• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Solved Beta 3 Release Trailer?

Pieter Boelen

Navigation Officer
Administrator
Storm Modder
Hearts of Oak Donator
Is there anyone around who knows how to make videos from the game?
When we release Beta 2 a couple of years ago, we had a trailer to go with it. Would be pretty cool to be able to do that again!
If several people can shoot some video and post the unedited versions, perhaps that can be edited together.
Would make for much more variety in the footage.

So.... any takers?

hmmm With my new laptop of course! 4 cores should be able to do that :D Can you recommend any good program for recording?

I've never done it myself. Some people use Fraps, but the free version puts a banner on the screen, which I'd prefer to avoid.
Perhaps other people have better ideas?

Does anyone know if Xfire still has a video-capture option? I had this a couple of years ago, and I remember that xfire had a feature for this..
Also any other program-tips would be welcomed!

Sure, I'll try to get some footage with Fraps later today. Should be relatively straightforward. I'll probably just upload them as a private video on my YouTube account and give you fellows the link.

Are you looking for anything specific? I was just planning on recording some of my gameplay - truth be told, I'm too much of a newbie to really know what has been changed by Beta 3. :(

Last edited:
I've taken some very brief gameplay footage, and even that turned into a 330MB collection. :/

Sure, I'll try to get some footage with Fraps later today. Should be relatively straightforward. I'll probably just upload them as a private video on my YouTube account and give you fellows the link.
If we want to use it for further editing, it would probably be easier if you upload it to the FTP somewhere.
If you're willing to do so. Also, if you can, use F9 to hide the battle-interface when you're filming.

truth be told, I'm too much of a newbie to really know what has been changed by Beta 3. :(
Have a look through the feature list here: http://www.piratesahoy.net/threads/build-14-beta-3-progress.20686/
That should give you a pretty good idea. :doff

I've taken some very brief gameplay footage, and even that turned into a 330MB collection. :/
Should be possible to downsize it later on, I reckon.

d3dgear is only trial... but I just found out that xfire does still have video-recording.. so I'll just hope my laptop arrives today...

Cool! For some strange reason, Windows Media Player will only play the sound, but VLC does show the image.
How have you been making and saving those?

Might be worth turning the music off as well; then we can add the music later on when we edit the trailer together.
Otherwise we'd either have to remove the sound altogether or the music would change every few seconds. :oops:

Ah I figured you'd just end up stripping the audio completely, hence why I left it in. Now that I think about it I probably could have removed the audio and saved some filesize...

I used my personal copy of Fraps to record it. Also, I would really only recommend VLC for viewing video on a computer. Windows Media Player is just... not good. ;)

Ah I figured you'd just end up stripping the audio completely, hence why I left it in. Now that I think about it I probably could have removed the audio and saved some filesize...
It'd be easier if cannon-fire sounds would already be there though....

Also, I would really only recommend VLC for viewing video on a computer. Windows Media Player is just... not good. ;)
Works fine for me. Most of the time. And when it doesn't, I use VLC. Easy-peasy. :cheeky

okay.. so finally my new laptop arrived and I configured him (man can PotC look beautiful xD), I will grab XFire later, so now the question: how we want the trailer? Like the movie from the mainmenu if you didn't d anything for a long time? I prefer a few cut-effects and then a completely different situation, for example walking through cartagena and then a bright cut to the emerging dutchman destroying some ships.

What content do you want to see in the trailer?
I can note:
- Cartagena
- Capture Colonies
- New Fort and Port models
- ?

Since we haven't had a trailer since Beta 2, ALL new content since that time would be fair game to be shown.
I'll try to come up with a list of suggestions a bit later.

