• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Discussion Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag - Single-Player Adventure Game

Simpler combat indeed. Although I do believe in the value of simplicity, it seems that was ALL they cared about.
No depth at all from what I can gather. A well-made cartoon, perhaps, but a cartoon nonetheless.

Ships steering like cars is.... uhm.... not a good thing. I really thought wind did play at least some role, even if it isn't much.
On the other hand, admittedly having ships that handle like ships is harder to control and takes quite some getting used to.
That's why us Navigation Officers get paid the big bucks. Oh wait..... :facepalm

"GLORIFIED SPEEDBOAT". Lol. :rofl Btw is Assassin's Creed series a kind of successor to Prince of Persia ? Who made that one definitely was into Yoga and such things, hence he was probably afraid to stay longer at sea. :p

Last edited:
The original assassin's creed game was meant to be a Prince of Persia game but because it was just so much more they created, they made it a new series. (I think Ubisoft is very happen that they made that decision).

Also I haven't played AC IV yet since I'm waiting for my PS4+AC IV to arrive.. Until then I can't really comment on how to game plays but most probably they behave like speedboats.

So that's this one. I started to play one of the Prince of Persia games long ago, and though it had interesting combat, it was too strange to captivate me. You had to rotate 360 degrees in all directions every second, and you barely never walk normally on land. And since I don't find such kind of life attractive to be simulated, I abandoned it.

I am waiting for the Steam version.

The one thing that will annoy me about the game with everything else said so far in this thread, is if they do not reference the Jackdaw as a "unique" ship. Obviously the Jackdaw is the only ship like it in the game, I want the uniqueness of that ship to be recognized in the game. It would help the "unrealistic" aspect of the ship itself, by referring it as a very special ship.

"This ship was designed and crafted by so and so, its the most unique & rarest ship in the Caribbean"

Likely their will not be any mention of it as a unique ship, it will just be referred to as "your ship" or "the Jackdaw" the entire game. I know the ship will get praised by people in the game and other captains will fear it like they would Queen Anne's Revenge but they may not refer to the Jackdaw as a "unique" ship.

Will just haft to wait and see.

The only problem there is that all of the other ships are unrealistic too.

I won't claim to be a expert by any means, but the Jackdaw is the least realistic of all the ships in the game if I am not mistaken. Its not even modeled after a real life ship from what I understand, its pretty much a custom ship created by Ubisoft.

Would it even be able to sail?
Just curious...

You can technically sail almost anything by sending up some canvas, even a floating log. That being said, the Jackdaw would probably sail like a floating log. Actually, scratch that. A floating log actually floats. That whatever-it's-supposed-to-be doesn't

The long answer is that after looking at that poster, I'm convinced that it would sink immediately if you put in it the water. There's not enough displacement to support the 50 guns the claim she can carry. Even if she... what the hell am I saying... Even if it could keep its lower gunports above water, it would capsize very quickly. And that "battering ram" thing, whatever it's supposed to be on the bow, is a major structural weak point. So IF it could float, and IF it didn't capsize (possible if you remove most of the guns) serious leaking would start around the bow after a few hours in all but the calmest seas, sinking it. If you somehow prevented any of those things from happening, it would get blown over the minute you set any sails.

the ship realisticly probly couldnt float, much less sail, but in-game the sailing is pretty cool, the only problem i have is "you have to disable the ship" before you can board, unlike in AoPCoAS, where if you just sail close enuf you can board. the cannon aiming sux, im having a real hard time "taking" ships. but sailing around, picking up castaways and cargo are pretty interesting, along swimming, and cabin view is whole lot better than AoP. but ship to ship battles leave alot to be worked on.

You can technically sail almost anything by sending up some canvas, even a floating log. That being said, the Jackdaw would probably sail like a floating log. Actually, scratch that. A floating log actually floats. That whatever-it's-supposed-to-be doesn't

The long answer is that after looking at that poster, I'm convinced that it would sink immediately if you put in it the water. There's not enough displacement to support the 50 guns the claim she can carry. Even if she... what the hell am I saying... Even if it could keep its lower gunports above water, it would capsize very quickly. And that "battering ram" thing, whatever it's supposed to be on the bow, is a major structural weak point. So IF it could float, and IF it didn't capsize (possible if you remove most of the guns) serious leaking would start around the bow after a few hours in all but the calmest seas, sinking it. If you somehow prevented any of those things from happening, it would get blown over the minute you set any sails.

