• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Black Pearl and QAR Progress

Well this sucks.
I'm trying to fix it, you know. Just revert to the original rigging until this problem been sorted out.
I didn't expect things to get this complicated. :facepalm

@ Hylie, I guess the fact that the rope locator groups for both ships are named after the nautical terms, and not the model names, doesn't help.
Trouble is, I'm at a loss as to exactly where the problem lies. Maybe you could have a look yourself and see if you can find anything wrong? :shrug
You'd only need the original files from the initial release, plus the latest update I posted. If we both check, we might have better luck.

Ok, I can look now. It's just the QAR? Are the initial release and latest update in this thread?

Despite what Armada stuck in my post, you WON'T need to make any code adjustments. I already did it for you guys and included the updated Ships_init.C file in the download.
me.gif

I wanted to make it as easy as possible for you.

THANKS GUYS, LS and ARMADA, FOR YOUR GREAT WORK!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :onya :onya :onya

Our pleasure, mate. Don't forget to thank FKWOLF555 for making the snazzy new sails, and of course, Bonjourmonami for modeling the new ship in the first place. :onya
Oh, that reminds me, we need to give credit to everyone who contributed:

Model work:
  • Bonjourmonami- initial rebuild of the Black Pearl, and first build of the Queen Anne's Revenge
  • Armada- UV remapping and other adjustments for both ships
  • Webstarmaier- Black Pearl's belfry
Texture work:
  • Legendary_Spider- majority of texture work for both ships
  • FKWOLF555- new patched sail texture
Other work:
  • Glogoglo- ported both ships to AoP:Caribbean Tales.
Does that cover everyone? It's important for the release notes when the ships are included in Build 14 Beta 2 or other mods.

Ok, I can look now. It's just the QAR? Are the initial release and latest update in this thread?
The initial files are here and the latest updates before the Pearl's release are here. :onya

@LS, about the code updates: if that's the case, it's important you mention which Build version the code is compatible for.
For instance, the Patch 6 version of ships_init.c is very different to Patch 7.

@LS, about the code updates: if that's the case, it's important you mention which Build version the code is compatible for.
For instance, the Patch 6 version of ships_init.c is very different to Patch 7.

Ugh. Idk. The Ships_init.C file I included has the whole bit you posted about the code on day 1.
dunno.gif

Won't it work?

Which version of the Build Mod do you have? That's the version your code works for, and it might not work for other versions.
That's why I posted the code separately so that people could install the ships for any recent version of Build 14.
It's only because ships_init.c is probably the most edited file in the game, because of the many ship changes which occur between patches.

Which version of the Build Mod do you have? That's the version your code works for, and it might not work for other versions.
That's why I posted the code separately so that people could install the ships for any recent version of Build 14.
It's only because ships_init.c is probably the most edited file in the game, because of the many ship changes which occur between patches.

I'm using Build 14 Beta 1 Patch 6.

I guess if there's gonna be a problem, you should stick that edit back in my post.
dunno.gif

Do you know for sure that there will even be a problem?

If it's Patch 6, then that should be fine for releasing the ship on ModDB, where that's the latest patch available. :yes

There will only be problems for those using Patch 7 WIP or anything older than Patch 6, because the whole ships_init.c will be replaced with code for a different version.
All you need to do is make a note telling users of other patches to ignore the ships_init.c file included, and instead to use the manual code installation. That will do. ;)

Well, I got the QAR models and textures installed but have not messed with the shipsinit.c. I'm using patch 7-2 with lots of mods.

Gave it a quick look in GMViewer and might have found the problem. Rey_a4 has all of its locators jammed into the middle. Is this a mini-sail?

If it's Patch 6, then that should be fine for releasing the ship on ModDB, where that's the latest patch available. :yes

There will only be problems for those using Patch 7 WIP or anything older than Patch 6, because the whole ships_init.c will be replaced with code for a different version.
All you need to do is make a note telling users of other patches to ignore the ships_init.c file included, and instead to use the manual code installation. That will do. ;)

I'll just pretend that that made sense. lol
rolleyes.gif

Oh screw it. I'm just gonna take the file out and let people fend for themselves.
mybad.gif
Stick that edit back into my one post; I'll go on FTP and ModDB and take out Ships_inti.C.

