• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

AOP2 on a Windows 8 laptop

Pirate Mick

Landlubber
Has anyone loaded AOP-COAS on a machine with a Windows 8 operating system? I got a new laptop with Windows 8 on it. It runs CIV 5 and CIV 5 Gods & Kings without a hiccup. With the finicky nature of AOP-COAS, I have hesitated trying because I don't want to trash the machine. I love the graphics I'm getting with CIV, and would like to try AOP-COAS. Any help would be appreciated.

Pirate Mick,
The gimpy pirate!

The game itself should run fine. The question is how much trouble Windows Security Stupidity will give you when trying to make saves or install mods.
Recommend installing outside Program Files at the very least.

For the record, it runs fine on my Windows 8 laptop. If yours can run CIV 5 without issues, it should be happy with CoAS.
What are your specs, out of interest?

The game itself should run fine. The question is how much trouble Windows Security Stupidity will give you when trying to make saves or install mods.

For the record, it runs fine on my Windows 8 laptop. If yours can run CIV 5 without issues, it should be happy with CoAS.
What are your specs, out of interest?

Thanks, Pieter & Armada,
My laptop has 4GB of ram, and Intel Core I3-311oM CPU @2.40 GHZ. The Windows Experience Index is 5.1. The graphics on CIV5 Gods & Kings are killer on this laptop. I am going to load CoAS outside of Program Files, and see what goes. I loaded Sea Dogs out of curiousity. It runs after some coaxing with tools, but SD is limited compared to recent pirate games.

Have one on me!
Pirate Mick,
the Gimpy Pirate.

My laptop has 4GB of ram, and Intel Core I3-311oM CPU @2.40 GHZ. The Windows Experience Index is 5.1. The graphics on CIV5 Gods & Kings are killer on this laptop.
Is that just with Intel graphics? I thought CIV 5 was more demanding than that. o_O

Is that just with Intel graphics? I thought CIV 5 was more demanding than that. o_O
It has gaming graphics rating of 6.3, and it has an Intel HD 4000 video card. I am very satisfied with this laptop, and Windows 8. We have a laptop with Windows 7, and it runs CIV5 very slowly under DirectX9. The graphics are not crisp, and the speed of action is slow.

Pirate Mick,
the Gimpy Pirate!

Well, I took a chance loaded AOP2 on my Windows 8 laptop. I installed it in a folder outside of Programs. I ran the compatibility troubleshooter which fixed that issue. I tried to run it, and got the Tages 1275 error message. Went to the Tages site, downloaded and installed the Tages driver fix. I rechecked compatibility, and set it to run by administrator to cover any user issue.. I tried to start it again. It got through the loading files screen, it got through the programmer logos, and it was running the intro cut scenes before the menu. It froze at the cut scene of the fortress. I tried a second, and third time with the same result.
The installation disk was brand new. Anybody have any fresh ideas on this problem??

Pirate Mick,
the Gimpy Pirate!

:shrug All I ever do is install it outside of program files then run the tages update and the nodvd file, then install GOF2 and it just works. Win 7 64 pro here.

Oh wait. You have Intel graphics. Sometimes it actually works with COAS and sometimes it does not. There is an Intel graphics patch for POTC that might work with COAS too.
http://www.piratesahoy.net/threads/intel-graphics-fix.19297/

Hmm, I'd be careful with that Intel Fix on CoAS. You can try though. :shrug

I can't see how Intel graphics could be a problem here, because the game actually supports it. If it were much older than the HD 4000, then it might not work, but that's not the case here.

I'm testing the German mod almost exclusively only with laptop and Windows 8
Also AOP2 the original game runs without problems.
All thing you have to configure a lot!

------------------
System Information
------------------
Operating System: Windows 8 64-bit
System Manufacturer: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.
System Model: K55VJ
BIOS: K55VJ.201
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3210M CPU @ 2.50GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.5GHz
Name: Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000
Chiptyp: Intel(R) HD Graphics Family
Memory: 8192MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 8078MB RAM
Page File: 1533MB used, 7760MB available
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
Display Mode: 1366 x 768 (32bit) (60 Hz)

Maya 5.0.1 also works fine in Windows 8

Thanks, Jan!

My laptop has an Intel i3 processor, instead of an i5. Everything else is similar to yours. What do you mean configure a lot? I have installed it outside of Programs, used the compatibility troubleshooter, have DirectX 11, made sure everything not required by Windows 8 was not running, but it still freezes at the cut slide of the fortress. I am out of ideas. CIV5 G & K runs without a hiccup. I could run it in touch screen mode, but I am not adept using touch screen yet. Any ideas would be great!

Pirate Mick,
the Gimpy Pirate!

