• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Black Pearl and QAR Progress

I just sent Armada a set of the Black Pearl models in OBJ format. It includes damaged and undamaged. I made a couple of adjustments to the undamged, which also went over to the damaged version, I raised the bottom of the belfrey so it wasn't in jack's cabin and gave the railing of the quarterdeck a slight curve by raising the lantern mount slightly. Also if it worked, you should see the other sides of the lanterns when you look through them. I also sent a stuff on deck model.

Oh man. Now I gotta update the downloads I set up for people. lol
mybad.gif

I hope I don't have to fix any textures because of this . . .

Maybe you should simply raise just the base of the belfry. Because now it's gonna have a bigger base that's twice as big and looks weird.

I just sent Armada a set of the Black Pearl models in OBJ format. It includes damaged and undamaged. I made a couple of adjustments to the undamged, which also went over to the damaged version, I raised the bottom of the belfrey so it wasn't in jack's cabin and gave the railing of the quarterdeck a slight curve by raising the lantern mount slightly. Also if it worked, you should see the other sides of the lanterns when you look through them. I also sent a stuff on deck model.

Oh man. Now I gotta update the downloads I set up for people. lol
mybad.gif

I hope I don't have to fix any textures because of this . . .

Maybe you should simply raise just the base of the belfry. Because now it's gonna have a bigger base that's twice as big and looks weird.

I DID just raise the base the rest of the belfrey is untouched. I shouldn't think you'll need to fix the textures, why would you need to?

Armada, do you have any idea why he has no sails?
dunno.gif
No, I'm a bit confused on that one. I can't see why any code changes etc would remove the sails. :facepalm

would be greate if those ships coud have lights
dont you think so?
We'd love to have lights on ships in PotC, but the coding involved would either be extremely difficult, or there's an easier way we just haven't figured out yet.
We might even need the source code to do it, which we don't have for PotC.

Armada, when I change the Pearl to the Cursed Pearl, her cannon ports are almost underwater. In addition to that, it keeps exploding while sailing and her health bar just goes down and down. What happened? does the waterline need to be adjusted?
dunno.gif

I was thinking . . . I could do some slight tweaks for the 4 Pearls.

1. Pre-Curse - When Bonjourmonami suggested I dirty up the Pearl, I saved the clean version. I could use the clean version for the pre-curse Pearl where she's newly risen.
2. Cursed - I'm not certain, but I think the figurehead is much darker for the cursed ship. I could also make her even dirtier than the current model to add to the whole cursed look.
3. Post-Curse - That's the new one we just released. nothing needed except the black sails need those lines taken out of them. That actually applies to the cursed and pre-cursed sails too.
4. Damaged - I could texture some "damage" to the ship and enhance the overall vision of that version.

And of course, I need to do the new Wicked Wench as well.
What do you think?
keith.gif
First off, WTF?! The code changes should make the waterline correct for all three existing variants... you might want to double-check you made the changes correctly. :?

As for texture tweaks, I'm all for that, especially enhanced damage effects for the damaged Pearl. :onya

Thanks mate, these changes sound great! :doff I'll sort out the textures and exporting shortly.

Bonjourmonami, there's a slight problem with the models you sent me: they're just one whole component, rather that the separate components which can be textured individually. :facepalm
Would it be OK, if I uploaded the Maya Binary file of the finished undamaged Pearl, for you to reapply the changes you made?
That way, the ship already has the textures applied, and I can export them very quickly from there.

EDIT: could you also adjust the path model, so the player won't walk into the 'stuff on deck'?

Bonjourmonami, there's a slight problem with the models you sent me: they're just one whole component, rather that the separate components which can be textured individually. :facepalm
Would it be OK, if I uploaded the Maya Binary file of the finished undamaged Pearl, for you to reapply the changes you made?
That way, the ship already has the textures applied, and I can export them very quickly from there.

EDIT: could you also adjust the path model, so the player won't walk into the 'stuff on deck'?

Could you export each of the components into OBJ format please, it's just that then I can do it in blender which is much quicker and easier, plus then I gon't have to reinstall maya on my pc. I know I'm being a pain but maya has a tendency to muck up my computer. Would you like me to add a curtain in the cabin doorway?

I also sent a stuff on deck model.

What about the boats?

I DID just raise the base the rest of the belfrey is untouched. I shouldn't think you'll need to fix the textures, why would you need to?

Idk. Seems like any time Armada ever tweaked the models I'd have to fix a couple textures.
rolleyes.gif

No, I'm a bit confused on that one. I can't see why any code changes etc would remove the sails. :facepalm

I've had 2 people say the sails don't always load.
dunno.gif
I don't know what to do.

First off, WTF?! The code changes should make the waterline correct for all three existing variants... you might want to double-check you made the changes correctly. :?

Remember on page 1 of this thread where you tell everyone about the code adjustments with both ships? Was I supposed to make those adjustments for ALL versions of the Pearl?
readon.gif

I also sent a stuff on deck model.

What about the boats?

Idk. Seems like any time Armada ever tweaked the models I'd have to fix a couple textures.
rolleyes.gif

dunno.gif
I don't know what to do.

