• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Need Help beta3 - How to install?

JadenTrent

Powder Monkey
So, I've recently found out about Build 14 Beta 3 and, and being a huge fan of New horizons, i naturally went after it.

Having downloaded it, i have no clue what to do with the data and how to upgrade my game version. Up until now I could always find a Readme that told me what to do; and after having replaced all the old data with the new in my game folder, there was a programme to click witch would... (well, whatever it did) 'make the replaced files work' and disappear from the game folder afterwards.

I cant find any of this in my Build14 Beta3 full (not 3.1, but the 7GB one)

My previous version was B14 beta 2.1

I did the one thing that seemed logical, and overwrote my old game folder with everything there was to find in b14_beta3_full
then tried to start by pressing engine.exe and it didnt work. ("abnormal program termination")

so where is the trick here? what do i have to do with all of these files?

i have a backup of my previous PotC Build14 beta 2.1 in case i did irreversible damage. so how to put those data into my game?

Last edited:
1. Make sure you have a working vanilla POTC installed.

2. Create a folder to hold the Beta 3.1 installer files.

3. Go to MODDB and download both the beta 3.1 Part 1 and Beta 3.1 Part 2 and put them in that folder.

4. In that folder, click on the installer.exe and then point it to your POTC install.

5. Play POTC!

It has been a while since I have done this and I do not remember if there is anything to unzip.

The idea was that the installation should be as simple as it possibly can be.
So you just throw both Part 1 and Part 2 in the same folder, execute the EXE installer and that should take care of everything.
No need for manual unzipping of anything.

For some reason these simple instructions are hard to find. There is a steady stream of people getting it wrong.

Feel free to add it to the ModDB descriptions/forum FAQ as required.
I didn't really bother with Beta 3 because I have no clue how to make it more straightforward anyway.
Also.... people tend not to read it. :facepalm

Back