Well, my crap computer has an Intel Pentium 4 3.00Ghz (2CPUs) processor, 2 GB DDR 2 memory and a crappy Intel 82945g chipset which has a rating of 3.1 and I can run unmodded CoAS perfectly with low textures (but high res.). So, I can't come up with any ideas why it wouldn't run on your computer... Do you have fullscreen or safe mode on in config.exe by any chance?

Windows 8 itself needs at least 6 GB of RAM as a minimum .
Anything less is too weak.Main problem is the processor.
There are single-core processor , dual- core, triple -core , quad-core , hexa -core processor and octa -core processor ( eight-core processor).
The game was designed for a dual-core processor.Since the problems start , yes. I'm just HyperThreading .

Concept of what is behind HyperThreading . I'm trying to simplify it to show!
Behind Hyper -threading or SMT generally is the idea better utilize the computational work of a processor ,by filling the gaps in the pipeline as well as possible instructions of another thread . Such gaps canfor example, occur when a process or thread has to wait for the memory through a cache.Here, then using Hyper-Threading , a second process or thread to be " pushed " and thus run in parallel.On the software side , a CPU with Hyper-Threading behaves like a multiprocessor system - the divisionthe incoming data on the empty space creates two logical processors by the operating systemMultiprocessing techniques may be administered.Thread known in computer science or an execution thread of execution in a program is executed .Cache is a fast buffer in the computer memory , the ( re ) hits on a slow background medium or complexHelps to avoid recalculations . Content / data that have already been obtained / calculated remain in the cache , so thatthey quickly available later you need . Also , data that are probably needed soon in advance of the background mediumbe retrieved and provided initially in the cache.

If hyper-threading is enabled or disabled abhänig of the hardware and software.The Hardeware pageFind at Intel 's Hyper-Threading processors in newer models of the Pentium 4 series , with many Core i models andsome Atom processors . Also the multi-core processors from AMD as AMD 64 X2 Azhlon give yourself by flag as Hyper-Threading capable of ,although they are not, but this allows them to potentially benefit from HTT optimized program flow . So it is alsowith various multi-core Intel processors such as the Intel Pentium D or Intel Core 2 Duo where , depending on the version , not hyperthreadingis present, but nevertheless the corresponding Prozessorflag is set.The software pageWindows operating systems that support Hyper-Threading starting from Windows XP. Whether computer games benefit from Hyper-Threadingor not depends primarily on how many threads can make the games challenging question to the processor andhow many of the processor can execute simultaneously. While dual -core CPUs very well with current games benefit from Hyper-Threading ,since most current games offer more than two threads to processor demanding , the majority of games lost in early 2011 even slightlyof performance if hyperthreading is enabled on a quad-core processor , since they offer little more than four threads to the processor ,but at the same time increases the administrative burden within the processor because of hyperthreading . For processors with six or more coresbrings hyper-threading in games no more advantage .

Windows 8 itself needs at least 6 GB of RAM as a minimum .
I don't know where you got that idea from. I'm running Win8 64-bit with 4GB of RAM, and right now as I'm surfing the web, not even half of that is in use. :shrug

Armada, write to surf and text are sufficiently 4GB.

A question.
Have you ever seen the programming of DirectX.
All mathematical formulas calculated and then be output graphically. Also, the textures
calculated and displayed graphically. The computing power needed and memory.
The larger a texture is, the more processing power is required.
4 GB is not enough for graphic application.

I think Armada manages to play Pirates of the Caribbean on that computer....? o_O

Armada, write to surf and text are sufficiently 4GB.

A question.
Have you ever seen the programming of DirectX.
All mathematical formulas calculated and then be output graphically. Also, the textures
calculated and displayed graphically. The computing power needed and memory.
The larger a texture is, the more processing power is required.
4 GB is not enough for graphic application.
Ah, but you initially said Windows 8 itself needs "at least 6GB of RAM as a minimum", which is very misleading. You didn't mention video games.
I'm not disputing the effects of RAM on gaming performance; more is better, of course. But then to say 4GB is "not enough" for such things is also misleading.
"Not enough" for ultra-high end gaming, absolutely. But for running an old game like CoAS, you don't need extremely powerful hardware with a large amount of RAM.

Again, I'm not saying that your information is false. I'm just worried that it might give people the wrong impressions.

Yes, this can be misleading Armada.
I have a Core i5 quad-core-processor. The test reports that I found
there was always the hint, you should a minimum of 8 GB of RAM to take on Windows 8.
The Core i5 dual-core-processor with 6GB of RAM is recommended for Windows 8.
The test reports will always be low on memory at cheap Referenced notebooks.
When one buys something, you should well informed.

It is about the distribution of computations.
I can use all 4 cores to the operating system.
I can say for the operating system to calculate 2 cores but also
and 2 cores for the game COAS.

Back