• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Black Pearl and QAR Progress

The Queen Anne's Revenge is looking really good, if you want to get rid of my original circles on the stern and replace them entirely with proper detailed ones that's fine by me. Is there anything new on the Pearl or was she done a while ago? :gday

Hmmm. There's an idea, Armada. We could just get rid of BM's rings and just use the textured ones. What say you? I'm kinda 50/50 on it.

BM, as for the Pearl, I'm just putting finishing touches on her, save for one last Pearl project: her figurehead. I'm upgrading it to make it look more statuesque as well as trying to give her a nicer face.

Armada, don't let me forget to do the masts of both the Pearl and Revenge, because I haven't touched those yet. :keith
I won't, don't worry. Nice work on the bow, BTW. :onya

I noticed you added what I assume to be the 'gunports' for the Greek fire, but the UV mapping has distorted them to look like ovals.
Would some separate, basic circles be a good idea for them?

Could someone please post woodGrainU1.tga and fightdeck2.tga?
Here you go: http://www.pyratesahoy.com/potc/Experienced%20Captain/Textures_for_LS.7z
Back-ups are the way to go. Never underestimate the chances of your work going horribly wrong and needing to start again... that's happened to me a couple of times, now. :facepalm

Hmmm. There's an idea, Armada. We could just get rid of BM's rings and just use the textured ones. What say you? I'm kinda 50/50 on it.
I'm not sure. I think he meant more like remodelling the rings to add 3D detail, but I'm not sure the extra geometry is necessary.
I'd rather see how these rings with the texture plane look in-game first, and we can decide what to do from there. Would that be better?

BM, as for the Pearl, I'm just putting finishing touches on her, save for one last Pearl project: her figurehead. I'm upgrading it to make it look more statuesque as well as trying to give her a nicer face.
Are you sure you're finished already? I'm still unconvinced that the planking on the hull has been improved enough; the image quality still doesn't look clear enough, to me.
Would you be able to use a photo of the hull to redo that part of the texture? It might look pretty impressive, if done well, and should increase the image quality. :keith

We have actually considered looking into flamethrower mechanics, so that might be a possibility in the future. It would be pretty cool, to say the least! :yes
For now, though, we just need to focus on finishing the model and textures to the highest quality.

In reply to Armada, I did mean take my ones off the model and just have the detailed ones, just seems a bit pointless to have those really nice rings and then my simple ones sticking out like a sore thumb

i think you could just use gunpowder. not completely accurate, but it's close enough.

morgan,take a look how my gunpowder.........
i better wait for someone to make the flamethrower mechanics xD:

Attachments

• flame louncher.jpg
    flame louncher.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 173
The Revenge will be fantastic! :woot Come on mateys! :onya The flamethrower is a very good idea! :onya I'm curious... ;)

I noticed you added what I assume to be the 'gunports' for the Greek fire, but the UV mapping has distorted them to look like ovals.

Actually, the UV maps did not distort them one bit. That's exactly how they look on the real ship. See?

[attachment=7171:628px-QAR_sailingPromo.jpg]

In fact, that's the very photo I used to stick them on.

Here you go: http://www.pyratesah...tures_for_LS.7z
Back-ups are the way to go. Never underestimate the chances of your work going horribly wrong and needing to start again... that's happened to me a couple of times, now. :facepalm
Thanks Mate.
me.gif

I'd rather see how these rings with the texture plane look in-game first, and we can decide what to do from there. Would that be better?

I guess we can try it and see. But BM DID mean taking the rings off, he said.

Are you sure you're finished already? I'm still unconvinced that the planking on the hull has been improved enough; the image quality still doesn't look clear enough, to me.
Would you be able to use a photo of the hull to redo that part of the texture? It might look pretty impressive, if done well, and should increase the image quality. :keith

Oh no no no, I never said I was finished.
icon_wink.gif
I actually already had in mind what you suggested. Originally, I had just darkened the Pearl's hull, but with the Revenge, I covered her hull with photo reference of the real QAR's hull, so I had actually already planned on doing that for the Pearl.
keith.gif

Actually, the UV maps did not distort them one bit. That's exactly how they look on the real ship. See?

guys...........
i dont want to piss off but did you noticed the lil skeletons over the bigone(like climbing on his back)?
for the future(i dont want to give you guys more work xD:),i hope there will be chains too around the skeletons(like in the first photo in the first post of page 22 of this topic)xD: xD: xD: xD:
:j3
thpirateshipff.gif

guys...........
i dont want to piss off but did you noticed the lil skeletons over the bigone(like climbing on his back)?
for the future(i dont want to give you guys more work xD:),i hope there will be chains too around the skeletons(like in the first photo in the first post of page 22 of this topic)xD: xD: xD: xD:
:j3
thpirateshipff.gif

I DID notice that, but was afraid to bring it up. lol Hmmm. Maybe Armada can make another flat surface on the devil's back for the little skeleton. Should be pretty simple.

As for the chains, I noticed that as well, but I think that falls into the modeling department and idk if Armada is willing to do that.
dunno.gif

She's not ready for a screenie, but I'm giving the Pearl's figurehead a much needed makeover. She's looking pretty good. Much crisper detail. She's got better hair and now has a more recognizable and prettier face.
me.gif

lets se LS
I DIDNT know that youve already DID noticed that(now i remember youre a very acurate guy :onya)xD:
keep up with the good job

i'm still stuck on the problem of not burning your own bowsprit off.
I think we'd need to use different locators further down the hull for a flamethrower, since the bow chasers wouldn't be ideal, as you pointed out. xD:

OK, I'll shut up then. Heck, it's less work for me, so I'm not complaining. :cheeky

I guess we can try it and see. But BM DID mean taking the rings off, he said.
Yeah, that was my mistake assuming he didn't mean that. :eek:ops
I'll get the latest Revenge fully functional today so we (meaning you, since you have the textures) can test this out.

Oh no no no, I never said I was finished. ;) I actually already had in mind what you suggested.
Then I can't wait to see the result! :woot

Maybe Armada can make another flat surface on the devil's back for the little skeleton. Should be pretty simple.

As for the chains, I noticed that as well, but I think that falls into the modeling department and idk if Armada is willing to do that. :shrug
Yes to the first, not sure about the second. We'll see.

Gah . . . I stayed up all night working on the Pearl's figurehead. I need some sleep. I'll hop back on the two ships as soon as I wake up in a few hours.
urgh.gif

Armada, it'll be nice to be able to finally test the QAR in the game and see how she looks with in-game lighting.
me.gif

Oh . . . whoever did the new Black Pearl sails, you need to post those so I can add them to my textures and see how it all looks in-game. I can't even remember who did that. You know who you are. lol
rolleyes.gif
Just post the TGA or TX file please.

And as for tomorrow . . . I'm taking a well-deserved break for the entire day and night and going to Disneyland with that girl you've heard so much about. Too bad Pirates is closed till November. They're refurbishing it and adding some more movie content I believe. I heard rumor of mermaids . . .

Right, here's a working QAR v1.2, available from the same place as last time: http://www.pyratesah...R_v1.2%20WIP.7z
I've just updated the file containing the hull and original 'extras' texture, so be sure NOT to overwrite anything you've done to 'QAR_Extras.tga'.
This is identical to the original 1.2, but with locators. I'll make the new modifications for v1.3 soon.

To those who want to use this ship as is, remember there will be black patches in some places until LS releases his textures.

Back