Vasa 2.0? :p

Wasa was technically blown over. This thing wouldn't even stay upright long enough to get any sail set.

This is kind of funny... I'm actually playing it while writing this. Have been since the 14th (13th for you Europeans)

I got the PS4 at 12:01 AM on the release day (7th person to get one ;) ) and i have been playing ACIV Ever since.

And before i go any further I just want to let y'all know that I am a DIE-HARD fan of the series. As a walking history book I LOVE Seeing how these guys take real history and tweak it. I LOVE how many unexplained or theoretically explained moments in history are given legit reasons for happening in this fictional tale. (Such as mysterious death or explanations for strange happenings.) And honestly Edward Kenway comes extremely close to Ezio Auditore Da Firenze in my eyes just based on his character. Altair Ibn Alahad and Connor I just couldn't really connect with and i personally hated Connor.

And anyone who has any comparison with Ezio is a winner in my Book:
Main Character=:onya:onya:onya:onya:onya 5/5

Story Line=:onya:onya:onya:onya:onya 5/5

Though it doesn't completely follow history it also makes us think... does anything ever really happen like we remember it? and Thats another thing i love about these games is that they not only drive one forward with their gameplay but if you take the time to truly study what is going on, These games transcend entertainment and really go into a philosophical level that no other series does.

It says so right at the very beginning: This work of Fiction was created by a multicultural team with all different beliefs. (Paraphrased)

These games are not the work of a single mind, they are not the work of a single religion or way of life. They are a cumilnation of Questions. Questions that should be asked of all men like: is my way of life truly superior than those of others? And even if i still do not agree with them should I be so planted in the ground that i do not learn the lessons that another philosophy might teach?

It is easy to rule out the Templars as Evil/Cruel and the Assassins as the good guys. but as the past few games have shown. Deep at their core these two groups have the same goal: To keep Humanity safe and secure, but they wish to do so through opposite paths. One through control the other through Freedom.

The reason i bring this up is bc AC IV is really the first time you get to see the Humanity behind the Templars, and while you still don't agree with them... the struggle is no longer so black and white as good and evil. this is the first game which you can really see that, and its because you are looking through Neutral eyes through most of the game. Kenway is Neither Assassin or Templar and he has his doubts for both through most of the game. You see the "Evil" Templar actions but then you hear Hornigold Speak one of the most hard hitting lines in the entire series when he dies. and it makes you just look back and reevaluate what you thought was absolutely true.

True while he was a traitor and you hated him for it... you couldnt help but see his reasons behind his actions, and they were anything but self serving, or evil.

I could go on forever discussing this in far greater detail then most of y'all ever thought possible. As a writer i can't help but see between the lines and get fully involved in whats really going on behind each line of dialog. You know a good story when it entertains, you know an epic story when you can take nothing at face value. AND I LOVE IT!!

As I near the end of the game, however, I Have found shortcomings... but it's probably not the same ones y'all have found. My negatives are really only 2 that really stand out to me and they are:

1. Rope Dart come into the game WAAAAAAAY too late

and

2. THEY KEEP USING THE NAMES MAN O' WARS AND GALLEONS INTERCHANGEABLY ON A SHIP THAT IS CLEARLY THE FORMER!!!

I MEAN ***** ME WITH A ********** AND TAKE OUT THE ***** AND CLEAN IT OFF BEFORE DINNER! THAT IS ANNOYING THE FIRE OUT OF ME AND I HAVE TO GO DRINK A GLASS OF WINE EVERY TIME JUST TO LIVE THROUGH THE DEPRESSION IT HAS CAUSED :rumgone:(:(:(:modding:modding:modding:modding

I mean COME ON!! Just add another ship to the game people!!!...............

Sorry....:unsure I had to go regain my composer after that...:nerbz

Anyway to continue with this.

You can't judge this game by a criteria it was never meant to abide by. Sure the Jackdaw is nowhere near a realistic brig. (And btw I checked its max Cannon load out is like 24 i think... not fifty (I checked in game yesterday))

But it was never supposed to be. None of them were. This is an Assassin's Creed Game with a Pirate theme. NOT the other way around. It was NEVER going to be the caliber of accuracy that dedicated Age of Sail games have, because it is NOT and age of sail game.

