• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Black Pearl and QAR Progress

It a supernatural ship. It's above the laws of normal physics. lol
icon_mrgreen1.gif
I always wondered in the movies how the Dutchman moved around underwater, but they only give you a VERY brief glimpse of it underwater in DMC.

Idk if the uncursed Dutchman ever goes underwater. You see it pop out of the water at the end of AWE, but that's also as it's curse is breaking before our eyes. After that it just teleports twice via green flash.
readon.gif

So whether or not to make the uncursed version submergable is up to us I guess. It still seems to be a supernatural ship, so I like to think it can submerge. But that's just me.

We're already adding superpowers to these ships. I just don't want them to become overly overpowered. Still needs to be interesting to sail with them, right?
Otherwise the "tricks" will get old real fast.

We're already adding superpowers to these ships. I just don't want them to become overly overpowered. Still needs to be interesting to sail with them, right?
Otherwise the "tricks" will get old real fast.

I think we should do your idea to re-load the cannons when you come out of the water. Makes sense to me.
me.gif

Ugh. Even sitting still, the flamethrower is off.
dunno.gif

Is this as good as you can get it? This might be one that we have to do without.
mybad.gif

If that doesn't work out, I know the QAR gets a quick burst of speed from Blackbeard's sword. Could always try a speed boost thing like we were tossing around for the cursed Pearl. Idk just a thought.

[attachment=7539:moddingNGINE 2011-11-18 05-44-21-34.jpg]

Well if someone taught me how, I could make additional locators since nobody wants to do it. I'm willing to learn.
me.gif
OK then, you asked for it! :dance
Even if this turns out to be useless for the flamethrowers, it's still good for getting you familiar with locators.

What you're aiming for is illustrated below:
Move_locators1.jpg
In GM Viewer, use the settings highlighted in the green box on that screenie to help see where the locators are.

Now, in Inez Dias' TOOL, open the QAR hull model and look at the image below:
Move_locators2.jpg
Follow the steps to open the locators screen, and change the Y values to something smaller. You can get it exact by trial and error and checking GM Viewer.
You might also need to change the X and Z coordinates slightly, but that's down to your judgement.

Every time you change anything in the locators screen, you must press "Apply changes" and then "Save GM" in the main window.
And a word of warning: DO NOT minimise TOOL at any point! It tends to crash if the window is minimised, for some bizarre reason.

I think that's all there is to it. If something goes wrong, either my instructions are terrible or I've forgotten something. Or you didn't read it properly. :razz

And the flamethrower has issues. As you can see.
rolleyes.gif
Isn't there any way to make the fire shoot from a fixed point on the ship? Once you fire it, it trails back into the cabin like flare.
This has got me thinking. Pieter, would it be possible to use the fire locators, at all?
From what I gather, they're used to emit flame effects which move with the ship, so maybe there's a way of manipulating some specific ones to work as flamethrowers.
Or if not, would it be possible to make the bow chasers act like the fire locators? I know this could get horrendously complicated, but it's something to think about.

It a supernatural ship. It's above the laws of normal physics. lol
icon_mrgreen1.gif
Funny you should mention that. It seems the 'normal' laws of physics could be under threat in reality, thanks to this neutrino experiment: http://www.bbc.co.uk...onment-15791236
Seems they caught some particles 'speeding', except it's the laws that are in trouble, not the particles. Imagine applying that to the cars... xD:

888e7326dbc9.jpg

lights,l001,1,0,0,0,1,0,0,0,1,1.919833,6.917945,12.42438,1,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,
lights,l002,1,0,0,0,1,0,0,0,1,-1.924705,6.886255,12.42931,1,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,
lights,l003,1,0,0,0,1,0,0,0,1,5.114695,5.063755,1.226632,1,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,
lights,l004,1,0,0,0,1,0,0,0,1,-5.113198,5.066156,1.234491,1,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,
lights,l005,1,0,0,0,1,0,0,0,1,4.974298,5.098934,-3.945575,1,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,
lights,l006,1,0,0,0,1,0,0,0,1,-4.975438,5.078289,-3.943811,1,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,
lights,l007,1,0,0,0,1,0,0,0,1,4.418972,7.660043,-12.06188,1,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,
lights,l008,1,0,0,0,1,0,0,0,1,-4.420274,7.648194,-12.06224,1,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,
lights,l009,1,0,0,0,1,0,0,0,1,4.165438,12.56931,-17.17392,1,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,
lights,l0010,1,0,0,0,1,0,0,0,1,-4.166374,12.56227,-17.17424,1,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,
lights,l0011,1,0,0,0,1,0,0,0,1,2.106153,15.37506,-24.37677,1,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,
lights,l0012,1,0,0,0,1,0,0,0,1,-2.105405,15.37209,-24.37183,1,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,
lights,l0013,1,0,0,0,1,0,0,0,1,0.00995421,11.41938,-27.68243,1,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,
lights,l0014,1,0,0,0,1,0,0,0,1,0.7,5.29,19.43,1,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,

c6426f6d3cb5.jpg

I think we should do your idea to re-load the cannons when you come out of the water. Makes sense to me.
me.gif
Already did that. :doff

Ugh. Even sitting still, the flamethrower is off.
dunno.gif

Is this as good as you can get it? This might be one that we have to do without.
mybad.gif
Is that because of the pitching of the ship? Figures. It'd probably help to make the effect last a lot shorter.

