• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Black Pearl and QAR Progress

So do you think you can remove the figurehead for the WW?
Yep, that's easy enough.

Alright I fixed the issue with the Un-cursed and Cursed Pearls sailing around half sunk. Now they're good.
me.gif
What turned out to be the problem?

Ok I did the texture tweaks for the Cursed and Un-cursed Pearl. But I'm not sure how to get the code to use them. I can view the ships just fine in GM viewer. Do I need to change something in Ships_Init.C?
For each different hull texture, you need a separate model folder.
So, you'll need to copy the Pearl to a second folder, rename it, and change the ships_init entry line "refShip.Name" to match the new folder name.

Armada, in addition to all the tweaks you need to do for the damaged Pearl, you also need to do something about the stern decoration here. The intertwined tails of Poseidon and the sea monster need some work as you can see.

[attachment=7444:Fullscreen capture 1132011 53313 AM.jpg]
Eh? Which version of the Pearl is that? I can't see the same problem on the version I've got. :?

Also, I was successful in finding a way to transfer your holes for the cursed sails to my solid black ones.
me.gif

I do believe you called me "clever".
rolleyes.gif

Yep. I rule. Armada said so.
icon_mrgreen1.gif
lol
You're almost as bad as a politician, manipulating my own words for your benefit. lol :slap

Alright I fixed the issue with the Un-cursed and Cursed Pearls sailing around half sunk. Now they're good.
me.gif
What turned out to be the problem?

Um well . . . Remember how the waterline is supposed to be -0.7? I kinda forgot the - . lol Shhhhhhhhhh shut up. Not a word.
whippa.gif
lol

Ok I did the texture tweaks for the Cursed and Un-cursed Pearl. But I'm not sure how to get the code to use them. I can view the ships just fine in GM viewer. Do I need to change something in Ships_Init.C?
So, you'll need to copy the Pearl to a second folder, rename it, and change the ships_init entry line "refShip.Name" to match the new folder name.

Ah ok. done.
me.gif

Armada, in addition to all the tweaks you need to do for the damaged Pearl, you also need to do something about the stern decoration here. The intertwined tails of Poseidon and the sea monster need some work as you can see.

[attachment=7444:Fullscreen capture 1132011 53313 AM.jpg]
Eh? Which version of the Pearl is that? I can't see the same problem on the version I've got. :?

That's the damaged Pearl.

Also, I was successful in finding a way to transfer your holes for the cursed sails to my solid black ones.
me.gif

I do believe you called me "clever".
rolleyes.gif

Yep. I rule. Armada said so.
icon_mrgreen1.gif
lol
You're almost as bad as a politician, manipulating my own words for your benefit. lol :slap

Oh please, you know I'm awesome.
razz.gif

Um well . . . Remember how the waterline is supposed to be -0.7? I kinda forgot the - . lol Shhhhhhhhhh shut up. Not a word.
whippa.gif
lol
I see... yep that sounds like it would mess things up. :cheeky

That's the damaged Pearl.
Oh, that would explain the difference, yes. I'll be putting together BM's new model files soon anyway, which will hopefully fix the problem.

Oh please, you know I'm awesome.
razz.gif
Well I know you're not modest, that's for sure... xD:

Ugh. Now every time I try to load the cursed and un-cursed Pearl it hits me with a CTD. And I hit F11.
modding.gif

What did I do wrong? I did exactly what you said.

Ugh. Now every time I try to load the cursed and un-cursed Pearl it hits me with a CTD. And I hit F11.
modding.gif

Ah, did you rename the contents of the folder to match the new name? You should do, but I forgot to mention it. My bad. :facepalm
It will cause a CTD if the folder name doesn't match the model names and the refShip.Name line.

Did anyone make saolorpoints or walk files for QAR?
No, not yet. I considered it a lower priority than actually working on the model, plus everything else I'm doing at the moment.
Does anyone else know how to make sailorspoints files? I think some modellers do, if I'm right...

I will make them if you wish and then convert them to a walk file so both games get them. Does that sound good to you?

I still think we need to combine both mods into one PoTC Build Mod + CoAS GoF Mod for CoAS since there are more limitations in PoTC with the old storm engine such as no lights at night on ships, then we could combine all efforts instead of being divided. But I think we are still trying to work out the CoAS Storm Engin bugs, which we could all join efforts in working out and help Pirate KK. when we crack it, then we would have a united mod team. Oh well, I can keep on wishing and dreaming.
icon_wink.gif

If you can make the sailorspoints, that would be great. Thanks mate. :doff

I know we've probably said this before, but we need to get Build 14's content finished and polished before merging with GOF, and of course there are bugs to iron out in GOF, too.
I would certainly love to see our work merged and our mod teams united; we could really produce some fantastic content that way! :keith

I know we've probably said this before, but we need to get Build 14's content finished and polished before merging with GOF, and of course there are bugs to iron out in GOF, too.
I would certainly love to see our work merged and our mod teams united; we could really produce some fantastic content that way! :keith
I've been in agreement for years. :doff

modding.gif

Ah, did you rename the contents of the folder to match the new name? You should do, but I forgot to mention it. My bad. :facepalm
It will cause a CTD if the folder name doesn't match the model names and the refShip.Name line.

