• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Need Help B14 Beta 3.2 Balancing

Levis

Find(Rum) = false;
Staff member
Administrator
Creative Support
Programmer
Storm Modder
Guys,

I would like some Feedback on the balancing. Im very curious to hear what you guys think. Do you think the perks have the right cost now or should some be changed. Are the difference between Import and Export products right (with the different perks).
Are Encounters not to strong or to weak.
And more of those Kind of things.
Please let me know.

Renamed this thread to make it clear we're talking about Beta 3.2, not the base game or any other versions. ;)

@Levis , i remember a curious thing with the economy system of the player; I saw that even with 10 skill of commerce and having advanced commerce, the prices of selling and buying were not close (there was some difference between them). For me, i would like the old system of the 10% difference (which is that the price of selling has a 10% value less than the price of buying, or simply, the old system of the stock POTC), but hey, i just loved so much the old system, maybe the other players would like this new system.

About goods... I like you put some changes of the prices of cannonballs, chainshots, etc. The gold and silver seems more realistic with their prices, and i liked also that other goods, such as oil, cotton, or paprika, coyuld easily become smuggling or importing products, instead of the classic economy system of the stock game. Nice work :onya

About perks, i have to take a look again, then i will tell you what i think :)

And encounters... the only thing i missed is that no pirate fleets on the worldmap appear again. I liked that aspect, so if it's possible to recover it, it would be amazing :) (Btw, i have only played on the buccaneer storyline so far, so i don't know if that era the pirates no longer appear on the worldmap)

Hi,

imho the perks are very good priced now... (better than in the stock game).
Also the encounters are good, but for some players they might be a bit too hard...
The economy system is nice, but you could implement, that the prices for ships ammunition vary (sell and buy). This is also my very own opinion, I think hardly all players like it the way it's currently ... :)

And encounters... the only thing i missed is that no pirate fleets on the worldmap appear again. I liked that aspect, so if it's possible to recover it, it would be amazing :) (Btw, i have only played on the buccaneer storyline so far, so i don't know if that era the pirates no longer appear on the worldmap)
No pirates on the worldmap at all? That is really weird. Definitely not intentional. :shock

If I understand correctly, they should show up more often at night and especially during full moon.
How about around the islands of Turks and Nevis? Those have pirate settlements, so they might be more common there as well.

If I understand correctly, they should show up more often at night and especially during full moon.
How about around the islands of Turks and Nevis? Those have pirate settlements, so they might be more common there as well.

But we are talking about worldmap, not direct sail or 3D mode around the islands; Sometimes, when a pirate fleet came to you in worldmap say things like "Warships with the Jolly Roger" "A rag-tag bunch with the Jolly Roger", or things like that. The system you are talking is all right, but the worldmap doesn't work well.

That's definitely not intentional. @Levis: Have you noticed that as well? Can something be done?

One issue with the new economy is that I tried to smuggle leather to Charlstown on Nevis. It is contraband there - but when I met the smugglers on the beach they said I did not have anything to sell??? Will try on another Island later.

I have not seen ant pirates or ship battles on the world map yet - may be an issue but I am still early in the game with this version.

Forgot to mention that the land fight and sea battle balancing are good - Compliments to all. Trading at early stages in the game is not worthwhile at this point without a quartermaster of better than a 5 level on commerce.
Concentrating on trade missions from the shop keepers and hoping to unlock the commerce abilities.

One issue with the new economy is that I tried to smuggle leather to Charlstown on Nevis. It is contraband there - but when I met the smugglers on the beach they said I did not have anything to sell??? Will try on another Island later.

I have not seen ant pirates or ship battles on the world map yet - may be an issue but I am still early in the game with this version.

If there are more than one colony on an island smuggling might not work because what is contraband for one might be trade good for the other, but I thought that bug had been fixed.

I thought so too. Do you have more specific details or perhaps a savegame of that failed smuggling run?
@Levis, do you think you could have another look at this one?

Of course we're all hoping that @Levis will show up again soon. But if not, can I ask everyone to think about what was working better in Beta 3.1?
If need be, I can try to look into returning some of the code to its earlier state. Though it is doubtful I will be able to do that while still at sea.

Hopefully Levis is just concentrating on his schoolwork and will be back soon. Now is the time to fine tune all of the major changes of the last 8 months. They were installed without adequate play testing and now we are stuck with half finished mods.

While going back is tempting, I would rather fine tune the existing mods. The economy, perks, and taverns still need work.

Of course we're all hoping that @Levis will show up again soon. But if not, can I ask everyone to think about what was working better in Beta 3.1?
If need be, I can try to look into returning some of the code to its earlier state. Though it is doubtful I will be able to do that while still at sea.

Hmm... now i think about the old worldmap encounter system of Beta 3.1, which was more better and stable than Beta 3.2. There were more fleets sailing around the Caribbean, not like now. You should be lucky if you find a big enemy fleet if you have a militar fleet. But.... if it's possible to fix it without having headaches, that's ok :)

I also noticed that the Levis' fetch quests have some problems about the shipyard. It seems sometimes it just doesn't work because it says "you don't have enough cargo on your ship", even when i have a merchant fleet with a spanish royal galleon empty on it.

And for now... that's what i know. If later i know everything new, i will edit this post again.

Taverns, perks, economy and worldmap. And women. :D

Taverns weren't overcrowded. You could walk up to the bar and talk to the tavernkeeper without having to fend off soldiers who interrupt you to tell you to leave them alone. You didn't see two people trying to sit on the same chair.

Perks weren't disabled in "Realistic" mode. Apart from that, I see no problem. You can adjust the costs in the configuration files, as well as enable or disable locked perks.

The economy didn't prevent honest traders from making a profit.

Pirates showed up on the worldmap, and sometimes so did small ships which even a fledgling pirate could realistically try to take on. I'm also not sure whether the problem of being put in the wrong place on the worldmap when you leave sailing mode is new; I don't recall being bothered by it before I installed Beta 3.2, and I never ended up west of Panama before.

Women had a choice of clothing, especially the ones trying to get hired as officers - at the moment all female officers in taverns are Taegan in a vest.

You're not the only one considering going back to Beta 3.1. ;) Or one of the earlier versions of Beta 3.2 WIP...

Back