• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Boarding spawnpoint

Scoundrel

Sailor Apprentice
Its really annoying that during boarding another ship (or fight in small space in general) everyone just pushes character around.

The fact that during one-on-one fight enemy sometimes pushes me back is even tolerable - in real fight that is normal.
But it was most annoying thing when I played M&B and the same thing is here - npc can push me if he wants but I cant push him. Is he more important or something?
Even if there is no possibility to fix this maybe its possible to fix their AI so they'd choose enemies that are closest to them. I often saw two lines of sailors that suppose to fight each other but everyone just happen to choose enemy from second line, so there was just a bunch of guys pushing each other and no bloodshed.

And when I thought about problems with getting ANY fight, because player is almost always spawned in second line (few scenes from vanilla PotC are exception, when everyone starts with one on one action) and its almost impossible to get past them until they die (and we dont want officers to die)... I got some idea. Two actually.

One.
How about choosing spawnpoint?
If I'm weak but with hight leadership I'd prefer to start behind my men. With things as they are maxing my fighting skill is normal thing. But if I could hide behind my companions and crew I could focus on other, maybe even more important skills (seriously - every captain has to be friggin' Zatoichi singlehanded killing half of enemies?)
So basically I'd be glad to see that I can either hide behind my men or be sure that no moron will be in my way when I bring death to enemies.
(gun hold and cabin are the worst I think - luckilly officers are retarded so I have time to go in front)

Two.
Auto combat.
If I dont want to be in first line why do I even want to plunder every enemy deck personally? And maybe I'm just a fat merchant and dont want to leave my cabin?
I heard a word about AI boarding enemies during fight. Now I havent ever seen pc trying to board me before I came into proper range - computer ALWAYS just shoots. If someone would make proper scripts enemy pirates could try to board players ship and he doesnt necessarily want to fight - he has people to fight for him.

Of course they wont be glad seeing that ol' cap i a coward, but good companions could still lead crew to victory. Lets say with 2 or 3 points penalty on his leadership.

During boarding battles I think you do spawn behind your sailors and beside or behind your officers. I rarely make it to the fighting and have to stand back and shoot at the enemy. That's ok because I die a lot anyway. :))

The enemy ships will try to board you if they outnumber you. If your crew numbers are approx. even they won't try to board you. Sailing a small ship with short range guns against a large ship with a large crew is risky business that can get you boarded and slaughtered. :ixi

The enemy ships will try to board you if they outnumber you.
It just happened to me.
I apologise AI for calling it complete dumbass, he just tried to board me :2guns
I was lucky to be at full speed so he just passed by.
And on second thought I cant blame him for first making sure that he has advantage, its just a game so AI has no chance in equal fight.

But option to choose if I want avoid them or be in first line would make boarding less annoying ;) Because Im talking FAR end of spawn area, not just the second line. And still there are few enemies that choose you as number one target and will just pass by my men (ignoring and being ignored) just to get player character.

Back