• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Mod Release Battle Sound Mod Version 3

priatnia

Lord of France
Banned
Hello,

Since I was much annoyed of the sounding in PotC and I see no mod has dealt with it so far, I am releasing this mini mod which does the following:

- removes too much noise at sailing. There was a constant "shhhhhuuusshh" which is now gone and you can hear the sea.

- in battle you couldn't hear cannonfire. It was overwhelmed by explosions, sounds from hits etc. and again a constant noise ... now cannonfire silences all that, as it would be proper and real. So cannonfire sounding is heard 5-6 times better than before.

- the very cannon sounds have been replaced with some other.

Upd.16oct13. Version 2 has been discontinued and replaced with Version 3. No more manuall erasure required. Installation is simple with Copy/Paste. Also included is a correction that allows to hear sounds as closer to a ship as possible, while so far a passing nearby ship's sounds were not rendered by the original game setting /board to board/.

Download:

http://uploading.com/63b1aa8d/PotC-BattleSoundMod-v1-v3-rar

Also MUSIC PACK:

http://uploading.com/7c2f6817/L-A_Music_Files-rar

Last edited:
Interesting! Can somebody test this and let me know if we should include it in the next modpack update?

I'll take a look (listen?) at it later this week. I know what all of the sailing stuff should sound like. It isn't that bad in NH, so we'll see how this effects it.

I just finished a voyage from one island to another with a battle on the way with this sound pack installed. Disclaimer: I have not played POTC for 4 days, so might have missed something.

The sea wave sound is very noticeable. But there are no sail sounds at all, not even when pointing straight into the wind. Overall it sounds empty, as if something is not there.

The battle was quiet with little or no hit sounds. I sometimes only knew I was being shot at when I saw the waterspouts around my ship. I did not notice anything different about the cannon sounds, but all ships in the battle carried either 18 or 24 pound cannons.

I would suggest that if you want to hear the cannons better turn up the volume on the cannon sounds. In real life those things are earsplitting!

Ooops! I just went back and looked at it again and it did not install correctly. The "sounds" folder was misspelled as "sound", so it did not install properly. Back I go..........

EDIT: 1 1/2 hours later it is the same. My earlier statements stand. Crank up the cannon volume.

For me the previous sounding was just too much noise from many sounds that mix up. And there is no way they can be displayed properly being scripted to render some 20 sound wavs at once. At this mixture the hit and splash sounds took precedence over the cannon sounds. So for me the overall effect before was shush and noise. And there is some 2 sounds just for splash. The most horrible however were the sail sounds/4 sounds !/. I have not been sailing myself but I guess you don't hear them any second like it was in game. And even if you do hear something it was horribly represented. So I muted some of those and gave way to what is more important and you couldn't hear well before - the cannons. It is up to your liking to choose whatever realistic version you want, however at the game code for now I think even well thought the scripting so far did not achieve the necessary effect, so I went for a clearer battle sound preference version.

The real difference has to be felt not in 1 vs 1 ship battle where it was comparatively OK, but in big battles having many ships firing at once. There everything was indistinctive noise. Now you can hear the actual battle sounds. It is not perfect but at the original game scripting it had to play some 16 ship surround sounds/sails, hits, splash.../ x 4 x 4 ships participating for example and for the cannons there remained what was left. I don't think in battle you heard so much sails and hits rather than the booming of guns. And even if you did the game's abilities are to somewhere. I have brought it to the maximum clearing the hindering stuff.

p.p. Fixed the folder names in mod.

Err, I don't get into small battles. Those extra sounds help me out.
big battle-1.jpg

When you are fired at from all sides,which is pretty much the case - it makes no difference .

i aggree ONLY for the files:

(here is the list:)

fire1.wav
fire2.wav
fire3.wav
fire4.wav
fire5.wav
fire6.wav
fire7.wav

(end ^^)

which adds MUCH cannons realism !!!! (carronades too i feel ?)

but the other files "delete" some sounds like the "hurray" or th "sails sounds" which i like a great lot

so i think just the file listed in my post should be in next release ! awesome canons sound !

Question is do you want to hear "hurray" every 5 seconds, if you are playing this game for years. And the same for the other creek&sail sounds which at that deafen the cannon sounds almost to Oblivion. Any such change would completely reverse the effects.

Ayup. I agree with Agentad. My only complaint about the sounds is the crappy sound system that has the cannon sounds cutting in and out. And the cannon sounds themselves are far too quiet.

priatnia => the change just replace the sounds you dont like with "quiet ogg files" so in fact thge game still loading sounds files, so it doesnt fix the "no canons sounds sometime"

and i havent the "hurray" every 5 second, if you play with normal speed, i feel ok with it

anyway it can be an option to choose if we want to delete "hurray" and "fire" sounds during battles, but again it still loading sound file

err.. can you help me? I made a new sound for a new cannon I made (special cannons for Black Pearl and Flying Dutchman) but I dont really get where the sound-files are..
so there is "cannon_fire_CR68" in the cannons.ini but there is only the file CR68D.wav in the ressource folder ... What do I have to write when my sound-file is called CR68S?

I think I did this in my preliminary Build 14 Beta 2.4 installation. :yes

I am totally okay with the sounds as they are, except for one thing - the bell that rings on the hour out at sea. Any time I'm feeling impatient and speed up the game at all, it becomes neverending bell ringing. Wouldn't mind knowing how to get rid of that.
I understand that its there for the realistic sailing, but I think I could manage without :p

I am totally okay with the sounds as they are, except for one thing - the bell that rings on the hour out at sea. Any time I'm feeling impatient and speed up the game at all, it becomes neverending bell ringing. Wouldn't mind knowing how to get rid of that.
I understand that its there for the realistic sailing, but I think I could manage without :p
Open PROGRAM\BATTLE_INTERFACE\LogInterface.c and find:
Code:
if (bCheckForBells)
Replace with:
Code:
if (false)
I think that should work.

Version 2 released. Updated OP with new version.

IMPORTANT: In case you have same-name files BUT OTHER FORMATS in the corresponding folders, the new sounds most probably won't appear. Same-name files of different format have to be therefore erased manually to get the new ones going.

Vers 2 got more bass-sounding and deafening cannons, nothing else changed.

Back