• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Erroneous install error

No errors during installation at all, Sorry for being unclear.
I have added screenshots of the insides of the folders, If you have anymore questions, just direct me to the folders and I'll look into them to see where the problem is.

Attachments

• files for installation error.docx
    755 KB · Views: 210
No errors during installation at all, Sorry for being unclear.
I have added screenshots of the insides of the folders, If you have anymore questions, just direct me to the folders and I'll look into them to see where the problem is.
Interesting; you DO have the "build14_beta4_final" file that I expected to see, which suggests the installation worked the way it should.

Could you upload the PROGRAM\seadogs.c file from your main game folder?
You probably have to ZIP it up first.

@Grey Roger or @Mad Jack Wolfe: Can you check your own RESOURCE folders?
I wonder if the name of that file got changed at some point, so that the game now gets confused.

SO I got a mail in your last reply that states "Please rename your "RESOURCE\build14_beta4_final" file to "RESOURCE\build14_beta4_final"." Is it just me or do I not see any difference between the two XD

Here ya go.
Thanks!

Please open PROGRAM\seadogs.c with Notepad and REMOVE this section of code:
Code:
 // PB: Catch Erroneous Install -->
 if (FindFile("", "RESOURCE\*.*", "build14_beta4_final") == "")
 {
  LaunchInstallError();
 }
 else
 {
  LaunchMainMenu();
 }
 // PB: Catch Erroneous Install <--
That is the part that stops your game from working.

I don't understand why that triggers, since the required file does appear to exist for you with its correct name. For all I can tell, it should already work.
But since it doesn't and your installation process seems to have gone smoothly, I think it is safe to make this change for you.

SO I got a mail in your last reply that states "Please rename your "RESOURCE\build14_beta4_final" file to "RESOURCE\build14_beta4_final"." Is it just me or do I not see any difference between the two XD
Sorry; I didn't pay proper attention when I wrote that post, which is why I deleted it again.
I thought there was a mismatch in names, but there doesn't appear to be, which is WEIRD.
Anyway, the above will hopefully work better.

Now it just blackscreens on me and gives the windows prompt: the programms has possibly been uncorrectly installed

Now it just blackscreens on me and gives the windows prompt: the programms has possibly been uncorrectly installed
Extract attached file to your PROGRAM subfolder, then try to start the game.
If anything weird happens, please upload the compile.log file from your main game folder.

Attachments

• seadogs.zip
    19.7 KB · Views: 148
Just incase: where Can I find that .log file? (first time I have to dig that deep for a mod sorry for all the questions)

Edit: after multiple tries: It will not adapt the file to the one you sent me. I tried five times now.

I added screenshots, where to from that point, Cause Im not sure the main files are here. (Yet they were before the mod was installed)

Attachments

• files installation error 2.docx
    282.3 KB · Views: 190
So the path I know have is C:\Games\Bethesda Softworks\Pirates of the Caribbean that is the path the mod gave me when installing, I have also seen forums that use the C:\Games\Pirates of the Caribbean Path. Which is preferable?

Im going to uninstall the whole kingkaboodle and see if I can get it to work in that way with the zip file you sent me.

So the path I know have is C:\Games\Bethesda Softworks\Pirates of the Caribbean that is the path the mod gave me when installing, I have also seen forums that use the C:\Games\Pirates of the Caribbean Path. Which is preferable?
Shouldn't matter.

Im going to uninstall the whole kingkaboodle and see if I can get it to work in that way with the zip file you sent me.
You can do that right now; even without reinstalling.

You do have a "compile.log"; I see it on your screenshot.

Either path should be alright. The important thing is not to put it into "C:\Program Files\<anything>" or "C:\Program Files (x86)\<anything>". If the game is installed in either of those, Windows is liable to do silly things to it.

Could you also upload "system.log"? That is also present on your screenshot. Though, because Windows doesn't show file extensions by default, what you're looking for are just "system" and "compile".

(never mind found them, I was just being stupid.)

Also: when I try to extract the file Pieter sent me, it does not allow me to do it, it keeps the original file in there resulting in the Erroneous install message. When I adapt the file and remove the lines Pieter gave me, it results in a black screen that does nothing. :/

Attachments

• Systems + compile files .docx
    490.1 KB · Views: 202
Last edited:
Also: when I try to extract the file Pieter sent me, it does not allow me to do it, it keeps the original file in there resulting in the Erroneous install message. When I adapt the file and remove the lines Pieter gave me, it results in a black screen that does nothing. :/
That sounds BEYOND weird. It reminds me of when Windows Security Stupidity (especially on Windows 10) would make modding virtually impossible.
This is common in Program Files, but normally doesn't occur outside it.

You may indeed want to reinstall to C:\Games\Pirates of the Caribbean in the hope that Windows/virus scanner will allow to be installed properly.

IT WORKS.

So the problem was: I was running it in compatibility mode for 98/Me Somehow that screwed it up and I was unaware of it running in that mode. Sorry to waste your time lads, A thousand thanks for helping me and spending so much time on this. Thanks Guys!

Last edited by a moderator:
Just incase: where Can I find that .log file? (first time I have to dig that deep for a mod sorry for all the questions)

Edit: after multiple tries: It will not adapt the file to the one you sent me. I tried five times now.

That should not be happening. Something is blocking you from properly installing POTC. Try installing it to C:\Pirates of the Caribbean and see if it works. If it does not, then try to make an exception for POTC in your antivirus.

EDIT: Aha! The devil is in the details.

I just had the same issue and thankfully found this thread after posting my own on these forums.

I had just played Vanilla PotC storyline and decided to give this mod a go. So I uninstalled vanilla PotC, made sure all files were gone including save files, and installed a fresh copy.

For some reason, windows seems to think that if you ever had a file called ENGINE.EXE set to be run in compatibility mode for windows version X/Y/Z, all future ENGINE.EXE files, even if created by a brand new install, will conveniently also be put as 'run in compatibility mode'. I would have never ever thought about this possibility (why on earth does Windows do this in the first place) and given that a lot of people have had a previous install set to 'run in compatibility mode' I'm guessing a lot of people will get a false-positive 'Erroneous install' error, as the latest version of the Build Mod requires a fresh install..

Best include a text like 'Make sure that 'run in compatibility for Windows version X/Y/Z is no longer enabled for Emgine.exe AFTER installation.' in the tutorial/FAQ/Installation instructions/Opening post.

Cheers,
ExtincE

Back