I thought we were skipping Patch 7 and going Beta 2? Did I miss Patch 7?
dunno.gif

There. I stuck your instructions for the code on my post. I'm gonna take Ships_init.C out of the file now. I sure hope people are able to figure this out . . .
dunno.gif

Or maybe I'll leave it in and if they have problems, they can do the code instructions I posted.

Here is a modified rey_a4. It is not finished, but with luck it should at least get the sails working.

Here is a modified rey_a4. It is not finished, but with luck it should at least get the sails working.

Looks good. All the yards are moving like they should be. Including the ones on the bowspirit.

[attachment=7362:moddingNGINE 2011-10-19 12-39-17-86.jpg]

BUT . . . You've got one extra sail on the bowspirit.
mybad.gif

[attachment=7363:moddingNGINE 2011-10-19 12-39-33-04.jpg]

Shoot. She's one sail away from being released. Keep up the good work. I'm sure you'll figure it out.
me.gif

Ohh. I had no ideer what you want. I have tried doing this on another ship with no luck, but will try again.

edit: Try this one.

Gave it a quick look in GMViewer and might have found the problem. Rey_a4 has all of its locators jammed into the middle. Is this a mini-sail?
Yes, that's a mini-sail. The yard should move, but won't without a sail of its own.
Moving the geometry locator onto the top yard won't work, because the lower yard will then drift sideways when the top yard moves.

From your testing, I think it's literally the size of the sail which is causing the weirdness. Increasing it seems to make everything work normally again.
However, increasing it without making it visible is the hard part. That's what we need to work on.
I just tried making each locator + or - 0.5 from the centre, as opposed to 0.1, and then increased the vertical distance as well.
The result was a tiny sail easily visible just beneath the yard. Bugger. :facepalm

I thought we were skipping Patch 7 and going Beta 2? Did I miss Patch 7?
dunno.gif
Hence I said 'Patch 7 WIP', which is in its second version now. It's a sort of transition between Beta 1 Patch 6 and Beta 2 Full, and we're only testing it internally on the forum.

There. I stuck your instructions for the code on my post. I'm gonna take Ships_init.C out of the file now. I sure hope people are able to figure this out . . .
dunno.gif

Or maybe I'll leave it in and if they have problems, they can do the code instructions I posted.
Actually, it might be best to leave out code files altogether, unless the Pearl and Revenge are bundled as one pack.
The reason is that if you release the Revenge separately after the Pearl, and include another code file, people will then overwrite the Pearl's code if they've installed it.
Best to just give a link to the installation instructions on the first page of this thread.

I've been working on this using the good ole WAG system (Wild Ass Guess) and have discovered like you that there has to be some vertical and horizontal separation of the locators.

But that leaves a white stripe hanging down under the spar................unless you change the sail type. :shoot: I changed the sail from saild to sailf and that stripe is gone! :mi

That still leaves one issue unresolved on the ship I'm working on. The ropes from the sail to that spar are invisible. :j3

Anyhoo, try this one and see if it has ropes.

That version gives the original no-show sails again. Might need some minor adjustments and then things should work properly.
Nice find about the sail type difference, though! :onya

EDIT: Aha! Gents, I think we may have a solution. :cheeky
Changing the vertical extremes to 0.25 and 0.45, and the horizontal extremes to +/-0.5 produces a sail which is only visible if you look hard enough.
The tiniest portion of it appears below the yard, and when using dark red sails it's almost unnoticeable anyway. All ropes are present too.

The last thing we need to do is move the flag from the mainmast to the bowsprit mast, as per the movie, and then we're done for the day. :dance
That is, unless there's more rigging to do, but it looks mostly fine to me.

Back