NO. lol You kinda forgot to mention that. Dork.
slap.gif

Well it's not CTD'ing anymore, but now it's just using the regular BP hull instead of the modified ones I made for the cured and pre curse versions. What am I doing wrong now?
dunno.gif

NO. lol You kinda forgot to mention that. Dork.
slap.gif
Well I was trying to recall what to do from memory, which is never very reliable these days. :urgh

Well it's not CTD'ing anymore, but now it's just using the regular BP hull instead of the modified ones I made for the cured and pre curse versions. What am I doing wrong now?
dunno.gif
I don't know this time. I'm still trying to visualise what you've done so far.
Go with what Pieter said, and post your code entries for each ship.

Never mind. It um . . . seems I forgot to save the changes I made in ShipsInit.C . . . AHEM. ANYWAY.
rolleyes.gif

Here's the 3 Pearls each has some slight differences. The Un-cursed Pearl is nice and clean whole solid sails. The post-curse Pearl is dirty with patched sails/ The cursed pearl is even dirtier with ripped sails and a darker figurehead. Idk what do you think? Suggestions? I'm gonna do a different hull for the Damaged Pearl as well with battle damage and such.

Pre-curse:

[attachment=7450:moddingNGINE 2011-11-04 16-42-00-42.jpg]

Cursed:

[attachment=7451:moddingNGINE 2011-11-04 16-43-55-41.jpg]

Post-curse:

[attachment=7452:moddingNGINE 2011-11-04 16-32-08-57.jpg]

Ah, that explains a lot! Been there, done that. :facepalm

Some differences are nice, though on the other hand it is not going to work wonders on the filesize of the modpack.
Though to be fair, modpack size is pretty messed up as it is; it's going to be huge whatever we do! :rofl

How many textures are you changing per Pearl version? And how big are they? Just for a rough idea...

I do think that since we've got different versions code in for different purposes in the story, they might as well not look identical either.
Nice job, mate! :onya

Ah, that explains a lot! Been there, done that. :facepalm

Some differences are nice, though on the other hand it is not going to work wonders on the filesize of the modpack.
Though to be fair, modpack size is pretty messed up as it is; it's going to be huge whatever we do! :rofl

How many textures are you changing per Pearl version? And how big are they? Just for a rough idea...

I do think that since we've got different versions code in for different purposes in the story, they might as well not look identical either.
Nice job, mate! :onya

Uh . . . I'll have to get back to you on the file size. How do I find that out exactly? I'll be doing some damage textures to the damaged Pearl when Armada fishes up with it. I can't even test it out in the game right now because it has no ShipsInit.C entry.
dunno.gif

I can't think of anything else that's going on with the QAR. Should I just send you everything to do with that?
readon.gif

Do those sails look good to you? Something about the way they look is pissing me off.
urgh.gif

Are those patched Black Pearl sails the ones we've got in the modpack already or are they new versions?
It seems the resolution isn't too brilliant, based on that one screenshot... :?

Are those patched Black Pearl sails the ones we've got in the modpack already or are they new versions?
It seems the resolution isn't too brilliant, based on that one screenshot... :?

It's a new one. Made by FKWOLF555 to better match the films. I modified his design slightly and took out the vertical lines.

Armada said something about resolution a while back, but it went over my head.
dunno.gif

It's a new one. Made by FKWOLF555 to better match the films. I modified his design slightly and took out the vertical lines.

Armada said something about resolution a while back, but it went over my head.
dunno.gif
Is it really that hard to change the image size in Photoshop? :? The larger the image size, the larger the resolution... and 2048x2048 pixels is the absolute limit for the Storm Engine.
Resolution is just how much of an image your eye can actually recognise, so essentially it's the same as image quality.

The one problem I noticed with your hull textures for the Pearl and Revenge is that they're still only 1024x1024 pixels in size.
I'm sure I mentioned that you could increase the size to 2048x2048, which gives the image four times as many pixels.
That gives you the potential to make the image look sharper, but only if you redo some parts of it. I thought you did that, but perhaps not.
Having said that, I'm NOT suggesting you go back and redo the textures again, because they're still perfectly fine as they are.

How big are the sail textures, going by the number of pixels? The biggest we tend to use is 512x512, because anything bigger is unnecessary.
All Pieter was saying is that the sails look like they aren't as clear as they could be, but that might be the screenshot making them look less detailed.

Back