• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Discussion Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag - Single-Player Adventure Game

Jack Black

Freebooter
Storm Modder
Ubisoft announce the next Assassins Creed adventure called Assassins Creed IV - Black Flag.
The scenario is settled in the Caribbean in the Year 1715. The main character is Edward Kenway, a dreaded pirate and grandfather of Connor Kenway, the main character in Assassins 3.
Besides numerous naval battles it should be possible to explore several islands. Ubisoft plans to publish Black Flag at by early 2014.

original.jpg

944x531.jpg

Everyone's thinking it, I'm just saying it: Uh-oh. :facepalm

So they thought people really enjoyed the naval aspect of AC3 so much, they decide to make the next game entirely about pirates? I guess they didn't see our comments!
I won't judge the game before we get to see any actual gameplay, but let's just say I'm not holding my breath...

Making the whole next game about pirates does allow them to put a bit more time and effort into it this time around and maybe make it, if not perfect, at least closer to what we'd like to see. Eh?

So very true.
One thing Ubisoft did nail with Assassin's Creed 3 was the ambience.

Ships may have moved like speedboats and been made out of glass, but the player ship felt more "alive" than any other game i have played before.
Movements of the crew, damage on deck, and the audio was pretty much spot on.

Ships may have moved like speedboats and been made out of glass,

LOL! xD My thoughts exactly.

Maybe they will slow them down just a notch this time out and make them out of cardboard instead of glass. :monkeydance

That would at least be something. Or just add toggle settings - 3 little pigs style, STRAW, TWIGS, or BRICK - player decides how tough the ships are.

I may actually buy this one.....but would predict I will just be making fun of it and writing scathingly bad reviews of it after a few days of play.

MK

Oh God...

I can already envision it...
Lego-pirate-ship.jpg

I suppose this one will be "historically accurate" as well?

I suppose this one will be "historically accurate" as well?[/quote]That's a massively modified version of the Queen Anne's Revenge and looks pretty good detail-wise. The original is so much worse:
1454.jpg

Ha some of my roomates saw this was announced and were all like "awesome, they did the naval stuff so well!" and I'm sitting there thinking " yeah, about that..." Could be interesting, though almost certainly not our ideal game here. I remember seeing somewhere (probably here) that AC3 originally had slower ship combat with more realistic elements, but the developers arcaded it up for the final release, to "fit better with the fast pace of the rest of the game" or something of that nature. that being said, they still got the ships dead wrong in so many ways, I'm not expecting much.

Well its not like naval gameplay was the primary focus of the game to begin with.
It was kind of more an afterthought, and theres pretty much only a couple of mission in the entire main story arc that involves naval combat, 90% of it is optional.

And here it is. The official Assassins Creed - Black Flag - Trailer. Look sweet. Very few gameplay scenes, but a lot of rendered cutscene material. And hey, there are naked girls in it so i think it will get an mature + rating. :aar

On other sites they are saying that character is Blackbeard. They also say that AC3 nailed naval combat. :facepalm

But that is DX11! Looks sweet.

Correct. It's Blackbeard. He say it in the beginning of the Trailer ("All right lads, I'll give you Blackbeards honest opinion.") And he fears that blond beginner pirate (no, not Guybrush Threepwood :D ) . So he must be a damn old salt that even Davy Jones himself does not want to see at his side.

I can see myself enjoying this game very much, even if its not a hundred percent authentic.
After all, PoTC was a blast even unmodded, and it didn't exactly have the most authentic looking ships or combat in contrast to what it became after it was modded.
But like i said, it was still great fun in its vanilla form.

Vanilla POTC is a fantasy arcade game set in the Caribbean. The ships fly along at impossible speeds no matter what the wind and combat is so easy it is possible to pile up corpses so deep they completely cover the ground. Yeah, it is good yuck yuck fun, just like AC4 will be.

I saw the following in an article posted elsewhere on the forum, which gave me at least some confidence in Ubisoft's competence in the genre:
Black Flag director Ashraf Ismail stressed that his global team was focusing on placing Edward into a more historically accurate take on this era – no parrots, no Krakens, no theme park shine. Clearly the team is aware that Disney’s Pirates of the Caribbean series has defined much of the fictional narrative surrounding pirates, and it wants to change that image and style. It wants to be grittier, more true to the dark, rough reality of the era.
With the bold claim that Assassin’s Creed III was just testing the (forgive us) water in terms of naval combat, Ismail’s team intends to make Black Flag’s ocean-based warfare deeper and more complex than before, adding more weapon types, enemies, and challenges.

So by the sound of things, they don't want to Disney-fy the game, and they intend to improve the naval combat. That can only be a good thing, but we'll have to see how they deliver on these claims.
Notice the term "historically accurate" again, which they used to describe the previous game, yet we all know how that turned out.
(In fairness, the land portions of ACIII did look quite accurate from the trailers and such.)

The trailer still looks very fanasy-based and ill-researched. In addition, the ships were almost Napoleonic-rigged, which is completely wrong for the time period. I think that all that stuff about historic accuracy, no matter how well-intentioned it is, is mostly bull.

If they couldn't even get the right ships for the time period in there, what does that say about the rest of their research?

To be fair that's a cinematic trailer, which are made using high-poly assets by another company to which the task is subcontracted (at least, that's how they've done the other cinematic trailers). That's not afaik ingame footage with DX11 so don't get your hopes up. My point being, with regards to the rigging etc., it's quite possible that Ubisoft will get it right in the game but that level of attention to detail was not shared by the people making the trailer.

Wouldn't they share their location, ship and character models with the subcontractor so that the cutscenes will match with the game?

Back