• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

AOP2 combined mod vs. POTC build mod, witch one?

keli

Landlubber
I haven't decided yet witch mod I want to play so can someone please tell me the pros and cons of those 2 mods?

:gday

This link can take you to 2 threads on this subject.

http://forum.piratesahoy.net/index.php/topic/16705-should-i-play-potc-or-coas/

If I could just pitch in, while I also think you should play both one of the main draws of POTC over any other age of sail game is directsail.

The paradigm shift that occurs with the ability to sail between islands without ever entering the map cannot be overstated. What makes this worse is that in almost all games that cover this period, 'map' mode cuts out wind as a factor altogether - THE most crucial aspect of naval combat for near 500 years. Tactical situations evolve in so many more ways than 'you encounter XYZ who have been placed at X distance from you' when wind and identification of ships on the horizon are factors, and the choice of ship really, really matters.

I was really excited with early dev diaries from Pirates of the Burning Seas which talked about how this would be incorporated in that MMO, and was very dissapointed when it was scrapped. That means that POTC is the only game in my books to do what i consider an absolutely essential aspect of any naval simulation. Ironically, the only other game I know of to even include wind on the 'map' mode is the otherwise arcadey Sid Meier's Pirates!

Ironically, the only other game I know of to even include wind on the 'map' mode is the otherwise arcadey Sid Meier's Pirates!

CoAS includes wind in the map mode :yes

:sail

Thats good to hear!

But - does the map mode reflect the relative speeds of the ships, or are all ships equal in speed like POTC's map mode?

Pirates! at least had wind and frigates that outran galleons on the map mode. POTC build mod's direct sail mode goes a step further, with the entire tactical situation evolving based on what ships are being used and where they are coming from.

By comparison, even if wind is present on the map mode in COAS, its still far from all that should be represented to make it authentic.

Yes, I believe that your ship type and condition does affect its speed in the world map, but not much at all.

Back