• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Attacking forts

Grey Roger

Sea Dog
Staff member
Administrator
Storm Modder
Has attacking forts been intentionally made harder?

In Build 13, I could take Greenford with a frigate. It was tough, I usually had to use "Emergency Repair" to stay afloat, but I could do it.

In Build 14 Beta 3, I managed it with a flushdeck frigate, though again it was tough and I barely managed to finish off the last guns before they finished off the Mefisto which I'd kept as a companion ship ever since capturing it.

In Beta 3.1, I had no chance. The fort was knocking out 3-4 of my guns with every salvo, I was sometimes knocking out one of the fort's guns in a salvo, Mefisto was nearly sunk and I wasn't much better off. Due to the "improved" skill and perk system neither I nor my best gunner had "Professional Cannoneer", though the gunner had all the other gunnery perks plus "Cannons" and "Accuracy" both at 9, while I had the "Professional Defence" perk and "Defence" skill at 10. So I gave up, loaded an earlier saved game and went to look for something bigger, then tried again when I'd taken a Fleuron from a French group. First I berthed both the Mefisto and my flushdeck frigate so they wouldn't get sunk. Then I attacked the fort. This time I was knocking out 2-3 fort guns with each salvo, while the fort wasn't knocking out my guns as regularly.

So it seems you need a battleship or equivalent to take Bridgetown, making a nonsense of the crewman who rushes into the tavern to announce the arrival of Silehard's fleet by complaining that he's never seen such big ships. He has to have been on such a big ship in order to get to this point. :)

I have to wonder whether the alleged 24 pound carronades really are behaving as 24 pounders. The Fleuron was carrying genuine 24 pound guns and was doing far more damage than the frigate, bearing in mind that it only has about double the broadside (19 vs. 12 before the fort's guns knock out a few).

Definitely not intentional. Are you sure that is Beta 3.1 and not Beta 3.2?
While I can imagine the new "Locked Abilities" feature influencing this, that was included in Beta 3.1 yet.
Bit confused here....

Definitely Beta 3.1. Locked perks are not present, but expensive perks are, and that's why nobody is "Professional Cannoneer" - nobody can afford it yet. The gunner has everything else related to the job but is high level, so gaining levels in order to earn points for more perks will take a lot of time. It was quicker and easier to just go and steal a battleship. :rpirate

Ah, perhaps it is then those "expensive perks" messing you up. :modding

The only thing I'm missing as a result of that is "Professional Cannoneer", assuming that other gunnery-related perks work if you don't have them but the gunner does. My own character does have "Professional Defence", which didn't stop the fort from knocking out my guns 3-4 at a time when I was in the frigate.

I had a bad time there too when I went in with small ships. The fort has a lot of big guns that do a lot of damage, so you need a big ship that can TAKE a lot of damage. The Waller Pinnace or heavy pinnace of war is an ideal ship for this if you can get one as they are kind of rare.

Back