• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Anyone know where the animation files are defined?

jacksonhardaker

Landlubber
I've just been playing round with some of the source files, so that I could get a female character working, the only problem is that I'm doing it in an inefficient way and it screws up the animations of all the other people.

So I was wondering if there is a text file which says to use which animation files for people. I know it can't be stored in the model file itself otherwise it would be fine when you change to a female character.

Any ideas?

Ahoy JacksonHardaker - I think the animation files are universal for sex, for women, there is only one animation file and two types - Here's the file tree where you can find them:

PotC/Resource/animation/

There you will find "woman.an" and "woman.ani" There is also "towngirl.an", which uses the woman ani file, I would imagine since there is not a separate "towngirl.an"

Also, the deeper you go into this folder (heads/an) there are specific files for specific characters (such as Danielle). These are for animating the portraits you see when you talk to someone. You will see once you start looking...

Hope this helps, and GOOD LUCK!!! Let us know how you do! :cheers :rolleyes:

Yeah I found them before.

What I did was find the Danielle model and rename a copy of it to blaze.gm (so that the main character would look like her) then I also made copys of the women.an and .ani and renamed them to the men.an/ani . This of course messed up the animations of all the men in the game but it made all the animations look find with the main character.

I thought that there might be a file which says that the main character uses the man.an/ani etc and that if that was the case it would be as simple as changing the reference there.

That was the file I was looking for but I don't even know if there is one.

Ah, I'm sorry, I misunderstood! :yes

You have to look in the character files for that - let me see...

You will find these in the POTC/PROGRAM/Characters folder -

Nathaniel is in characters_init.c at or around line 66

Danielle is in POTC/PROGRAM/Characters/init/ officers.c right at the top of the file.

One line you will be looking for is

ch.sex = "woman"; (or "man" if it's Nathaniel)

That speaks to one of the an or ani files.

I also understand that this may be a factor you should at least look at (I am not a coder here, only a nominal experimenter and stumbler `upon-er`, LOL!)... And it's near or at line 243 (I might have a different version of the game than yours) of characters_init.c -

Code:
	for(n=0; n<TOTAL_CHARACTERS; n++)

{

ref rCharacter = GetCharacter(n);

if(rCharacter.sex == "man")

{

rCharacter.model.animation = "man";

rCharacter.model.height = 1.8;

}else{

rCharacter.model.animation = "towngirl";

rCharacter.model.height = 1.75;

}
Check the height attribute as I think otherwise your model MAY look REALLY WEIRD (long `crazy-looking` arms)...

There are "real" coders that pop in here every once in a while - everyone's pretty busy trying to get the new Build released, so their time is golden right now... You might ask Grumblepunk - he's been experimenting with this too - but I have to tell you, I think there have been a lot of coders treading the same path you are - and no one seems to have found a solution yet (at least not that I know of, anyhow) - I don't know your experience coding, but if you can figure out how to get this done (and I hope you do!), I think everyone here would be mighty impressed! :cheers

Heh, hope that made sense... If you'd told me back in January of this year that I'd be doing this kind of thing now, I'd have laughed at the notion. <shrug> It's been a learning experience, to say the least! :p3

Cool thanks for that. That looks like what I wanted, I just had no idea where to find it. I'll keep looking and see if I can come up with something. :yes:

What are you using to edit your code? I use "UltraEdit" - which has a GREAT search feature - it will search globally - so if you're looking for things that have to do with Danielle, you can ask it to search for "Danielle" and it will scan the files you indicate (including subfolders) and give you a written report on files that contain the name... GREAT for finding stuff like what I found for you - I've edited these files before, too (I am making a side quest), so I knew what I was looking for...

Glad I was able to help! Good luck, and I hope you figure it out! :yes :p3

Is there any need to `re-initalize` the information from the program files of POTC? Because when I'm playing round with some options in them I'm noticing no difference.

