• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Beta 2.1 problem in battle

Killerjoy96

HoO Team Member
3D Artist
Provisional
Hi i got a problem with fighting while sailing at realistic mode. I got into a fight with a bermuda sloop of france and the problem is that he sails up against the wind while i lay still or even move back when trying to do that so he can go away. My question is why can the computer sail against the wind while I'm laying still when i try. So I can't catch up with him and need to wait until i can use the sailto option i doubt this was the intended purpose of realistic sailing.

Like said above i'm using Beta 2.1 if this problem can't be helped i just go back to arcade sailing i just thought it would be fun for once.

It's not a bug.

The difference lies in the ship. Different ships have different characteristics. In general ships with square sails (like yours) have good downwind performance, while ships with lateen (triangular) sails have good upwind performance - this means they are not only faster against wind, but also can sail at more acute angles.

Examples of ships that sail well against the wind:
Ketch, Sloop, Caravela Lateena, Xebec, Gaff Schooner.

okay but it shouldn't be that he can sail upwind with around 12 knots. I think that's a little bit high for upwind

That is fast but not impossible in a strong wind. None of the ships can sail directly into the wind at speed, but some of them can go quite deeply into the wind without losing much speed. The Bermuda Sloop is a very fast ship to begin with.

Well never mind now i'm just back sailing arcade i'm not really a simulation fan of sailing cause it takes so long to complete that. The rest i have realisticly on.

No problem. There should be room for everyone if the game is well designed. I played arcade mode for a year.

Back