• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Architectura Navalis Pl XLII No. 5: Packet Sloop

Post Captain

Seamanship Advisor
Coordinator
QC Advisor
Storm Modder
This is a fairly small sloop contained in Architectura Navalis, (Pl XLII No. 5) supposedly a tiny packet. I'm figuring this out in Maya as I go, so a few questions for now:

What is the best way to model the stern gallery? A new polygon?
The geometry on the bow is pretty rough because of the vessel's lines. Should I add more faces to fix it?
And simply, what is the best thing to do next?

The entire port side and the main deck are just placeholders right now. They do not exist in the version of the model that is being worked on.

sloopv2.png Sloopv1.png
http://www.sjohistoriska.se/ImageVaultFiles/id_3072/cf_1784/42.JPG
http://www.sjohistoriska.se/ImageVaultFiles/id_3072/cf_1784/42.JPG

This is too small to mount any serious guns, but I might add a few two or three pound carriage guns and/or some swivel guns at some point. That should allow for some desperate piracy or privateering, but this vessel is better suited to running dispatches and mail, or to very light merchant duty.

Maybe this will help:

Build up the hull were marked in red, the hances can be cut later while the stern section is usually straight. The straight stern line will not follow the decorative work in the stern view but to were the red cross intersect on the image.

The yellow line is pointing at were the transom planking meets the keel. I may have some suitable images of how this area can be interpreted.

I would remove the green line and the light blue line as I would imprint the trim after the hull form is smooth (I will pm about this).

The pink line is the sheer line and I would in 3ds max create a shape from this and use it to imprint a new line in place of the orange line. If you look closely the sheer line and upper wale line they usually flow the same.

The red pointers at the bow would be a suitable place for vertical station lines so you can round out the bow.

I would make sure all the station lines are vertical, but it appears the plan may not be level.

Usually the base line is level and the rest of the plan positioned to this so that the plan aligns properly in all views. Unfortunately this is not always possible as the plan may be distorted and either a redraw of the plan may be needed or if the distortion isn't too bad, modelling the shape with good judgement on the effected areas.

Regards,

Attachments

• Sloopv1 proposed.png
    Sloopv1 proposed.png
    242.3 KB · Views: 403
  • Sloopv1 proposed stern.png
    Sloopv1 proposed stern.png
    844.9 KB · Views: 433
Thanks. I'll get right on that as soon as I get the chance. (I just knew someone would say something about the stern. Never got around to fixing that. The light blue line, where the main deck meets the hull, is fortunately not on my working file.)

Fortunately there wasn't too much distortion due to the waterline being level and the drag of the keel. The waterlines on the plan didn't match the modeled hull perfectly, but they were very close, and the station lines are drawn vertically.
At any rate, this is just a practice run, so to speak, and it probably won't make it into HoO, where that really matters. The Swedish ketch I'm thinking of working on from HoO has a level baseline, so that won't be much of a problem once I make it that far.

Do we have anything pre-made that's suitable for the figurehead and the stern decorations? Most of my modeling experience is with CAD, and I have no clue what I'm doing when it comes to organic forms like those.

Well this would certainly be a good fit for HoO if you reconsider. Try to keep the horizontal edges parallel to eachother above the waterline. Youre right that more divisions at the bow would be good, we can actually afford them with HoO! :danceUsing the transparency feature of maya helps woth this so you can see the plan behind the geometry. When I have more time I'll try to give more detailed feedback, You've got a solid start.

Well, looks like this is on hold until after I get back from the SNAME conference at the end of next week... I have to go do boats and stuff, as they say.

No worries. I know what you mean, and I'm not complaining if the final product is better off as a result. :onya

Thanks, I'll post one with my next update.
For the record, I've corrected the weirdness on edge around the lower transom. I plan to have the hull planking extend a a fractional distance past the lower transom planking like on Pride of Baltimore II, so that edge won't be covered up. (Pride II actually has an almost-round-tuck square-tuck stern)

Last edited:
(Pride II actually has an almost-round-tuck square-tuck stern)

o_O

(and nice job on the new hull)

Last edited:

To put it another way, (that was confusing on purpose) it looks like a round-tuck unless you look at it from a very short distance.

I'll take care of the wireframe later, and the textures here are placeholders. The bow isn't perfectly smooth, but it's good enough for what I'm trying to accomplish:
PacketSloop3.5.png

I had a few minutes so I decided to finish this hull I got rid of the headrails and made it flush decked to just get it done. (And it'll work for the Napoleonic era now, kind of) I'll probably do a really simple rig and finish the rudder and deck fittings then hand it over as-is if anyone wants to texture it and put it in-game. I don't have potc on my computer here or anything and I don't have time to take it past that state. But hey, if someone wants to do that, that's another ship!
Chapmanpacketshortcut1.png

Relatively small ship, by the looks of it? That would certainly be useful as most of the ones currently in development range from pretty big to REALLY big.
What kind of rig would that one have?

It's a pretty minimalistic sloop rig.
I think it was in the 35-50 foot range? I'd have to check.

I might also want to put a 45 foot Virginia pilot boat into Maya at some point just for fun and Its even less complex than this one. I'll make sure to upload the files here if I do!

Sloop is cool! She could serve the purpose of the Lyon Hoy from our old CryEngine experiments.

She's more a fast carrier of light cargo (mail, passengers, small valuables) as opposed to the hoy, which can carry bulk goods. But wasn't the hoy already in potc?

Back