The Ships ain't realistic
the mechanics ain't realistic
the rigging ain't realistic
The Shanties are a bad@** touch though you HAVE to admit that!:love:yes

But you have to look at what you're dealing with. A game that was previously LANDLOCKED that happened to feature a mini game that people enjoyed. Gets a theme based completely around that mini game and expands on it. This is a game that doesn't have to be accurate in every detail when it comes to this subject and personally I'M GLAD IT AIN'T. I am very pleased with the games perfomance, story, and gameplay (And PS4 EXCLUSIVE STUFF:p) These things are such high quality, and such great improvements on the Dark age that ACIII was compared to the Ezio Trilogy. That I find it hard to complain about anything in this game. (Except for the Danged Galleon issue... Bugs me Because a 1st Rate is my favorite class of ship....:()

All in all Assassins Creed IV does all that AC fans hoped it would do and so much more. And i personally think it is right up there With AC II. I am proud of Ubisoft for not selling out this series and letting the quality drop just for the sake of money as so many other publishers have done. AC IV is a milestone in the series that i personally could not be happier with and it has virtually no shortcomings from what was expected by the Brotherhood (Assassin's's Creed Die-hards) and many others.

I've had a life-long obsession with the Age of Sail, especially the Age of Piracy. Im A walking history book, a Assassins Creed Fanboy and a writer and reader all my life.

Every fiber of my being is in agreement on this one mates. ACIII was a lowpoint to me... AC IV blackflag revived my faith in this series and rekindled my love for it

10/10 Rating. This game is a perfect materialization of what it was intended to be.

Also on a side note. be thankful mates, this game has almost certainly pumped a little more life into the public's desire for Age of sail games. Believe it or not HoO will profit off of the success of this title.:pflag

Now... back to writing the stuff i actually should be writing and can get into.:doff

Well my AC: IV copy for PS4 came in yesterday however I still need to wait 8 days before I have a PS4.. :wp

But I'm also a long-lasting fan from the series and know quite a bit about it. (Have the Encyclopedia first version) and also have the book Assassin's Creed: Black Flag (Really recommend it since it's so well written.

Even though I haven't played a single second yet, I'm already very positive for it looking at the reviews. (Which are always understated since the critics have no idea, how the AC universe turns..)

I do however find it a bit sad that they killed Desmond, since you have no modern timeline with assassins now. AC III was the worst game of the series in my eyes however I still loved it. :)

I'll post my idea's over the game when I'm playing it. And maybe the gameplay is not realistical however for me.. I'd hate realistical gameplay in an AC game. To bad they went wrong with the ships themselves yet they have some authentic feel to it for the persons that don't know what they actually are.

Last edited:
I also acquired AC IV and I have almost completed the storyline, but I must say this is one of the better AC games. I love the character of Edward and the fact that there is no pure good/evil. It is refreshing to play as a character whose actions aren't directly bound to some sort of creed, but has to learn their way in the world.

And about the ships and sailing: this is the first AC game that features ships that are at least recognizable as proper ships. The Aquila in AC III was a horrendous monster and the ships before that where just floating bricks with chopsticks as masts. The only thing I hate are the battering ram brigs and the battering ram on the Jackdaw (if I knew that it wasn't a usefull upgrade, I wouldn't have picked the damn thing).

Seabattles may feel arcade-like, but I can enjoy them. I mean, not everybody has the time to fight out proper battles that last more than 10 minutes. It just feels right, even though it might not be accurate. And you have enough ways to attack a ship to develop a strategy.

The only thing I can't understand is why they can't make proper costumes, fitting the time period. I get really agitated by the use of bi-corns on the captains while its 1715.

But overall, a great pirate game.

The only thing I hate are the battering ram brigs and the battering ram on the Jackdaw (if I knew that it wasn't a usefull upgrade, I wouldn't have picked the damn thing).

Hated that one too tho u dont really have to take it ,i didnt .Liked the shanty's thou made the game more enjoyable

Wasa was technically blown over. This thing wouldn't even stay upright long enough to get any sail set.
Yeah but she was still blown over for many of the same reasons, and more.
She had too little ballast, was over-gunned like mad, built too tall, lower gun ports ended up too close to the water line, etc.

Back