• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Batavia buildplans?

Would HOO be in need of a Retour/galleon-ish type of ship, like the Batavia? I'm not too sure about the time period of HOO but I though it was 18th century and Batavia is 17th. You see, if i were to build a ship i'd find it more important to build it for HOO then for POTC or GOF to be quite honest. I suppose I should just first finish my Cutter which isn't even half done :p

We are definitely lacking in trade vessels. It seems like everybody likes modeling warships. The Napoleonic era in the Build Mod doesn't really even have any actual Napoleonic era merchantmen, if I recall correctly. We need more bathtubs, with the occasional Baltimore Clipper and pilot boat. (The clipper and pilot don't apply to HoO)

Sorry, but Batavia is not a galleon. Retourship, a name is there only from the 18th century for such vessels.

Yes I agree that she is a Retourship, however, retourships ARE simply defined/classified as - a type of galleon - just as are most man-o-war built during this era.

For classification purposes and in the "English" language, the Batavia most certainly IS a galleon. In my dozens of published sources in English it is classified thus.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galleon

Specifically what attributes of the Batavia and other "retourschips" - (not an English term) - are so particularly distinguishing to make her something other than a galleon?

Cite specific attributes please. :read

I remember having a similar argument once with an old Portuguese mariner who insisted that Naos/Naus are not Carracks/Kraak - when according to all English sources and experts, they are...... I kind of look at this as someone arguing that wolves, coyotes or dingos are not canines......or that Asians are not homo-sapiens. I got in another argument with a Portuguese student who didn't have any understanding of ship classification that simply argued that the word Nau is quite simply their word for.....ship. LOL! I had to laugh...... xD

I've also had arguments with others that insist that the carrack is a type of galleon. The design differences are so dramatic, that this is not a hard argument to win when you show someone visually.

Once again, we simply run up against issues with language differentiation and with small, often minor and indistinguishable design differences in a specific nationalities version of that ship-type/classification. If you ask English speaking maritime experts who are attempting to classify maritime architecture.....Batavia IS a galleon.

What is Batavia not??? *She is not a fluyt - she does not have a rounded stern or the thin upper decks. *She is not a manowar (although most manowar of the era are classified as galleons as well) - despite her type being used in time of war, she was not specifically built for war - she is not large enough, nor possess enough guns to be a manowar. *She is not a Fregatte/Oorlogsfrigat - although many will still classify the Fregatte as a galleon, they usually had a single armed deck, sleeker sweeping raked lines, and were built for fast aggressive attacks and raiding. *She is not a carrack/nao - this obsolete design exhibits similarities and was still being built in the Mediterranean, but is a much different type of ship. *She is not a hulk - the old hulk still in some rare use - an obsolete design similar to the carrack with its giant bulbous bow, was often galleon rigged - but that doesn't make her a galleon. *She is not a patache/urca - although this type was common during the era and is similar in appearance and rig, it was much too small to be considered a galleon. They were favored as tenders and couriers and used more prominently to the south. *She is not a bus - though some fishing busses were galleon-rigged, they had no armaments and were double-enders in hull design . *She is not a galleass - although many galleasses came to have a very galleon looking design and rig by the 17th century, she was still pierced for oars and usually had a prominently rounded front fighting castle and was specifically built for warfare in the med. *She is not a galliot - don't even need to explain. *She is not a galley. She IS a TYPE of galleon.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galleon

gal·le·on (g
abreve.gif
l
prime.gif
emacr.gif
-
schwa.gif
n, g
abreve.gif
l
prime.gif
y
schwa.gif
n)
n.
A large three-masted sailing ship with a square rig and usually two or more decks, used from the 15th to the 17th century, especially by Spain as a merchant ship or warship.
[Spanish galeon, from Old Spanish, augmentative of galea, galley, from Old French galie; see galley.]
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition copyright ©2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Updated in 2009. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

galleon [ˈgælɪən]
n
(Transport / Nautical Terms) Nautical a large sailing ship having three or more masts, lateen-rigged on the after masts and square-rigged on the foremast and mainmast, used as a warship or trader from the 15th to the 18th centuries
[from Spanish galeón, from French galion, from Old French galie galley]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003

gal•le•on (ˈgæl i ən, ˈgæl yən)

n.
a large sailing vessel of the 15th to the 17th centuries used as a fighting or merchant ship, square-rigged on the foremast and mainmast and generally lateen-rigged on one or two after masts.
[1520–30; < Sp galeón, augmentative of galea galley]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.

Last edited:
Ah Port Captain, that's exactly what I was fishing for... If both the mods and perhaps HOO are in need of Napoleonic era merchantmen, then that's exactly what I want to provide. I'm a slow modeler though (lot of school stuff going on right now), but I just want to make a ship model for my own and know that it can also be used for this community, in time.

Can anyone inform me some more on these less popular vessels? the names of different types, specific ships etc.?

Modernknight1, a type of galleon it is then.

Last edited:
I can think of one vessel in particular that is absolutely perfect, but it's in a book (The Search for Speed Under Sail) and my scanner is on the other side of the US. It has hull and complete rigging. I'll see if I can find the plans online tomorrow. I was out sailing on the schooner Pioneer all day and I need to go to bed.

Back