• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Need Help Black screen after intro

rivendare

Landlubber
Hello,
I've discovered New Horizons just recently and I wanted to give it a go. Sadly though, I can't make it work.
Firstly, I had to run the normal game using win98 compatibility with intel fix, or else it would stutter and play very slowly (without the fix it wouldn't launch at all). After downloading the Build 14 part 1 and 2, following the instructions on how to install it and trying to launch the game, I get a black screen right after the loading screen appearing at the end of intro. My game isn't installed inside any Program Files directory, I've adjusted the resolution in engine.ini, tried running the game with different compatibility settings, as well as without any and the result is still the same. Intro, loading screen with spinning coin, black screen.
Important notice (I think), I've changed the seadogs.c file a bit to omit the erroneous install error (just removed the part of the code responsible for the error check), since there were completely no errors during the installation itself, and some other thread on this forum suggested that it was a false call. Before doing that, I was getting the mentioned error upon launching the game.
There is no error.log file anywhere in the directory, the compile.log and system.log are in the attachment.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers

Attachments

• compile.log
    1.7 KB · Views: 185
  • system.log
    451 bytes · Views: 201
Last edited:
The check for erroneous install simply looks for a file called "build14_beta4_final" in the "RESOURCE" folder. That should be present in any valid installation. Check your "RESOURCE" folder and see if the file is present - it should be at the top level, not in a sub-folder. If it's not, you have a faulty installation.

The check for erroneous install simply looks for a file called "build14_beta4_final" in the "RESOURCE" folder. That should be present in any valid installation. Check your "RESOURCE" folder and see if the file is present - it should be at the top level, not in a sub-folder. If it's not, you have a faulty installation.
The file is there. That's why I did the skip trick, as seen in some other thread. The person also stumbled upon the black screen error, but apparently it got fixed by just removing the win98 compatibility - for me it did not.

Edit:
The mentioned thread: Erroneous install error

By the way, the build14_beta4_final file is empty, dunno if it should be. It's 0 KB and contains nothing.

Yes, the file is supposed to be empty. It just needs to exist so that the check for erroneous installation can find it.

What antivirus software do you have on your PC?

Yes, the file is supposed to be empty. It just needs to exist so that the check for erroneous installation can find it.

What antivirus software do you have on your PC?
I'm currently using F-Secure. Should I try running (or perhaps - installing) the game, disabling it beforehand?

It might be worth a try. Some anti-virus software has been known to interfere with the game.

Perhaps disconnect the network cable from the PC before you disable F-Secure. That should stop anything nasty from getting at the PC while it's unprotected. Don't forget to re-enable F-Secure after you've finished with the game!

It might be worth a try. Some anti-virus software has been known to interfere with the game.

Perhaps disconnect the network cable from the PC before you disable F-Secure. That should stop anything nasty from getting at the PC while it's unprotected. Don't forget to re-enable F-Secure after you've finished with the game!
Amazingly, after disabling the firewall and antivirus protection, then fully re-installing the game and the mods, it now works wonderfully. It crashed at first, but applying the intel fix took care of that.

Thank you very much for help, mr. Grey Roger. Off I go to test out the new stuff :)

Amazingly, after disabling the firewall and antivirus protection, then fully re-installing the game and the mods, it now works wonderfully.
Great news!

Could it be that @Ereandur has the same virus scanner? If so, this should probably mentioned in our FAQ.
Or perhaps someone should contact F-Secure and tell them their software has unintended side-effects. :shock

Back