If that doesn't work out, I know the QAR gets a quick burst of speed from Blackbeard's sword. Could always try a speed boost thing like we were tossing around for the cursed Pearl. Idk just a thought.
Suppose we could do that. Damn, why did they ever come up with SO MANY different stupid supernatural things?
I don't even LIKE that stuff; it's SILLY. It's like a computer game with a dozen cheatmodes made into a movie. :whipa

This has got me thinking. Pieter, would it be possible to use the fire locators, at all?
From what I gather, they're used to emit flame effects which move with the ship, so maybe there's a way of manipulating some specific ones to work as flamethrowers.
Or if not, would it be possible to make the bow chasers act like the fire locators? I know this could get horrendously complicated, but it's something to think about.
I have NO clue how to set the fireplace locators on fire. I tried when I wanted to simulate the burning of the Wicked Wench in the Jack Sparrow storyline.
Had to settle for continuous explosions instead. Couldn't make the ship sink while you're ashore either. :facepalm
I like your thinking, but have no clue how to make it work. :(

I like your thinking, but have no clue how to make it work. :(
Darn, I thought as much. At least the bow chaser effects seem to work fairly well anyway. They're not perfect, but perfect is always difficult. :rolleyes:

As far as these things are concerned, I care more about getting the point across than it looking perfect.
We're dealing with a game engine that never was made for these things, so if we manage to deal with the game engine limitations and still get the point across, that already makes me very happy.
Of course if we CAN make things look good, that'd be even better. :wp

The bow chaser effect will probably look better when we move the locators down, because the effect Legendary Spider observed wouldn't be so pronounced, since the emission point would move into the hull.
Then we can make it last shorter and that should help too. And then it'll be time to see if I can make the QAR's bow chasers set other ships on fire.

The bow chaser effect will probably look better when we move the locators down, because the effect Legendary Spider observed wouldn't be so pronounced, since the emission point would move into the hull.
Then we can make it last shorter and that should help too. And then it'll be time to see if I can make the QAR's bow chasers set other ships on fire.
Aye, aye, setting other ships on fire would be the next big step.
The only problem I can see with all this is how the player can pull this stunt without knocking off their bowsprit too. Might be difficult. xD:

Armada, you should install that update I posted. I see your QAR has the wrong colors. I'm not sure how that got messed up. Must've been an error on my part. I think I'll stick that update up so people can download it.

http://www.pyratesahoy.com/potc/Legendary_Spider/RESOURCE.7z

Aye, aye, setting other ships on fire would be the next big step.
The only problem I can see with all this is how the player can pull this stunt without knocking off their bowsprit too. Might be difficult. xD:
Whahaha! Depends on what range we'll end up getting with the lowered bow chaser locators.

I've figured out how that stupid mini sail works. It gets bigger when you face into the wind and smaller when you go with the wind. Can we make it even smaller? It really looks tacky.
dunno.gif

When you're going with the wind, it's almost invisible.

Armada, I made the value on the locator smaller, but when I hit apply changes and save gm and reloaded in GM viewer, it didn't move anywhere.
dunno.gif

Armada, you should install that update I posted. I see your QAR has the wrong colors.
Sorted now, thanks. :onya

I've figured out how that stupid mini sail works. It gets bigger when you face into the wind and smaller when you go with the wind. Can we make it even smaller? It really looks tacky.
dunno.gif

I thought Hylie fixed that sail at some point. It was down to the locators' sail type, for some reason.
The sail can't be made any smaller, otherwise we get disappearing sails like we had originally. :modding

Armada, I made the value on the locator smaller, but when I hit apply changes and save gm and reloaded in GM viewer, it didn't move anywhere.
dunno.gif
Are you sure? You were definitely modifying the same model in the same folder that was displayed in GM Viewer?
I just tried and it works fine for me. Try a Y value of 1.5, which seems about right. I can't think why it shouldn't work, unless you're not viewing the same model as the one you modified.

dunno.gif

I thought Hylie fixed that sail at some point. It was down to the locators' sail type, for some reason.
The sail can't be made any smaller, otherwise we get disappearing sails like we had originally. :modding

So there's nothing that can be done?
dunno.gif
At all?
I've contacted Hylie to see if he can send me that file again. I just wanna try installing it again just in case something went screwy while installing Patch 7.

dunno.gif
Are you sure? You were definitely modifying the same model in the same folder that was displayed in GM Viewer?
I just tried and it works fine for me. Try a Y value of 1.5, which seems about right. I can't think why it shouldn't work, unless you're not viewing the same model as the one you modified.

I just tried it and nothing is happening.
modding.gif
Yes it's the same model.

dunno.gif
At all?
I've no idea, to be honest. If different sail types don't work, either we have to put up with a mini-sail or a static yard.

I just tried it and nothing is happening.
modding.gif
Yes it's the same model.
Darn, what's missing? I don't get it. :?

Pieter, can you check that my instructions to LS make sense, and try moving the locators yourself?

dunno.gif
At all?
I've no idea, to be honest. If different sail types don't work, either we have to put up with a mini-sail or a static yard.

Which do you think would be best? It's not too noticeable unless you're sailing into the wind, zoomed all the way in, and have the camera facing at the bow. I guess most people wouldn't notice. It's like a neon sign to me. lol
urgh.gif

Well for realistic rigging behaviour, we need the yard to move. This just happens to be the most awkward bowsprit sail on any ship, which is why it's a pain.
Normally, the lower yard can just be attached to the upper yard with a locator IF they're both linked to a vertical mast. Here we have the lower yard on an inclined mast, so it doesn't work.

I think the mini-sail is probably the best compromise, because let's be honest, most people hopefully won't notice it. :wp
We've just become accustomed to picking out every last detail, but to the untrained eye it should be less obvious.

Back