• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Anyone thought about cats

The cat so far is a non quest item which in theory works like the rat totem, just a lot easier to find and slightly cheaper.

Problem is it's not working like it should. So far I got it to show up in stores, a custom picture and a full description of the item, the only thing missing there is that it doesn't function like the rat totem eventhough the code in the file is nearly identical to the rat totem.

The problem has me stumpped. Furthermore, I don't really know how any of the totems/crystal skulls get their properties from. Unless it's hardcoded or in some file I've yet to discover, atm it seems like the cat might end up being one of those useless items you find like a shoe or a mug.

Cats would be a great addition to the game. My character would be willing to pay 1000 or more to get one before I set sail for the first time.

Right now I am using the no rats no food dev mode edit because I hate the rats eating my valuable cargo. I usually dont go for the quest ships that give the rat totems right away so the rats become too annoying. The downside of using this edit is that I dont have to feed my crew which seems kind of like cheating.

Idealy, there would be an item like cats or rat totems available right from the start. Also since I would be using food again to find a way to remove food as contraband and even add it as an export from more ports.

Edit: btw, Officerpuppy, do you play a game called Imperial Glory? I recently bought the game and when going through the eidos forums and the fansite forums I see a poster with your same name.

Edit: btw, Officerpuppy, do you play a game called Imperial Glory? I recently bought the game and when going through the eidos forums and the fansite forums I see a poster with your same name.

Yes I am. I've modded for many games over the years, I usually go by that name or Mailman653. :doff

Mates, I like where this is going and I think your on to something good here Officerpuppy ole boy. :onya I like your description BTW ;)

I want to add a couple of items worthy of thought based on comments others made earlier in the thread concerning the "why bother" with cats when you can get the rat totem anyway paradigm.

1) I say to critics that hopefully we'll add more to this over time as we learn and can weave it into quests etc., so it is something we should not only try to do, but do well.

2) I think we need to figure out how to wittle down the effectiveness of a single cat so it's not equal to the rat totem. Example: I go into port and one of the seller stands has 1 cat and another has 2, howver that's all thats available until I go to the next port. If I want to have the rat killing capability of the rat totem, especially on a really big ship, I may need 10 or 15 cats to equal rat totem equivalency. So if I have a couple cats on board it will cut down on the rats destroying things both in terms of frequency (maybe its every other or every three days the message pops up) and in terms of the amounts of the cargo the rats destroy. If we could figure that out, it would make the cats both relevant and not as convienent or as effective as the rat totem you get on the quests still making it a valuable item to have.

Thoughts???

BTW, I love Imperial Glory. I only stopped playing it when Empire Total War came out.

MK

I like the idea of having multiple cats to kill the rats. For me any rats at all would be annoying, but if the rat attack frequency is lowered it is something I could live with.

OFF TOPIC:
Its good to see that you guys have played Imperial Glory. I have added some modds and now I think it is one of the greatest strategy games that I have ever played. Imperial Glory has one of the best AI's that I have ever seen. If a game developer would take the battles from Empire Total War, and combine it with the strategic depth, and artificial intelligence of Imperial Glory, then that would make a great game!!!

I was very disappointed with Empire Total War, and haven't touched the game since patch 1.5 was released. Do you know if CA released the modding tools or other patches for the game yet?

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack the thread. I'll maybe start a gaming topic in the general discussion boards. Back to rats, lol.

Search the PROGRAM folder for the ID of the rat totem.
Good chance there's some code there that checks:
"If you have *rat totem ID*, skip rat code*"
That's where you'd need to add the cat item ID.

There's NO such reference? At all? :shock

I've gone through all the files which could be associated with items, I haven't found anything like that. :modding

Had the cat been a sword, I might have an easier time since the stats for swords are in the same file as ini item file.

I'll post the current version of the cat mod later today. You'll have to start a new game for it the show up in the stores, but an easier way of getting it is by cheating and giving yourself the item.

Although since the item does not work as its intended, I highly suggest the latter method.

There's NO such reference? At all? :shock
There's plenty of references to it, but all of them are item placements or scripts that give the item to the player and such.

I don't suppose it would be possible to simply give the cat the same item ID as the rat god?

I love that idea!!! :will That would be awesome. Adding to my wishlist.

You know now that I think about it, whatever happened to all the tropical birds that were in AOP that you would see fly overhead when you were on trails. I've seen butterflies in COAS, but not birds and I know there's a bird file.

MK

Back