. :rpirate) Maybe a slight boost to your Commerce skill so that you get slightly lower buying prices and slightly higher selling prices, but the store and shipyard still need to make their money and aren't going to bankrupt themselves just to please the new management. Don't forget that you also get regular free money from towns you own in the form of taxes, so there's no real need to make them give you even more free money in the form of trade discounts. Otherwise for the next next update, there's probably going to be a discussion about how player-owned colonies are now too lucrative and need to be balanced. xD

I think @Grey Roger is suggesting that the same limitations apply as are currently the case.
So you can't get navy ships and you can't get too-large ships for your rank, but you can take whatever amount of small size ships you want.
Exactly. :onya

I'm not even sure that there needs to be a price reduction when the town is yours. (In fact, I don't want a price reduction because that would affect the sale of goods as well, e.g. all the loot I've just brought in on a captured merchant ship. :rpirate) Maybe a slight boost to your Commerce skill so that you get slightly lower buying prices and slightly higher selling prices, but the store and shipyard still need to make their money and aren't going to bankrupt themselves just to please the new management. Don't forget that you also get regular free money from towns you own in the form of taxes, so there's no real need to make them give you even more free money in the form of trade discounts. Otherwise for the next next update, there's probably going to be a discussion about how player-owned colonies are now too lucrative and need to be balanced. xD
Might as well keep that as-is too. Then we would only need special cases for when you're plundering and make sure that doesn't apply when the town is yours OR is occupied (Speighstown by France in the Standard Storyline).
So....:
- Plundering: Everything free, no other changes
- Town is yours: Business as usual, no changes from current state
- Town is occupied: No business at all

Does that sound about right? :wp

I could relatively easy add a "used" attribute to ships. So if you sell a ship to the shipyard it gets that and some get it at random when generated. If they have it they can have upgrades.
If we do that you could only take those kind of ships cause they are done. Other ships first need to be made. We could even change that when buying. If you buy a new ship it takes more time or you should even wait an X amount of time before you can get it (not that hard to make).
You're making me think of another idea I've had that I should probably post.... But that is better left for Build 15, I reckon.

For now, I always assume that all the ships at the shipyard ARE already built and ready to go. For new-build ships, you should be able to specify exactly what you want to get.
And that gets us into all sorts of extra difficulties. Better keep it simple for the time being.... :oops:

About the problem concerning staying there one night and then selling stuff back. I think plundering the town should trigger a quest which has a expiration date somewhere between (say 1 and 2 months) which sets an attribute that toggles the nation you just plundered won't trade with you. We could just put your relation to the lowest possible so they wont deal with you at all. When the time is over this is restored or at least made less.... or something like that.

It should suffice to have the town remain plundered and inactive for a bit longer than it does now, no?

Can someone have a quick read through and check if I have missed anything important. :checklist
"Level 3 ship" is technically "Tier 3 ship". We've got too many different numbers to keep track of!
Who here knows the difference between: Rank, Level, Tier, Class, Reputation and Fame? :rofl

"Ransom the Colony – can also loot the store and Shipyard – get goods and ships for free."
^ I think that there isn't entirely consistent yet. If I recall, we changed it so that you CAN'T get those ships for free when looting, didn't we?

"Level 3 ship" is technically "Tier 3 ship". We've got too many different numbers to keep track of!

Thanks - changed :onya

"Ransom the Colony – can also loot the store and Shipyard – get goods and ships for free."
^ I think that there isn't entirely consistent yet. If I recall, we changed it so that you CAN'T get those ships for free when looting, didn't we?

Tried this recently - Beta 4 - last update in August I think - all ships in shipyard were priced at 0.00 -- this is what is is being aimed for eventually isn't it ?

Who here knows the difference between: Rank, Level, Tier, Class, Reputation and Fame? :rofl

I do - I think:unsure

Rank - Naval or Privateer Rank with Nation you serve - shown on F2 Character screen top & F2 Relations Screen
Level - Level you have reached in the game - Big Number on your Portrait on F2 Character screen
Tier & Class - size and power of ship - 8 = smallest -- 1 = Largest & most powerful
Reputation - ranges from really Bad Person to really good Person - shown on F2 character screen underneath your name.
Fame - how well known you are ( how easily your enemies will recognise you) - more well known = more easily recognised - shown on F2 relations screen at bottom

:p

If I am wrong please let me know

EDIT When writing this I almost got Fame & reputation mixed up :rofl

:drunk

Last edited:
Rank - Naval or Privateer Rank with Nation you serve - shown on F2 Character screen top & F2 Relations Screen
Level - Level you have reached in the game - Big Number on your Portrait on F2 Character screen
Tier & Class - size and power of ship - 8 = smallest -- 1 = Largest & most powerful
Reputation - ranges from really Bad Person to really good Person - shown on F2 character screen underneath your name.
Fame - how well known you are ( how easily your enemies will recognise you) - more well known = more easily recognised - shown on F2 relations screen at bottom

:p

If I am wrong please let me know
You are quite correct. :onya

EDIT When writing this I almost got Fame & reputation mixed up :rofl
That was my point; it gets confusing quite quickly. ESPECIALLY when going through the code, where often level and rank are used interchangeably. :facepalm

sorry Levis i don't know if i should request this here but anyway this is a request from me for maybe feature work
---diplomacy and nation naming
-when you conquer a town you get the option to name it and then you became a nation your own how about another option for naming your nation
-relations between nations change over time how about making an option to request alliance peace from other nation maybe by sending one of your officer for a week or more in game for him to get you that nations answer ?? that would look cool
---i know i said that before but maybe a feature where a nation can retake a conquered town from you or from other nations ...ext that would make it amazing
-- and would make the feature of leaving your ships in towns or ports more useful like for protecting your town
--maybe you get a notification about a fleet is going to attack your town it will arrive at.....(date).... hurry back to your town before that and protect it and you will fight that fleet with your defending fleet that would look cool

and again i know this is too much but Levis you said bring it on and please tell me where i should make this kind of requests i don't know where should post and i don't wanna make a new thread for it sorry about that thanks

Moved the post here.
a lot of this sounds interesting but is a lot of work, and I believe most of it was sugested before already. Do you know where @Pieter Boelen ?

Back