I just wanted to check so that I know that its my fault that its not different, rather than because the information hasn't been updated... :p3

Edit:
Hi Vassal, I just saw your post just after I posted mine. :yes:

Yeah, but I'm not using it at the moment. I wanted to test out all my stuff without the complications of a big thing like that confusing me. :yes

Edit:
Anyone have any idea why the forums say that I joined on the 1st of Jan 1970?

<!--`QuoteBegin-jacksonhardaker`+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jacksonhardaker)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Yeah, but I'm not using it at the moment. I wanted to test out all my stuff without the complications of a big thing like that confusing me. :p3

Edit:
Anyone have any idea why the forums say that I joined on the 1st of Jan 1970?[/quote]

It be a problem when de forum changed over,ye can PM Keith an he can change it fer ya tew de coorect date :yes:

<!--`QuoteBegin-jacksonhardaker`+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jacksonhardaker)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Is there any need to `re-initalize` the information from the program files of POTC? Because when I'm playing round with some options in them I'm noticing no difference.[/quote]With some things it makes no difference, but it's probably a good idea - you might not notice a difference immediately, but down the road it may bite ya...

BTW, the Build WILL fix any weird problems that the original version of PotC had - and I suggest updating before you go much further simply because it will make the game more stable.

UltraEdit - http://www.ultraedit.com/ It's a free download and a free `45-day` trial - not very expensive to buy, either. The search feature alone is worth every penny you pay for it. EXCELLENT code editor/hex editor. I also use it to edit html when I just need to make some quick changes. Wouldn't be without it. :cheers

hey mate, i just have a bit o problem wit something. its sooo hard for me to say this, cuz i dont want to be mean at all cuz i know you mean no harm. but it seems like 3 quarters of ye posts are spam, its just no words and all. when you post, could you please try to makes it mean something, or agreeing with someone, not just saying hi and all? i know you just wanna say hi to all ye's here, but you also post in EVERY forum and post! i used to do that, and i sort of still do a bit hehe...but if ye gonna post in every forum and post, make it worth saying please! p.s., please, i mean no harm mate! just tryin to keep spam to a minimum! :D :cheers:

So I've been playing round with this line here of the characters_init.c file and I'm sure I've done something wrong. But anyways I tried to change the character model to the danielle on and it doesn't do anything.

What I've done is this:

----------------------------------
makeref(ch,Characters[0]); //Blaze Devlin
//ch.perks.list.InstantBoarding = true;
ch.name = "Nathaniel";
ch.lastname = "Hawk";
ch.id = "Blaze";
ch.nation = ENGLAND;
ch.model = "danielle"; // NK
ch.activity_begin = "0";
ch.activity_end = "24";

------------------------------------
the part in red is the part I changed. I just changed it from saying animists2 (the blaze model for the build).

I'm assuming that there is something else I have to change somewhere but I don't know where.

Any help? :cheers

hey mate, maybe you should change the ch.id to danielle's ch.id TOO! cuz i remember when i wanted to get a new person to play BEFORE i found this fine crew and fine mods, it worked that way! try that mate!

<!--`QuoteBegin-jacksonhardaker`+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jacksonhardaker)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I'm assuming that there is something else I have to change somewhere but I don't know where.[/quote]

CaptJack is right, and also you need to know this - your character in the middle of the game will NOT look like Danielle from this change.

I know that sounds weird, but the way you change this AFTER you've changed the character file is to start a new game because THAT is how you wake up in your cabin initially. (remember the red robe you change out of? That is the Animist skin) Once you wake up and Malcolm asks you what you want to wear, you can just say, "What I am wearing now" (or whatever that dialog happens to be)

You will also have to change this:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
ch.name = "Nathaniel"; <-- you can change this name too
ch.lastname = "Hawk";<-- you can change this name too
ch.id = "Danielle";
ch.nation = ENGLAND;
ch.model = "Danielle"; // NK
ch.activity_begin = "0";
ch.activity_end = "24";
ch.sex = "woman";
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I think that will do it. Let us know how it goes!

(BTW, who is it in your avatar, playing the piano? I can't make it out)

Back