• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Need Help Build 14 2 lite

simking

Sailor Apprentice
Storm Modder
Well after the 14 update the game was shuddering so bad i had to shelf it..I decided to give another go did a FRESH install put build 14 and 14.2lite. now I hear 1 sec of what i believe is a cannon firing the sound gets cut off screen goes black and sits for eternity. Until I end the program.
I cannot use the confg options because it says "Engine INI or options file missed"
Its a fresh install so what happened to it?
can anyone help I really want to get back into the game.
Windows XP
AMD triple core 2G ram
Nvidia Gforce 9000GTX (updated drivers)

:ahoy matey!

You are not getting far enough into the program to initialize the engine.ini, so it is not showing up yet. If you could get to the main screen and then exit, then it would show up and you could edit it and the config file.

So, where is POTC installed? I hope not in program files. If you had POTC working before there should not be any DEP issues.

Shuddering? Like bad fps? In your Nvidia control panel POTC is listed as Cossacks II. You can create a profile just for it there.

Well it is in program files but since I am NOT running windows 7 and that's where it was before their should be no problems. What would creating a profile do? yes bad FPS since build 14.

Does the stock game run ok? Something is killing your install before it even gets started. Did you run the runme.bat? Maybe something did not get installed.

Creating a profile just for POTC will let you optimize your settings for this game while keeping your settings for other stuff.

But the movie DOES start to load. And THEN the game crashes. Try this: Open your RESOURCE\VIDEOS folder and move ALL folders somewhere else. Then load the game again.

But the movie DOES start to load. And THEN the game crashes. Try this: Open your RESOURCE\VIDEOS folder and move ALL folders somewhere else. Then load the game again.
Wow how the hell did you figure that one? raise a pint to you sir..it runs smooth as a freshly shaved...cat my question is will this affect any cut scenes? thanks mate

Well... since you removed all video files, any cutscenes will be skipped. There aren't that many though.

Anyway, we've got the following in our FAQ which may be messing you up:
The game tends not to work if:
- You use ffdshow and don't have the game added to your "exception list"
If that is the case, try adding the game to the "exception list" and putting the videos back, then try again.
Otherwise, you can just play the game without the videos. They aren't quite crucial anyway.

:facepalm

I keep forgetting about that. There are so many little things that can cause problems.....

About ffdshow, I did not know I had it and had problems. Set an exception for it and that worked for nearly a year before things went bad again. It came in a codec pack I was using for making movies and the exception was no longer working. In the end I had to delete ffdshow. I noticed no issues afterwards.

Back