Personally I quite like the trailer you see in the main menu when you leave it open and also the Beta 2 trailer that Legendary Spider did.
Perhaps some sort of a vague story could be used as well? So there's some progression? Or at least group similar content together.
For example, shots of ships sailing, ships fighting, boardings and land stuff. Perhaps some texts to show what you're seeing too.

okay, that sounds good to me. So if we need all new cool content since beta2... uhm :D I joined you when I played Beta2.5 so :shrug :D

We need in every case a cool shotgun-mode-trailer :D

So as for a list....

Unique new ship models:
. Chinese Junk "Empress"
. Prince de Neufchatel
. Postillionen
. Frigate 'Rossiya'
. French Heavy Sloop of War 'Volage'
. USS Essex 1799
. Trinity 2nd Rate
. Aurora class Frigate/Fast Merchantmen
. HMS Centurion 1732
. Arcadia Xebec

Character models:
. Blackbeard

New/improved features:
. CannonFX v3.0 mod
. Completely redone worldmap
. Capture Colonies
. Prisoner Ransoming
. Spanish Treasure Fleet
. Treasure Quests
. Cartagena accessible
. Curse of Cortez
. Clint Eastwood/Shotgun Mode

Updated interfaces:
. Select Storyline
. Map Interface
. Nations Relations
. Custom Flag/Sail Selection

Those are probably the most "visual" of the new things. Obviously there's a lot more, but that is hard to show in a short trailer.
Can be mentioned in some text messages though.

Perhaps some sort of a vague story could be used as well? So there's some progression?
For example:

- Start showing Main Menu>Start New Game, then customize the player character to something people might recognize
- Select a small ship to start with, such as the Arcadia Xebec and show her moored in port

- Show Map Interface with various quests active, then zoom in on the treasure quest
- Back to sea with a sea battle involving enemy pirates
- Walking on shore, fight in the jungle, uncovering a buried treasure

- Set sail with a somewhat bigger boat; Prince de Neufchatel/Essex
- Couple of shots of Spanish Galleons being encountered, followed by some ship battle and boarding shots
- Talk with captured captain in the cargo hold

- Reload to worldmap and show the approach to Cartagena there
- Upgrade to proper big ship, maybe Centurion and/or Trinity and attack the Cartagena fort
- Couple of shots of fighting in the fort and in the town, followed by the surrendered governor and a quick shot of assigning a new governor of your own
- Then show various of the locations in the town, along with the personal soldiers and flag on the port/fort

- Show Mr. Gibbs in the Tortuga tavern, then zoom in on the Isla de Muerta icon on the worldmap (but DON'T show where it is!!!)
- Reload to the cave with treasure and show contents of the chest
- Shots of being a skeleton at night in a town, fighting with town guards
- Ship with torn sails and trailing fog, battling other ships
- Night boarding action with cursed crew
- Reload to Vanderdecken's shipyard
- Show FLEET of cursed ships
- If you want, show the Dutchman effects again as well (even though that's technically a Beta 2 feature and was already shown in that trailer)

Inbetween, add various shots of different ships with different sails/flags/nations sailing at sea at different times of day in sight of land or out at sea.
Maybe some spyglass shots too. And possibly also show some quick shots of the various storylines' main characters doing things on land.

Couple of things you can make use of:
- F9 to hide On-Screen Display (of course)
- Free Camera Mode at the bottom of PROGRAM\InternalSettings.h
- Ctrl+Left/Right Arrow Keys at sea to centre the camera on other ships than the player one: Easy way of showing a greater variety

Those are just some thoughts. It's up to you to do what you want with that. I'll be really looking forward to seeing what it'll be!
If it turns out well, perhaps we can put it in the game when you leave the main menu running instead of that stock game trailer.
That's a bit out-dated, is it not? :razz

ahh one question about F9.. if I press it, some keys don't react anymore... can I do something about that? Then I could play the whole time I'm recording without interfaces (Unless we want to show something with them)

You mean like you need to use various menu's? Nope, those don't work with F9.
Anyway, it's not a big problem if you occasionally do show it. The Beta 2 trailer showed the occasional menu too.

Back