• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Black Pearl and QAR Progress

And trying to find a job and trying to bring in money. Speaking of which, looks like I'll be homeless for real shortly after Halloween. Guess I'd better get those updates and what not finished. Who knows how limited my internet access will become.
dunno.gif
I don't recall there being any other updates you were expected to do, were there? :?

Anyway, more importantly, that's devastating news about your situation. I really hope you can find a way to make things work out, mate. :(

Anyway, more importantly, that's devastating news about your situation. I really hope you can find a way to make things work out, mate. :(

Thanks. Me too.

Happy Halloween to my P.A. friends!
keith.gif

[attachment=7423:SnapShot(10).jpg]

Notes on the Wicked Wench:

"A work of art with graceful gilded lilies and scroll work emblazoned on her bow and stern, and gilded railings on her gunwales. A golden dream of a vessel..."

"Woefully under-gunned: only six big guns (12 pounders) on both the port and starboard sides of her main deck, then two smaller guns, six-pounders, on her weather deck, and, finally, three small swivel guns topside, one fore and the other two on her quarterdeck."
Jack Sparrow later gets two more big guns added before she's taken into service proper, making for 8 guns each side of which 7 12-pounders and 1 6-pounder.

The captain's cabin was painted in very bright colours by Jack Sparrow, because he likes those.

Also, as is later mentioned, the Wicked Wench did NOT have a figurehead. The Black Pearl's figurehead was added by Davy Jones when he raised the burnt Wench from the bottom of the sea.

I recall there was something about her paint scheme, but I cannot find it now. Maybe I made that up. :modding

Interesting... looks like they've got a Wicked Wench and Black Pearl for Virtual Sailor* also: http://www.hangsim.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=3917&sid=cbb9f423f99e26a2a89edc136b0633a6
That Wicked Wench paint scheme there looks strangely familiar. And NOT from the "official" Wicked Wench paint scheme as seen on the paper model and such.
If ye get me meaning...

* = If you don't remember or never knew in the first place, Virtual Sailor was the game I was very much involved in before I came here.

Wow, interesting info on the Wicked Wench, Pieter. I'm especially surprised about the figurehead!
It's probably possible to give her the exact number of guns in the positions described, if people want her to be that accurate.
I'm not sure I follow the note about the extra guns Jack added; is that now 8 guns either side in total or just on the main deck, to clarify?

Interesting... looks like they've got a Wicked Wench and Black Pearl for Virtual Sailor* also: http://www.hangsim.c...89edc136b0633a6
That Wicked Wench paint scheme there looks strangely familiar. And NOT from the "official" Wicked Wench paint scheme as seen on the paper model and such.
If ye get me meaning...
Hmm, I guess they must have 'borrowed' it from *somewhere*... "Bloody pirates!" :walkplank

Personally I can't imagine people to care much about accuracy in this case; I don't expect many people to have read the book, let alone to remember the exact number of cannons.
But what I make of it is 8 12-pounders and 1 6-pounder on each side, making for 16 12-pounders and 2 6-pounders in total, giving her 18 guns not counting the swivels.
As usual, she doesn't have bow or stern chasers; not 100% sure about the bow chasers,
but she's specifically mentioned to not have stern chasers in the book because at one point Jack needs some and has the crew move one of the guns into his cabin.

Indeed the figurehead surprised me as well; don't know why they did that, but it says that most clearly at the end of the book. :shrug

Well I think getting the number and max calibre of guns more or less correct would still be nice anyway. Makes her more than just a repaint of the Pearl.
Maybe I could move the stern chasers into the cabin, to keep that capability for the player. The bow chasers could be kept too.
That makes 22 guns plus three swivels, which is reasonable I'd say.

About the paint scheme: if no description was given after all, then should we just go with a polished version of the current one?
I'll leave that question open to everyone, so suggestions are welcome.

Yay! The next pain in my ass sounds like it's almost ready for me.
icon_mrgreen1.gif
lol

So do you think you can remove the figurehead for the WW?

Alright I fixed the issue with the Un-cursed and Cursed Pearls sailing around half sunk. Now they're good.
me.gif

And I installed the BP and QAR update you gave me Armada. But what do I do with the WRL file? Was that for me or Bonjourmonami?
dunno.gif

And now I need to to the texture tweaks for the 4 versions. How do that? Like how do I tell it to use the clean BP texture for the Un-cursed Pearl instead of the current dirty one?

not too sure about removing the figurehead, if Davy jones added it after he raised her, why would it be an angel holding a bird and nothing to do with a pearl? :shrug

Maybe we should have the angel on the WW holding a bird and on the BP holding a winged pearl? Just a thought.

not too sure about removing the figurehead, if Davy jones added it after he raised her, why would it be an angel holding a bird and nothing to do with a pearl? :shrug
Maybe we should have the angel on the WW holding a bird and on the BP holding a winged pearl? Just a thought.
Why? NO clue. But the movies show clearly the angel holding the bird on the actual Black Pearl, so I don't think we should change the real Black Pearl's figurehead.
I imagine the figurehead was added to more clearly indicate the freedom that the Black Pearl represents to Jack, which the Wicked Wench did to a certain extent but not fully because she never was a pirate ship.

That would just be weird. Just leave it as a bird. Otherwise people are gonna think we're doing some Harry Potter crossover and that the angel is holding a snitch. lol
icon_mrgreen1.gif

Besides, that would contradict your whole motivation to make the Black Pearl as accurate as possible.

As for your question about the name, supposedly the Black Pearl is named after a parable in the Bible called "The Pearl of Great Price". And Jack sells his soul to Jones in trade for 13 years as captain of the Black Pearl. PEARL of great PRICE. And she's black. Get it?
icon_wink.gif

Its tie to the Bible might also explain the presence of the angel in the first place.

Ok I did the texture tweaks for the Cursed and Un-cursed Pearl. But I'm not sure how to get the code to use them. I can view the ships just fine in GM viewer. Do I need to change something in Ships_Init.C?

Armada, in addition to all the tweaks you need to do for the damaged Pearl, you also need to do something about the stern decoration here. The intertwined tails of Poseidon and the sea monster need some work as you can see.

[attachment=7444:Fullscreen capture 1132011 53313 AM.jpg]

Also, I was successful in finding a way to transfer your holes for the cursed sails to my solid black ones.
me.gif

I do believe you called me "clever".
rolleyes.gif

Yep. I rule. Armada said so.
icon_mrgreen1.gif
lol

Can anyone advise me if it's a good idea for compilation purposes to install the new Black Pearl and Queen Anne's Revenge yet or better wait for the new, newer, newest versions?
Also, are there any old unused model and/or texture files that should not be included in new modpack versions?

Can anyone advise me if it's a good idea for compilation purposes to install the new Black Pearl and Queen Anne's Revenge yet or better wait for the new, newer, newest versions?
Also, are there any old unused model and/or texture files that should not be included in new modpack versions?

Might be better to wait. Both ships have have received updates since I released them. I think the QAR might finally be done, but the Pearl is currently undergoing tweaking. Primarily the damaged one.

Back