Remember on page 1 of this thread where you tell everyone about the code adjustments with both ships? Was I supposed to make those adjustments for ALL versions of the Pearl?
readon.gif

I've never liked having the boats on the deck, it's just another obstacle to manoeuvre around during battle, hope it's ok if I leave them off the models

I've never liked having the boats on the deck, it's just another obstacle to manoeuvre around during battle, hope it's ok if I leave them off the models

I'm surprised to hear you say that considering how much you much you've been pushing for accuracy.
razz.gif

I suppose I could put them on the undamaged one, I mainly use the damaged version because it has more character. Plus, it would be movie accurate because the Kraken made mince meat of them in DMC

I suppose I could put them on the undamaged one, I mainly use the damaged version because it has more character. Plus, it would be movie accurate because the Kraken made mince meat of them in DMC

Except for one.
rolleyes.gif
lol There was one boat left, remember? I haven't looked at the damaged model yet. Does it have the big hole in the cabin windows? I remember after the kraken, there was a big gaping hole in the stern.

Ok I think I fixed the sail problem for the QAR.
william.gif

Open PROGRAM/Ships/ships_init.c in a text editor such as Notepad.
Find the Queen Anne's Revenge's code near the bottom of the list.

Replace the 2 lines: "sail_QueenAnnesRevenge.tga.tx";

With: "sail_QueenAnnesRevenge.tga";

Remember to replace both lines.

I think that will work. Let me know if it doesn't.
dunno.gif

I got the lines off the Pearl's sails now. I have the solid and patched sails done. The cursed ones are gonna be tricky as hell.
type_1.gif

What do you think? How do the sails look? How's the color?

[attachment=7386:moddingNGINE 2011-10-25 01-17-39-98.jpg]

Could you export each of the components into OBJ format please, it's just that then I can do it in blender which is much quicker and easier, plus then I gon't have to reinstall maya on my pc. I know I'm being a pain but maya has a tendency to muck up my computer. Would you like me to add a curtain in the cabin doorway?
Hmm, I guess I could do that. Are there any other file formats which Blender could import instead?
I could try exporting the Maya files into a different format which Blender will accept, if that seems easier.

rolleyes.gif
That's because of editing the UVs, which are what map the textures onto the model.

dunno.gif
I don't know what to do.
I'm so stupid. I've just remembered why the sails might not appear.
They weren't officially added to the list of sails you can choose from, because I just replaced a different set of sails for testing purposes. :modding
I think it's only a minor adjustment to fix it, now I just need to find the post where Pieter explained what that adjustment was...

readon.gif
OK, just to recap:
For the Black Pearl code updates
Open PROGRAM/Ships/ships_init.c in a text editor such as Notepad, and find the line:
Code:
refShip.Name				= "BlackPearl";
There should be three occurrences of this line. For each one, scroll down slightly until you find: (etc...)
Three occurrences of that line... three versions of the Black Pearl. Coincidence...? :wp

I haven't looked at the damaged model yet. Does it have the big hole in the cabin windows? I remember after the kraken, there was a big gaping hole in the stern.
Yes, it has a gaping hole in the cabin windows. The door has been blown off, along with the leftmost stern lantern, and various other holes in he hull.

I got the lines off the Pearl's sails now. I have the solid and patched sails done. The cursed ones are gonna be tricky as hell.
type_1.gif

What do you think? How do the sails look? How's the color?
It all looks good to me! :onya
Sorry the cursed sails are so complex... blame the ship's crew for neglecting them! :razz
Perhaps you could try some clever Photoshop process and apply the holes from the cursed sails to the solid sails somehow? Might save you some time if it works.

Ok I think I fixed the sail problem for the QAR.
william.gif

Open PROGRAM/Ships/ships_init.c in a text editor such as Notepad.
Find the Queen Anne's Revenge's code near the bottom of the list.

Replace the 2 lines: "sail_QueenAnnesRevenge.tga.tx";

With: "sail_QueenAnnesRevenge.tga"; Man, you did it! :onya Now it`s working!!! :woot :woot :woot

Remember to replace both lines.

I think that will work. Let me know if it doesn't.
dunno.gif
Man, you did it! :onya Now it`s working!!! :woot :woot :woot

That fixed it? Well that was easier than I thought. Well spotted, LS. xD:
However, I still think there's a small code change that needs doing for the sails to appear in the 'Choose sails' interface alongside all the others.

Armada, Blender accepts VRML, so if you'd rather export into that format, that'd be ok. OBJ or VRML, which ever is easier for you :keith

That fixed it? Well that was easier than I thought. Well spotted, LS. xD:
However, I still think there's a small code change that needs doing for the sails to appear in the 'Choose sails' interface alongside all the others.

Well let me know how to do that when you figure it out. In the meantime, this little tweak seems to have fixed it. Even though people sent me textures for the QAR's sails, I never ended up using them. The QAR sails are entirely my creation that I made from scratch.
me.gif

I was trying to figure out if I could use a "stencil" method to apply your holes to my solid Pearl sails. For the Pearl sails, what you're actually looking at is modified QAR sails.
rolleyes.gif

Well now I'm just lost. I made the code changes to the other two Pearls, but the cursed and un-cursed Pearl are STILL up to their cannon ports in water and the cursed Pearl keeps exploding till it sinks.
modding.gif

What the hell?

Back